View Full Version : Pippa nurofen

brid kenny
11th August 2012, 11:36 PM
I let a nurofen fall on the ground and I think pippa ate it. 200 mg nurofen express. Should I be worried?

Sydneys Mom
11th August 2012, 11:56 PM
Not sure what the medication is, but I would call your vet and ask advice. You may just have to watch for side effects. Better safe than sorry. Let us know how Pippa is.

12th August 2012, 12:59 AM
YES!!!!! Nurofen is Ibuprofen, and it is poisonous to dogs. 200 mg does not sound like a lot but cavalier's are little. Call your vet as soon as possible! I do not mean to panic you but just call your vet or ER vet nearest you.

Please let us know what happens I hope Pippa is alright.

brid kenny
12th August 2012, 01:32 AM
We are over an hour into it and she is doing fine. Keeping a close eye on her.

12th August 2012, 01:45 AM
Hi Brid,
You really do need to contact your vet about this.Ibuprofen is very toxic to dogs and doses of 200 mg for a dog under 10 kg can cause severe stomach problems,bleeding,ulceration or even kidney problems.If you can get her to a vet,they can administer charcoal or try to get her to vomit it up..effects of the ibuprofen may not be immediate.If she were mine I would call a vet straight away,if only for advice and peace of mind...

12th August 2012, 09:02 PM
How is Pippa doing Brid, did you manage to get her to the vets?

Yes anything like this at the very least needs a phone call to check with the vet - and Sins is right about the treatment which can be life saving.

brid kenny
12th August 2012, 09:19 PM
She is fine at the minute. Will ring vet in the morning. All closed over weekend. Typical that it happens on a Saturday night!

12th August 2012, 09:22 PM
This question is a little off topic not really tho. When I owned a childcare center we were required to keep activated charcoal and a dosing chart guidelines. I still have it its in my locked med cabinet, wonder if that is the same stuff that vets use. Maybe its not such a bad idea to keep that around. It does not expire for a year or so..... If I ever have to call the Pet Poison number I might want to remember that. I do live like less than 3 mins drive to an excellent 24/7 ER vet clinic (the only one within a 50 miles)