PDA

View Full Version : Spaying



Sydneys Mom
4th February 2013, 05:40 PM
I plan on having BellaMia spayed BEFORE her 1st heat. I agree with all that has been written here about the health benefits (my vet agrees too!). Anyway, my question is, I have an appointment for the end of this month when BellaMia will be 6 months old. Is there any health benefit in waiting longer, 7 or 8 months. I know there is a risk of going into heat the longer I wait, and I do want to avoid that, but just wondering is 6 months is too soon.

Karlin
4th February 2013, 06:26 PM
If you are comfortable with the arguments for spaying before first heat which have all been discussed here many times as you know :) , then you will want to spay at around 6 months. If you wait much longer, you are more likely to encounter her first heat. If that happens, you will want to wait til about 3 months after that first heat ends, to spay mid-cycle.

I think anything between first heat and second heat is a good choice -- I would personally feel comfortable with either, myself -- and when to do it depends on what feels best for a person, given the arguments and counter-arguments. :thmbsup:

Sydneys Mom
4th February 2013, 06:34 PM
I think anything between first heat and second heat is a good choice -- I would personally feel comfortable with either, myself -- and when to do it depends on what feels best for a person, given the arguments and counter-arguments. :thmbsup:

Am I misunderstanding? Do you feel the better choice is after first heat, but before the second?

Karlin
4th February 2013, 06:42 PM
Sorry -- that was indeed not phrased very clearly by me :sl*p:. I should have said anything just before the first heat to before the second. :)

Sydneys Mom
4th February 2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I feel so much more comfortable when all the "smart folks" on CT and my vet agree! cl*p