• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stinky breath

My Henry Boy

Henry has very stinky breath. Like knock your socks off, eeew.
He eats high quality dry kibble. He gets a raw veggie treat at night when I
Fixing dinner. We don't do canned wet foods. And he gets some small crunchy training treats.
Would brushing his teeth help this much? How often should I brush his teeth. Or is it something worse, that I may be missing?

I asked a question about brushing a dogs teeth a bit ago and I was told it made a big difference. I talked to my vet too she said its a good idea to get puppies used to it ASAP I brush Fletcher's teeth every other night. Search for my post on that someone even recommended sometime called....oh let me remember Petzlife gel no brushing needed. Other than better breathe clean teeth are good for their over all health and may help you avoid expensive professional cleanings or you can go longer in between them.

Melissa

I need to go to the pet store tomorrow and see what I can get him. I'm also not sure if his overbite is causing it too, with all his teeth not crunching the kibbles and bones.
I'll post an update on the brushing fiasco. I know already it will be :fun: lol

If he's only 23 weeks and has bad breath, you really probably need a vet visit as that isn't normal. On an older dog, the main culprit would typically be tooth decay and gingivitis, needing a dental; but in a puppy who will still have primariy puppy teeth (which really only need practice brushing as they are going to come out, but good to train him to tolerate brushing) the most likely reason -- assuming he isn't getting into a cat litter box or finding cat poop outside, which will REALLY cause bad breath in the hours after they eat it -- is probably health related.

Thus you really need a vet to have a look. Worms could cause bad breath. Teething could cause bad breath. Some GI disorders. Eating his own poop or that of other dogs, or of cats. Lots for you to eliminate but if poop eating isn't a very obvious answer, then you *do* need a trip to the vet. (y) You cannot buy anything that will address this. Store bought wormers are not very good (and some have had high levels of dangerous reactions).

PS Often people have not adequately wormed their puppy (they need it done several times; many are born with worms from the mother) -- the best and safest wormers are from the vet's office so again, a vet visit is probably in line.

He's not a poop eater, and he's the only animal so no cat boxes. He's been wormed several times. But I will call and bring him into the vet this week. He has a mix of puppy teeth and secondary teeth. They don't look decayed and his gums look good. I'm hoping it's an easy fix like worms. I'll update this week.

Hi
If you are going to use a product like Petzlife pls use it on a toothbrush as there is no substiute for brushing .Have a look at some of my old posts
on teeth ,we have been using Petzlife and other products since my girls were all pups and I clean their teeth every night with an assortment of stuff
but Petzlife and Logic gel are two of the best .

Best Wishes

brian

Okay, update time we had a 3pm est vet visit.
They tested his poop for worms, and checked him all over.
He does need two baby teeth pulled out, but that's not what they think is causing the bad breath.
We have been given a toothbrush and some chicken flavored toothpaste.
We have also noticed and discussed his eating habits. We don't think he likes his food, as he skip meals and eat very little. So we were advised to switch his food to see if he eats more. It may be just stomach acids that we ate smelling.
Today we went and got new food and started the transition, he ate out all the new food and left the old ... So that may be some of the issue.
I'll keep updating as we get any progress.

If you're playing the game of bribing him to eat: I have found a sunny-side up egg solves most problems. (stir it in so the runny yolk coats the food with little bits of egg white scattered throughout.

I'm new, but really, you should get in the habit of brushing your dog's teeth daily. My guy is 3, and I have been brushing daily since March. His breath is really less stinky, and the vet was able to tell when we went today that I have been brushing his teeth. Most of those gels are useless, and really won't do the job that brushing will do.
http://www.vohc.org/
That's the veterinary oral health council page. They do give some products a seal of approval, so you can see what products might be helpful there.

Back