PDA

View Full Version : Spangle is limping really badly!

Spangly
10th June 2012, 10:54 PM
Poor Spangle started to limp really badly after her walk this morning. She hasn't had any problems on the walk and we can't find anything in her paw or pads. It's her front right leg and she will hardly walk any steps and keeps holding her paw up and doesn't want to put any weight on it.
We are stopping her going up and down steps, stairs and the sofa, we lift her instead. She has spent the entire day by my side on the sofa. She has eaten her dinner tonight and a neem
stick and she hasn't cried or whimpered at all.
We are taking her to the vet at 09.00 tomorrow.
We are due to go on holiday on Sat! We just can't believe it! We are desperately hoping she will be OK by then as we can't cancel another holiday!
I am really worried about her, she seems very "flat" if you know what I mean.
Please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Jasperxxgabby
10th June 2012, 11:57 PM
Aww poor Spangles, maybe she twisted herself awkwardly on her walk :( hopefully it is nothing to serious and the vet will make her comfortable. Gentle hugs to little Spangle.

Spangly
11th June 2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks Andrea, you get so worried don't you especially when they can't tell you when they are in pain.

Jasperxxgabby
11th June 2012, 12:10 AM
Yes I know and its not nice seeing them unwell, you feel helpless.

Once Gabby was like as you describe Spangles, turned out she had hurt her shoulder, the anti inflamatory/painkilling injection the vet gave her and some metacam made her much more comfortable.
I hope Spangles will be back to her normal self for the weekend :)

Ruth
11th June 2012, 12:41 AM
With you saying she is 'flat' it could be that she is incubating an interdigital cyst, however I think she would be licking the area (even before it erupts they usually lick furiously).
The only other things I can think of other than an injury is a grass seed or a sting.

Sydneys Mom
11th June 2012, 12:57 AM
You're doing the right thing keeping her from jumping up and down furniture and avoiding the stairs. Let us know how the vet appointment goes tomorrow. Hopefully it will just be a small sprain or pulled muscle.

tupup
11th June 2012, 02:34 PM
hi, how did you get on at the vets this morn? Hope alls well:xfngr:

Spangly
11th June 2012, 03:24 PM
Well, we got up early this morning and she was perfectly normal, no limping at all!
So we decided to hold back visiting the vets. I had to go out for a little while but my OH took her for a walk and she was fine for about 15 mins then she developed a slight limp. Now she only seems to limp after first getting up from sleeping.
We have decided to just to watch her today and if it carries on then we will take her to vet's tomorrow. She really doesn't seem to be in pain, she is brighter and is eating normally.
Thanks for your replies. I will post about how she gets on.

murphy's mum
11th June 2012, 04:39 PM
Could she have jumped off of something and jarred her leg? We had a similar incident before Christmas with Murphy. He was limping really badly one night, and like you we were going to take him into the vets the next morning. The exact same thing happened! He was fine when he got up, and only limped a little after a short walk. He was fine by the next again day, and back to running around like crazy :)

Hopefully she'll be fine.

Karlin
11th June 2012, 04:40 PM
I would def take her to the vet -- she could have something embedded in the paw that you can't see, and something is going on if she is still limping and you haven't found anything on a basic check of her. You don't want your holiday threatened by things getting worse and right now it may be a very simple thing to address. :) I think you'll feel a lot better having it checked even if just to get an all-clear.

DZee
11th June 2012, 04:57 PM
I would tend to agree...I think a short visit to the Vet would be best as well. She may have only have a slight sprain...but at least you will have some assurance that it isn't anything really serious..and be able to enjoy your vacation ( or "holiday" as you say ~*wink*)

Kate H
11th June 2012, 07:49 PM
Sounds as if she may have pulled a muscle in her shoulder and it gets stiff while she's resting, then takes a minute or two to get moving again. I would have thought if it was something in her paw it would hurt whenever she put weight on it. I would see the vet, who might give you some metacam, which is excellent for muscle pain; then you can take it away with you and have something to hand if it flares up again. If it is a pulled muscle, resting her as much as possible (ie no walks) between now and Saturday would also help. But it really needs the vet to have a look, decide what the problem is and give appropriate treatment or medication.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Spangly
11th June 2012, 09:20 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I agree I will be taking her to the vet in the morning just to make sure.
Kate, we can't take her with us as we have a time share lodge in the Lake District which we've had for nearly 30 years (Colin's dad bought it for us before we had a dog), but sadly, they don't allow dogs.
So the lady who bred Spangle (and has her sister, mum and aunt) looks after her for us.
I wouldn't leave her with anyone else because of all her meds and eye lotions etc. She gave up breeding after she heard about Spangle's SM.
I still worry very much leaving her but she absolutely adores her sister and spends all the time snuggling up to her and won't leave her alone! Poor Daisy is probably glad to see her go at the end of the holiday!!

Nicki
11th June 2012, 09:41 PM
Oh I'm so sorry you've had this additional anxiety :( Do hope Spangle will be ok but it is probably sensible to get her checked out, esp with going away. Do hope you enjoy your holiday - will PM you x

MomObvious
11th June 2012, 10:40 PM
I'm glad your taking her it just in case. Hope all is well and you enjoy your vacation. By the way, smuggling my dogs on vacations is what I do best :rolleyes: We rent weekly beach houses and I don't care if they allow dogs or not, I'm a rule breaker when it comes to smuggling my dogs.....but it sounds like you have a great place for her to go. She just getting a separate vacation.

Melissa

Sabby
12th June 2012, 12:18 AM
On and of limping could also be her SM.

Harley started limping on his right front leg and we thought that it was an agility injury. X-rays didn’t show up anything he was on pain killers for 3 weeks nothing helped and he was what you called flat. An MRI showed that he had SM. One month later he just stopped limping.

Tania
12th June 2012, 12:16 PM
On and of limping could also be her SM.

Harley started limping on his right front leg and we thought that it was an agility injury. X-rays didn’t show up anything he was on pain killers for 3 weeks nothing helped and he was what you called flat. An MRI showed that he had SM. One month later he just stopped limping.

I had the same with Molly, hope it is not sm related and the vet puts your mind at rest.

Spangly
12th June 2012, 12:19 PM
Back from the vet's. Not our usual vet this morning, but she was very thorough and checked her over very carefully.
She can't find any swelling, gets no reaction when manipulating the leg. She thinks she has probably sprained the part of the leg that joins the foot (sorry, biology was never my best subject!).
Spangle's temp was slightly high too. She has given her an antibiotic injection and a painkilling injection too and I have to give her an anti inflammatory tablet tomorrow. She has to have complete rest, no walks, no jumping. If she is no better by Thurs I have to take her back for an xray.

lindylou
12th June 2012, 09:38 PM
hi
so sorry to read about spangle hope he has a speedy recovery

Nicki
13th June 2012, 12:33 PM
Have just PM'd you Christine, poor Spangle :( Hopefully it is just a soft tissue injury but it is sensible to have dosed her up and keep her rested for a few days. Do you use homoeopathic remedies? Arnica is very helpful for soft tissue injuries, you should be able to get it from your chemist. 30c is the normal dose available. I give 2 doses approx. 2 hours apart. then 3 times daily the next day until they are better.

Homoeopathy is generally most effective when prescribed individually [by a trained homoeopath] but some remedies are known to be particularly good in certain circumstances.

Nicki
13th June 2012, 12:34 PM
Just had a thought is Spangle on Trocoxil for her SM?

Spangly
13th June 2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone.
Nicki, no she isn't on Trocoxil.

Nicki
14th June 2012, 07:18 PM
Do hope poor Spangle is a bit better and you don't have to take her for x-rays. Try and enjoy your holiday :)

Spangly
14th June 2012, 11:43 PM
Thank you again. I took Spangle back to the vets again today just to be checked over before our/her holidays. She has improved quite a bit. The vet gave me 3 Corphodyl (spelling) tablets to give her for the next 3 days and told me to tell her breeder to try to keep resting her as much as possible!
So, I have had a long chat with Spangle and told her that she must do as she is told whilst she is with her sister, mum and aunty and not tear around the house and garden at 90 miles an hour!!!
She didn't look too impressed!
She goes at 10.00 tomorrow, but we don't leave until Sat morning. I really hate being in the house without her, it just does not feel right. Due to illness, hers and mine and other factors I haven't spent a night apart from her in about 14 months.
Scary!

Sydneys Mom
15th June 2012, 12:25 AM
Great news! I can imagine how hard it will be for you to leave her, but you're leaving her in good hands. Enjoy your holiday and try not to miss her too much. I know, easier said than done!

Jasperxxgabby
15th June 2012, 01:09 AM
I hope you and Spangles both enjoy your holidays, sounds like you will be having the separation anxiety lol. Great news that she is improving :)

Sabby
15th June 2012, 03:28 PM
Thank you again. I took Spangle back to the vets again today just to be checked over before our/her holidays. She has improved quite a bit. The vet gave me 3 Corphodyl (spelling) tablets to give her for the next 3 days and told me to tell her breeder to try to keep resting her as much as possible!
So, I have had a long chat with Spangle and told her that she must do as she is told whilst she is with her sister, mum and aunty and not tear around the house and garden at 90 miles an hour!!!
She didn't look too impressed!

Scary!

So glad Spangle is improving. Sounds like she will have lots of fun while you are away. Since we had Harley who is 4 now I never have been separated from my three.

Spangly
15th June 2012, 04:03 PM
Oh gosh Sabby then my 13 months together with Spangle is nothing in comparison!
She's been gone 4 hours now and it is so quiet and still in the house!
She isn't a noisy dog at all but it's strange how silent it is.
Packed our wellies, plastic macs and lots to read, that should just about cover it!!!

Margaret C
15th June 2012, 06:41 PM
I do hope you have a wonderful holiday, that the wellies aren't needed and the books are all a great read.

I wholeheartedly sympathise with how you feel. I am going on holiday in a few weeks and I have never had such a stressful time.

I have dogsitters coming to stay and I was anxious enough, having an ageing population of dogs, some with special needs and on various medication, but what I now need to ask the sitters to do is far beyond what I had imagined would be necessary.

The upshot is I don't want to go and I really regret agreeing in January that I would holiday abroad with the family.

My very precious Tommy, having been saved from euthanasia at the last moment by a diagnosis of pancreatitis and a change to a low fat diet( he was on a high fat diet for kidney disease ) then had to be given a dental. He was slow recovering and he remained reluctant to eat for a long time. He is much brighter now and has begun to eat better, but I still need to hand feed him his special diet to get him started.
Tommy sleeps soundly but always senses when I have moved away and within minutes he will come to find me.

On the Jubilee Bank Holiday Monday my little Japanese Chin, Dandy, slipped a disc and needed emergency surgery. He has to be on strict crate rest for 4 weeks and gradual 15 minutes out of the cage at a time for the next 3-4 weeks. The MRI showed he has a lot of other discs that are protruding so it is very important that he is managed carefully. He needs physiotherapy exercises three times a day and must be kept harnessed when carried out for his five minute toilet breaks; hiis care is very time consuming.
He is another that considers I am his safety net so he cries when he cannot see or hear me.

Some of the others also give concern. Fonzi is ageing and in the last couple of weeks has near enough given up coming for even a short stroll. His appetite is erratic.
Bridgette has to have a special diet to prevent bladder stones forming. She is very quick, very dominant and needs to be carefully watched as she shamelessly mugs the others for their food and treats.

It is a lot to ask of anyone who does not know my dogs.

Kind and experienced cavalier friends, who I know will give the poorly pair all the care they need, have offered to have Tommy & Dandy while I am away but I am worried that a change in their familiar surroundings, as well as a change of carer, may make things even worse for my two invalids.

Nicki
15th June 2012, 09:01 PM
Great news about Spangle :) hopefully that makes you feel a bit better about going away Christine. I'm sure her breeder will take good care of her and hopefully make her rest.

Margaret, I'm so very sorry, what an absolute nightmare for you :( Very difficult as you don't want to let your family down, but your loyalties must be terribly divided.

I wish we were nearer, we would try to help. It is so very hard having a houseful of oldies, esp at times like these. I'm sure your carers will take very good care of all your beloved companions, I know it won't be the same as you being there and they will miss you, but with love and care they will be ok.

Try to relax and enjoy your holiday so you come back fully refreshed and can cope again with the difficulties you face. I'm sure you will be leaving instructions what to do if someone is poorly etc.

Tania
15th June 2012, 09:35 PM
Christine, I hope you relax and have a wonderful time on holiday. I am sure Spangly will be fine and having her own fun holiday. We look forward to hearing your news when you return.

Brian M
15th June 2012, 09:45 PM
Hi Christine

Have a lovely holiday and I bet the sun shines next week ,I am sure Spangly will miss you as much as you miss him but he will
be fine and waiting to give you tons of licks on your return .

Jossep
18th August 2013, 09:20 PM
I have a 12 yr old female cavalier who started having a problem with her front left paw. I looked and couldn't find a problem. Sometimes, as they have webbed paws they get ingrown hairs that cause the paw to swell, making them lick it.
sometimes it causes a cyst that will burst which relieves the swelling. Had several vet offer several solutions. After much searching I used a combination of metacam( is like Advil for dogs) and Benadryl to relieve pain and swelling. I soaked the paw in Epsom salts with small amount of betadine disinfectant then dried the paw. If cyst burst go to your pharmacy and pick up Tinactin spray not liquid as these cysts are usually a combination of bacterial infection and Tinactin will kill the fungal discharge. My girl was total at fine the next day. Her pad and top part of her paw were very swollen and this worked. She has had them reoccur on both front paws and this helps greatly and will save hundreds of dollars in vet bills.