• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Introduction

shar1957

Hi,

I'm new here so thought I'd just say hello. I've had my little girl Molly since March. She's about 5 years old and I found her on the internet. The vet thinks she's been used for breeding probably since her first season. She's very tiny and timid, but she's finally getting used to living in a house and being loved.

She has a few health problems, most of her teeth were rotten but that's been sorted and she's been spayed. She also has a heart condition which I believe is common in the breed.

I'd be glad of any advice on how much walking she needs, I'm currently taking her out for 20-25 mins twice a day not sure if we should do more or less than that. Also any tips on building her confidence would be welcome, she's great with me but if anyone else wants to make a fuss of her she just pulls away or cowers.

She's a great little dog though, and I love her to bits.:)

icon_welcome

There'a loads of info on this site. As for walking I find Leo will walk as often and as long as I do. We can go for a short walk (20 minutes) or a long walk, (a couple of hours).

Im sure with love and time Molly will soon grow in confidence. Look forward to hearing more about her and her progress.

Mel

Welcome! Molly is lucky to have found such a loving companion. :)

My puppy, Sonny is about 1 year old and we currently walk him about twice a day for 20-25 minutes. We used to take him for three walks a day, but that was when I was working part time so he was crated for a couple of hours during the day on certain days, so we felt he needed more exercise. Since I have been home and he is no longer crated, he seems pretty happy with his two walks.

Hello..and welcome to you * :D

I agree....so much information on the forum..and everyone is friendly to help you should you have questions.
Glad you rescued little Molly. It always saddens me that some breeders get rid of a female after she has gave them loads of puppies. Kind of like saying she is no use to me anymore. At least now she is getting the love and care from YOU that she sooooo deserves! Kudos to you ! (y)
It may take awhile for her to warm up to you or people in general since so many years she was used strictly for breeding. I doubt she had much socialization. Just take it slow...let her build her confidence in her own time. Try not to let people or other animals approach her too quickly. When on walks...I would go to places where it is not as congested at first. Easing her into a routine.
Share some pictures when you can ! :snap:

icon_welcome I also love CT. Great health info. there is someone on her who has experienced anything you have a question about and we are a bit silly and all CRAZY about our dogs. If you want more info on the heart issue MVD just jump on the health forum and ask no question is too small or big. As far a walking goes I think it depends on your dog. My Fletcher is 5 months old, I walk him 3 times a day, about 15 mins. in the morning about 15 mins in the afternoon and then a good long hour walk in the evenings. He seems find with that as long as its not extremely hot outside. With MVD effecting all cavalier's in their life times its important to feed well, and exercise well too. I would think that is a question for your vet because of her heart condition. With socialization I would allow her to set the pace....she been thur a lot I'm guessing. But don't allow her to stop meeting new people tho just have them come visit and let her decide when she is ready to meet them. I too would try to walk on less traveled paths, walks should be fun not stressful. Keep working with her sounds like you are on the right track.

Melissa

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I've found the comments really helpful. She is gaining in confidence, my vet suggests a 20 min walk twice a day, so that's what I've been doing. She does meet new people, once a week we go on the bus and she seems fine with that. She comes with me to visit my Dad and his 2 Cavaliers, and she's quite comfortable with them. I'll keep you updated on her progress and put some pictures on, thanks again for the replies.

Back