• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lights and Shadows

ashleighelizabeth

Just in the last two weeks Sonny has been going crazy in the late afternoon-through the evening as the sun goes down. He barks and chases all of the little lights that come through the blinds, or little lights reflected from drinking glasses, telephones , computers ect. My concern is that I know it is bad to use those little laser lights due to Cavaliers being prone to OCD. However I feel like these little lights reflected by different things and through the blinds are essentially like the laser lights. The little lights move especially if a tree is outside or someone picks up a glass. Or it has even happened with my husband's watch. We have tried really hard to minimize the shadows and lights coming through but it is impossible to prevent it.

He only has this problem from about 4-7, when the sun is going down.

Any one have any suggestions? Or should I be concerned? He barks and runs and chases the little lights. He seems very fixated and becomes a little spastic....

I'd talk to your vet. This sounds like an obsessive compulsive reaction, same as with laser lights. There's not necessarily anything you can do, and I wouldn't medicate just for this, but I'd have a chat with a vet. Maybe take the approach of managing the situation by closing blinds? Having him in a room where the lights aren;t shifting?

Is your cavalier more active? Perhaps he needs an outlet for his energy? I agree, take him to the vet for a check-up and consult with your vet, then try an extra walk in the evening.

Thanks guys. I will talk to the vet to make sure he isn't concerned about anything neurologically.

I was hoping someone else might have had the experience with the lights and told me this was just a phase. :confused:

He is a very active cavalier, but I think that is partly because he is still a puppy at 11 months. He gets at least two, sometimes three walks a day and lots of play time in the backyard.

The only method I have found that works sometimes is giving him a chew to distract him during this time of day....

Well I guess I will just hope he grows out of it! :)

Thanks again for the replies.

My Chelsea is a light chaser. Watches, sparkles, even when I open the frig in the morning she is waiting to see if the light will flash across the wall. All of these are short lived and she is easily distracted. When I first noted this I realized that I should minimize this kind of light flashes and no laser play. Good luck.

Back