• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tick question

meljoy

I have a quick question reguarding ticks. We have been staying with friends this weekend and after a lovely long walk yesterday I noticed a tick on Leo's neck. I managed to remove it, its was still alive and complete. I checked it as it crawled around on the tissue to make sure I hadnt left any of it in him and I hadnt.
My questions is I know they carry disease should I worry about Leo now? He seems fine with no ill effects and the area where the tick was in clean and dry.
Im hoping I got it off in time but was just wondering about risks.

Thanks
Mel

Obviously keep an eye on Leo, but my two have had ticks every year when we go on holiday (Pippin's record is 10! :yuk:) and as long as we get them off still whole they haven't suffered more than a little local swelling. Once Maddie scratched one off and the mouth parts were left in, so we had some antiseptic spray to try and prevent infection until the mouth parts worked their way out.
However, it may be worth checking with vets local to where you were staying. They are best placed to know if there are diseases being passed on by ticks.

In my area the only rick with ticks is Lyme disease which is BAD. But not too common, if you got the tick off quickly (which I think you did) then IF YOU LIVED here you would be ok. Not sure what diseases ticks carry in your area. For me its always a good idea to check for ticks daily when I groom Fletcher. I treat with Advantix II that is good for fleas and ticks but the ticks have to attach pretty good to die off. I have pulled a few off Fletcher this summer.

Oh and here we NEVER say a tick is dead unless to flush it or cut it in 2. Nasty little bugs:mad:

Melissa

Do you have access to K9 AdvantiX II flea & tick control there in the UK?
We have always used it with great success. Since we have woods in our back...we don't want to take any chances.

Do you have access to K9 AdvantiX II flea & tick control there in the UK?
We have always used it with great success. Since we have woods in our back...we don't want to take any chances.

I second this. I've used this product for 2 seasons and have never seen a tic on Charlie. The season prior, when I only used Frontline, he came home covered.

Not sure if you have Lyme in your area or not. I hope you don't. It is rampant here and my sister's dog Razz was just diagnosed yesterday. The poor thing turned from a healthy dog to a really sick lame dog literally overnight when the symptoms displayed.

In my area the only rick with ticks is Lyme disease which is BAD. But not too common, if you got the tick off quickly (which I think you did) then IF YOU LIVED here you would be ok.

Even so, I would find out the symptoms of ANY tick-borne diseases in your area and watch for them, knowing it may be a few months before symptoms present themselves. We did a beach outing two months ago. My sister found NO ticks on her dogs and both were Frontlined, but her dog still ended up with Lyme. It is possible (though unlikely) he could have been exposed another time, but the timing is right for that outing and he is a strong positive for Lyme with all the hallmark symptoms. I've also read that 1 in 5 ticks found in my area (northern NJ) are positive for Lyme. It's really rampant here.

Anyway, bottom line is ticks are nasty little critters and I hope there are no bad tickborne illnesses in your area.

Hi
As this is our fith consecutive year coming to The Lake District with
the girls and though I dont think yet there are ticks in this area we always
play safe and exactly two weeks before we come I treat them all
with Advantix , then when home return back to Frontline.

Back