PDA

View Full Version : rubys heart



mollieblue
26th June 2012, 05:51 AM
I have my 3 cav to the vet today for their pet check and boosters. Barney (4 yr old tri) and Ruby (6 yr old Ruby) both have know murmurs and Ralphie seems clear so far (6 yr old B&T) So the vet has put Ruby on hearttablets and says her murmurs got worse and she had some fluid on her lungs. As far as her behaviour goes shes just the same but I'm thrown!! Shes my wee Baby! I can hardly look at her without wondering if I'm gonna loose her!! I'm going back to the vet tomorrow to pick up more tablets and am gonna ask him more questions but the tablets shes been given are the ones for congestive heart failure! Im oping this is just to get rid of the fluid and not a statement as to how bad her heart is!!!:confused:h*lp:(:(:(

Emkaybee
26th June 2012, 06:42 PM
IMO you need to take her to a veterinary cardiologist. I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend this. Was the decision to medicate her based on an x-ray, ultra-sound or just a "listen"? Your vet may well be right on target, but before you start medicating, I think you should have a specialist's consult. The specialist can then provide the treatment recommendations to your vet. There's so much information about this disease in Cavvies and I believe there are quite a few specialists in the UK. Good luck! I know I felt awful when I learned my Tess had a murmur. Remember that Ruby probably has a lot of time left in her!

lindylou
26th June 2012, 07:56 PM
hi
my rowley at the bridge was diganosed when he was 8 yrs old and on medication for 2.5 yrs
so they can live for quite a long time on medication
good luck with ruby sending kisses and cuddles to her from louie and his mum

Brian M
26th June 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi

If they are insured please take them to a cardiologist who will do all the tests and give you the best advice ,it is their speciality and a general
Vet can only guess at the severity of any heart condition .I take one of my girls who has a Grade 2 murmur to her Cardio on Friday for a check up.
Best wishes and good luck and pls keep us informed whatever you decide.


Brian

Tania
26th June 2012, 09:02 PM
I have almost completed MVD tomhelp pet owners on CavalierMatters website, please have a look it might help www.cavaliermatters.org
With the right medication, monitoring and care Ruby can be made comfortable. If you are able it would be best if you can get her properly assessed by a cardiologist.


Hugs to you and Ruby.

mollieblue
27th June 2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks everyone, I spent yesterday crying and hugging ruby like an idiot!! Then went back and had a chat to the vet again. I've to bring her back in a month for a check up. They reassured me that shes fine and treatable. But I'm gonna take your collective advice and see if I can get a cardiology referral. All my dogs are fully lifetime insured - thanks goodness! Hopefully there will be one locally. I'm heading to the lake district with all three dogs on saturday for 2 weeks so will follow this all up on my return. As far as Ruby is concrened she's no different!! Wee waggy tail and kisses and cuddles as usual!!
Thanks for your support xx
ann xx

Brian M
27th June 2012, 09:47 PM
Hi
On the 7th July we are all up there for a week at our same cottage up on Lake Bassenthwaite in the north lakes but we
drive all over so keep an eye out for The FlowerCavs.

mollieblue
28th June 2012, 11:45 PM
I'm heading to appleby in westmorland in Cumbria and Like you will be travelling about a bit! Fingers cross the weather improves or there will be multiple smelly wet dogs and owners running about!!! Ann xx