• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Episodic Falling

Paws

Hi

We have a new ruby puppy, George, who at 14 weeks started having some form of fit which has subsequently been diagnosed as Episodic Falling.

George is quite different in character from other Cavaliers we have and I am interested to hear from other owners who have affected dogs to compare notes on character and behaviour to get a better understanding of George's condition and early warning signs, if any, of the onset of an episode. Any advice on living with EFS would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your little cavalier George. It is so hard when they have long term health issues. I have a 6 year old cavalier called Maisy, she doesnt have EFS, but she does have CM, MVD, PSOM and multiple allergies so I understand how upsetting it can be when your pet is unwell. There are a few people on the companion cavalier club facebook page that I am on, that have cavaliers with EFS, so I am sure you will get some replies from people on here too. Kindest regards, Karen

Hi there, can you describe the fit and how your puppy was diagnosed?

I have had two rubies with EF, the first one was 16 weeks old but back then (early 90's) nobody knew what it was. My second boy was a rehome so I dont know what age he started but his first EF with me he was 18months old. In both cases exercise, heat and stress were the causes. Once witnessed it is easy to see an attack coming on but you can't prevent it once started. I just keep the dog calm and quiet and cool until it is over but I work even harder now I know the triggers to prevent the episodes happening.

Also some puppies that have EFS can kind of grow out of it as they get older. As with so many of these conditions, there's a continuum. Some EFS dogs are on meds and others aren't. The condition is more common in rubies, apparently.

Have you seen this excellent site? http://www.episodicfalling.com/ It provides a host of information and personal stories.

Also some puppies that have EFS can kind of grow out of it as they get older.

Indeed, the first boy I mentioned only ever had four attacks, but they were classic EF. His last one was when he was six years old and he lived until he was 14yrs old.

Back