• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rupert’s Fund 3rd Annual Report 2012

Nicki

Report from Penny Knowler:

This year the gross total for the 3 years is a staggering £23,108.29 ($37,340.69). The total number of cavaliers scanned over the same period is 64. Well done everyone!! It is really special to be involved in this initiative despite the hard work. There is warmth that is generated by the donations to help the dogs. On the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] January 2013, I received £15 through PAYPAL from Suzanne Brown who has been giving similar regular amounts over the years “Every time a member of the For the Love of Cavaliers email list announces the birthday or, sadly, the death of a Cavalier, I make a scratch on a Post-It I keep out on my desk. I make a $1 donation for a birthday (unless it's a special friend's Cavalier or one of my own) and $2 for a death. I round it up after converting to British Pounds and make a donation about once every 3 months. “ The fund also receives regular donations from people who wish to remember their beloved dogs like “Ella” or “Cinders”. The ‘anonymous’ donations range from £10 to £100 and it is paramount to us that the money must be used for greatest effect for the breed. For this reason the information gained from Rupert’s Fund is shared with a variety of researchers – not just the genome research.

Overall, in the total of 64 dogs, 43 (67%) were ‘SM clear’ with > 2mm i.e. graded 0-1a in the BVA/KC scheme for SM. All of the dogs had CM. There were 27 males of which 58% were ‘SM clear’. These statistics should not be used out of context – this sample is very biased because the research is looking for SM clear dogs for controls.

Now that the BVA/KC cmsm screening scheme has been launched the scans have been submitted through this scheme to maximize benefit to the breed concerned as the results from this scheme not only have an “official stamp” but also will ultimately feed into a “mate select scheme”. Most centers offering a “low cost screening” service do this in conjunction with the BVA scheme so although theoretically this incurs an additional £100 cost per dog the cost of the scan is approximately £250 giving a total cost of £350 per dog.

Five different countries have been involved but the most cost effective for Rupert’s fund is the UK because of the levy for transferring funds. It has been disappointing that there has been only 9 dogs scanned in the last year and I fear that it is because there are few dogs clear of SM – certainly many breeders are very anxious to locate the elusive 0a sire.

A huge :thnku::thnku::thnku: to all our supporters - don't forget to keep visiting http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/index.php as a percentage of the sales from there support Rupert's Fund. There are lots of other ways you can help, read the stickies at the top of this forum.

Back