• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Introducing myself. And complimentary treatments.

Glitzymeesh

Kisses was the love of my life. She was a Blenheim and came into my life in 1982. I shared a flat with a girlfriend then and we bought 2 puppies from the same litter. After a year we got our own homes, married, etc, etc. But we still shared walks with the two dogs.

My girlfriend always gave into the begging for food, and before long hers was pretty overweight. Sadly hers had a heart attack and died at 10 years. I was very strict with food and kept Kisses very slim. Small meals and no titbits. However at 11 she had spinal problems and struggled with walking and stairs. The vet said she probably only had a few months to live as the pain would progress.

I decided to take her to the homeopathic vet I'd heard on the radio for a second opinion. He gave her homeopathic remedies and acupuncture. Well you couldn't believe the change in her. She became like a puppy again, jumping on the furniture again, skipping, etc. Really a miracle.

One day when she was 14, she came with me, my husband and our 4 year old daughter for a walk in the beautiful woods near our house. My daughter got tired and sat down and refused to walk back home. My husband picked her up and put her on his shoulders for the walk back home. Kisses looked at them and refused to walk too (she'd never done this before). So I picked her up, carried her home in my arms and stroked and talked to her as we walked home.

As we got into the home we just carried on with preparing the family lunch. Then, as I walked towards the side door..... I found her lying on the floor motionless with eyes open, but her soul had disappeared. Yes, she had very peacefully passed away.

I have always been grateful to God for giving me that final moment with her in my arms, and letting us have that beautiful and natural farewell. I was also grateful to the wonderful vet who gave us three bonus years together. That was in 1996.

Back to the present. I saw that vet again last week. I took my two year old Blenheim Trissy to see him. I think she has SM. As we discussed the emergence of this illness, we harped back to my Kisses and wondered maybe SM was around then, but was never recognised... Could she have had it too? Who knows?

As a puppy, my little Trissy often chewed the leather of her paws. I once took her to the vet as she was chewing her legs raw, but has stopped that habit now. It seemed strange because she was rarely alone, so it wasn't out of boredom. She also does a bit of fly catching. She can be a bit snappy if you move her when she's asleep and can growl if unpredictable young children come too close. I know this is not normal cavalier behaviour. I think it's because she's scared of being manhandled. Anyway, normally I wouldn't worry as she's an affectionate, frisky dog, but when I took her to the usual vet for her 2 year check up, he told me he suspected she could have SM.

I always said if something was seriously the matter with Trissy, due to my positive experience beforehand, I would always go back to this homeopathic vet. So there i was last week telling him all about Trissy's habits. So now she is having three homeopathic remedies that she has to take every other day. The vet says she's physically fine and doesn't need acupuncture yet, and that the homeopathic tablets will build up her immune system for the moment. But he agrees that she probably has SM.

Am I angry? No. Do I blame the breeder (a top UK one)? No.

Nothing in life is guaranteed to be perfect. You can do everything right, help the community, buy ethical goods, etc, etc and bad things can still happen to you.

When my daughter was born 20 years ago with Downs syndrome, I thought why me? I did everything right in my pregnancy, kept smokers away from me, ate all the right foods, etc, etc. I was so angry with the doctors for not doing the right tests, etc. I even started to sue them.

It took about six months to realise why me.... why, because I was going to make a difference. I investigated what was available for her, but decided to do lots of complimentary things as well. Those therapies I did with my daughter made her defy all the odds. She went to mainstream schools, speaks 2 languages and is currently learning a 3rd. And has a full time job which she travels to on the tube everyday.

As more research is happening for SM, we need to share any positive developments... And there will be. I would like to hear from anybody who has had positive results from any other new or complimentary treatments. I am trying out different things at the moment, and will share them with you if I feel they're making a difference.

Thanks

Such an inspirational story, I hope you find the answers you're looking for with Trissy, I am sure with such a loving and caring mummy she will.

I saw that vet again last week. I took my two year old Blenheim Trissy to see him. I think she has SM. As we discussed the emergence of this illness, we harped back to my Kisses and wondered maybe SM was around then, but was never recognised... Could she have had it too? Who knows?

SM has undoubtedly been around for decades. Breeders have reported having cavaliers that could not be walked on a collar and lead because of uncontrollable scratching way back in the 1970s & 80s.

Nicki is very knowledgeable on homeopathic remedies for SM and other health problems. I'm sure she will be delighted to share information with you.

Very inspirational! Thank you so much for sharing.

I look forwrad to updates on Trissy. :)

Thank you for sharing! They all deserve the best mom, and they got one. I wish Trissy nothing but the best.

--

Chloe.

what a lovely story, and what a wise lady you are!!!! i.ve had various health issues with ruby who has sm. but she continues to amaze me. i,am sure trissy will be the same. and any decisions you make will be wise. same as you i,am looking for alternative medicine as ruby has also been diagnosed with primary secretary otis media,and has lost her hearing. karen x

i,am looking for alternative medicine as ruby has also been diagnosed with primary secretary otis media,and has lost her hearing. karen x

Sorry to hear this Karen :( My Tommy recently had myringotomy surgery for this and it really helped, his hearing returned 100%.

There is more info about the condition here http://cavalierhealth.org/psom.htm

My vet contacted Lynette K. Cole, DVM, MS, DACVD of The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, who has been researching PSOM.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]She replied: I am advising my clients that have cavaliers with PSOM of which I have flushed their middle ears to use N acetyl cysteine. However....I have NO idea of its efficacy, since I have not studied its use critically. I have not seen any side effects with its use. In the USA it is available over the counter, so I do not have a particular brand that I have them use. I will advise them to look for the 600 mg timed release formulation and have them give it once a day.

It has to be capsules not powder as it deteriorates once exposed to air. I have not been able to obtain a timed release formulation but obtained some from Amazon which we have just started, Holland and Barrett also stock it.

I will let you know how we get on!

***Glitzymeesh, I will reply to you a bit later, have to go off for a bit now.

thank you nicki enjoyed viewing your beautiful photos, i have taken notes on the information you gave me, and will look in to it. i went to a referal centre where ruby was scanned, and advised no surgery, because it usually reoccurs frequently, but will get further advise from my local vet. karen

Back