• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shampoo or something else????

MomObvious

I have long blonde hair and the summer sun and water is pretty harsh on my hair so for the last few years I have been making and using my own homemade conditioning shampoo. Yes, I make it from scratch!!!! Anyway, I decided to wash Fletcher in it last week before he was neutered. Well, Fletcher is so soft and smooth even today after 5 days. His fur is like silk and I don't see any ill effects on his skin. I also think he is shedding a less! I admit its a little weighted down. I'm wondering if this is only from the shampoo or possibly something else, he was neutered on Thursday and was on pain meds for a day or two... I did add a little wet food to his diet. He's wasn't eating too well so I picked up a can of the new simple recipe Wellness canned food, just adding about 1/3 a little can only in his evening kibble. I guess I can wait and wash him in my shampoo a second time too. But if this is only from my shampoo, I think I might have to play with the recipe a bit and see if I can come up with.

Anyhow, do you think the meds from neutering, neutering or the change in his food is the cause????

Thanks

If he's only just been neutered, I think it's too soon the have an effect on his coat..

Ive heard that human shampoo is the wrong ph for dogs skin and can lead to problems. You might want to figure out the the ph of your shampoo and see if it's good for him long term.

If he's only just been neutered, I think it's too soon the have an effect on his coat..

Ive heard that human shampoo is the wrong ph for dogs skin and can lead to problems. You might want to figure out the the ph of your shampoo and see if it's good for him long term.

Thanks, good advice. Not sure how to check the ph but its something to think about.

A change in food would take weeks or months to make a difference.

It could just be from laying on a towel or blanket while recovering from surgery (the meds wouldn't change his coat).

But it's probably the shampoo.

Thanks, good advice. Not sure how to check the ph but its something to think about.

Any shampoo will be basic (to dissolve oils). You can get ph strips online (amazon). Make sure the strips you buy are capable of measuring from ph 7 through 14, there are different kinds for different purposes.

Back