• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kongs

Sydneys Mom

What do you put in them. I bought a Kong stick, BellaMia ate the small piece sticking out then couldn't get the rest out. Actually, I had a hard time getting it out. Peanut butter and the squirt stuff they sell for it seems to messy and not very nutritious, and her dry food is tiny and just falls out. She wasn't very impressed with it.

Trying not to give high calorie treats. Looking for suggestions.

Here are thoughts:
Banana mushed up with peanut butter--can be frozen or served room temperature
dry kibble plugged with peanut butter
wet dog food mixed with kibble--also can be frozen (frozen takes them longer to finish)

I've done all the above with great success. I've also heard that people take a piece of day old bread, fold it, and put that in.

All three of my dogs love Kongs and get one at bedtime each day. I reserve part of their daily food to put into them so they're not getting extra calories. I don't use the commercial Kong fillings

I bought a kong when Bentley was very young. It's about 3" long, cylinder-shaped, with grooves all the way around and a pencil-size hole down the middle lengthwise. There were no instructions on how to put treats in it; in the past I have put peanut butter in it but, as someone else said, that can get messy. He has a certain place in the livingroom (carpeted, of course) where he takes "special" things, such as the bigger bone-shaped treat I give him once a day, or any contraband he finds. I don't really want peanut butter smeared on the carpet. I'm just not terribly impressed with the kong I bought; maybe I should shop for a better one.

Skippy loves dried strips of sweet potato. Also, they don't tend to crumble or make a mess like most treats.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be trying out some of these and see what works best. She's in that "chewing" stage and want to give her a better variety than my furniture and carpets!

Back