View Full Version : Thinking of getting a second Cavalier? Help!!
6th July 2012, 06:28 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm new here, I have a 5 month old tri named Lady. When I got her I was intending to probably get a second cav after a year or so, but... my breeder has a sweet 12lb girl who is almost 3 years old, but cannot be bred due to a low thyroid issue. She is therefore giving her up to a pet home, and I thought a slightly older dog might be easier than a second puppy. I've talked to my vet and the low thyroid problem is manageable with a pill a day. I've heard some bad stories about having two girls together, but I would be having both spayed (Lady next month and the new girl in a couple months as she is just coming into heat now). Do you think it's a good idea to take her, or should I wait? The reason Im considering a second is because I thought it would be nice for Lady to have a friend during the time I am at work. I live in an apartment but come home every day at lunch from work for walks, and we go for long walks at night and for hikes on weekends. Two can't be that much harder than one, especially since the seconds a bit older? Any advice would help, thanks :)
7th July 2012, 04:26 AM
Well, I'm probably no help because I'd say "go for it!"
Before you jump in, find out if she's house-broken. And then arrange a meeting (if geographically possible) between the two dogs to see how they do. Ask the breeder what her temperament is like and if she gets along well with the other females she has.
But this sounds like a really viable way to get a second Cavalier without all the puppy "stuff." You should ask your vet about the thyroid issue too, and see if he/she agrees that it would be easy to manage.
Be sure to post pictures if you bring her home!
7th July 2012, 04:43 AM
i have a low thyroid too. (haha) i had no idea what it was..and i stopped taking my medication..man alive did my friends get pissed at me and make me start tkaing it again..once on it you cant ever get off.
but in human form at least its no big deal..and i bet its no big deal in pups as well. they're affordable enough if you mix it in with the food.
i think its a good idea, when i first moved out of my apartment..we were amongst MANY MANY changes in my family..we had just lost our 13 year old cat..my parents were selling the house.. my mom switched careers from being a home daycare worker.. so i found myself a pet friendly place and brought my other 13 year old cat with me. well for a cat who came from a 3 cat, 1 dog, 4 human house to a little apartment it was pretty lonly for him. i adopted him a friend..simba.
our lives have never been the same. simba was that ...ball of fire we needed for sure. i think the idea of an older dog is great..and it would be great to keep your pup company and entertained while your away each day.
If your place lets you..and you can afford it..i say go meet the dog maybe even bring your pup to see what happens?
and yes..take a camera with you (im a HUGE fan of big life moments..if you brought her home with you (and you probably will if you meet her) first meeting pictures are priceless.
7th July 2012, 08:19 AM
I don't think two is any harder to look after than one :)
The thing to consider is doubling the bills, foods, vets, insurance etc, and as long as you can afford it I'd say go for it. I love having two, and like you say they are good company for each other. I adore it if Misty's having a good day and she start yipping at Murphy to play with her, they go tearing around the field together, it's great to watch them having fun.
7th July 2012, 02:33 PM
Can you go meet her? Or have you? If she coming from a breeder I'm sure she has lots of experience with other dogs even other puppies. If you can double the costs, and deal with this medical issue without a problem, I would go for it. Fletcher is almost 5 months old now and I won't do it personally because I have a small child too. That would be dividing my spoiling up by 3, my poor husband would fall another spot down the ladder :)
7th July 2012, 09:45 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice! I did meet the dog a few months ago, and she is such a sweet little girl! I will ask how she gets on with the other females, but as you say she is living with a breeder and is therefore around other dogs of all ages all the time. I've heard a lot of people say a dog doesn't need a friend, so it's reassuring for you to say she will enjoy the company. Lady always has so much fun when she is around other little dogs. According to both the breeder and my vet, the thyroid problem is easily managed with a pill a day, and is very inexpensive. She is also housebroken and relatively well-trained. I think you are giving me the push I needed...:)
8th July 2012, 07:57 PM
I think it is definitely worth considering. Also, because she has lived with a breeder she'll be used to puppies and puppy antics. :D.
As long as you can financially manage two, and they get on ok then I would say go for it. The only thing I would say is, make sure the older girl gets some "time out" away from the puppy as they can be irritating (according to Maddie when Rosie just won't let up. LOL) and also some 1 on1 time with you to help you bond.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.