PDA

View Full Version : puppy sprained leg?



markyyyyyy
19th August 2012, 02:06 PM
Hi all,

last night my puppy fell out of my arms from 4 foot high.

He has woken up and is limping. He can put a bit of weight on his injured leg so i assume it isn't broken

He is 9 weeks old. Do you think it is worth getting it checked at the vets or will it get a lot better over the next couple of days or so?

He isn't making any noises so I don't think he is in pain

Thanks for your help

Mark

Soushiruiuma
19th August 2012, 02:35 PM
I would definitely take him to the vet. They'll be able to give him NSAIDs, and can let you know if it's broken or sprained. Your puppy is probably in a lot of pain right now, but is afraid to show it.

meljoy
19th August 2012, 04:24 PM
If it were me I'd get him checked out. Limping means he is in discomfort with it. For peace of mind get someone to check him over.
He may just need painkillers for a few days....better to be safe than sorry.

My Henry Boy
19th August 2012, 08:09 PM
I would take him in if he were mine. Better to be safe. If he's in discomfort they can give some pain meds.

Emkaybee
19th August 2012, 08:23 PM
Definitely a vet visit. Limping means pain. Hope he's ok--come back and let us know how he's doing.

MomObvious
19th August 2012, 08:25 PM
I agree I would also be calling my vet to come in. Everybody feels awful the first time we make an "unexpected" trip to the vet, but I'm sure he will be fine. I hope you are not blaming yourself accidents happen. I throw a sofa pillow at my daughter one time (we were playing) and she ended up with 3 stitches in her forehead!!!!!!! It happens. Please let us know how he is.

markyyyyyy
20th August 2012, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

thanks so much for your help and support

I have been in bits, have only had him a week and for this to happen already is horrible.

There is no major improvement since yesterday.

I let him out of his crate this morning and he was running around playing, however i have put him in his crate as his leg needs rest.

How long should i wait until xray? We have an appointment at the vets on Friday for this 10 week jab. Should i wait until then?

Thanks

Mark

Soushiruiuma
20th August 2012, 02:16 PM
Call your vet. See what they say. Personally, I wouldn't wait till Friday. I'd be there this morning. They can have a look at him, they may just give him some anti-inflammatories, and/or painkillers. Then they can reassess on Friday and decide if an X-ray is needed.

Puppies get dropped pretty frequently, and broken legs are common with this sort of accident. If he needs treatment for his fall, why wait?

markyyyyyy
20th August 2012, 02:28 PM
Call your vet. See what they say. Personally, I wouldn't wait till Friday. I'd be there this morning. They can have a look at him, they may just give him some anti-inflammatories, and/or painkillers. Then they can reassess on Friday and decide if an X-ray is needed.

Puppies get dropped pretty frequently, and broken legs are common with this sort of accident. If he needs treatment for his fall, why wait?

Forgot to mention the important part. I took him to the vets yesterday afternoon and the vet said there is no obvious fracture and that it is tender.
She gave him so painkillers

I think i will wait another day the reassess.
Just hope he get better soon as he is dying to run around the garden and play

Thanks

Mark

My Henry Boy
20th August 2012, 03:01 PM
I would call back and ask for an anti inflammatory. He's obviously in discomfort. Why make him suffer. If they refuse, it may be time to look for a new vet.

MomObvious
20th August 2012, 03:17 PM
Alright so you did make your first "unexpected" vet visit. If the vet seems to think its alright and gave him pain meds AND he is no longer limping or acting normal. I would think rest, careful watching and waiting is fine. Its hard to keep a silly little puppy resting tho...I would try your best maybe its a good time to run to the pet store for an antler, small bully stick o try out a new kong recipe.

Soushiruiuma
20th August 2012, 05:22 PM
Are you in US? A huge portion of US vets don't believe in controlling pain in animals (including no after surgery pain killers). This is the same as civil war era battlefield surgery techniques, you wouldn't choose that care for yourself. I would consider a different vet.

If you go to IVAPM.com you can search for a vet in your area. Otherwise you can ask vets as you try them out.

DZee
20th August 2012, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

thanks so much for your help and support

I have been in bits, have only had him a week and for this to happen already is horrible.

There is no major improvement since yesterday.

I let him out of his crate this morning and he was running around playing, however i have put him in his crate as his leg needs rest.

How long should i wait until xray? We have an appointment at the vets on Friday for this 10 week jab. Should i wait until then?

Thanks

Mark

I would try another Vet. We can usually see our Vet the very day we call if it is something that needs attention.
Without this Vet seeing an X-ray..he/she is only assuming that this pup hasn't broken it's leg.
If he is running around playing..that's a good sign...but he could still have a small fracture.
Either way...(just my opinion)...he needs checked out sooner than Friday.
It's good you are limiting his play time..as you said..his leg probably needs some rest to heal.