PDA

View Full Version : Coco in Hospital

Tania
6th April 2013, 11:02 PM
Coco has been in heart failure since last October and came to me with heart disease last January. Fortunately she has a very attentive Cardiologist who has prescribed and tweeked all of her drugs so she has maintained a good quality of life.

This morning Coco was coughing a bit, this we due to her heart irritating her trachea as they day wore on her breathing became more laboured and eventually I took her into the Clinic, fortunately her Cardiologist was good enough to come out to her even though he is not on duty.

Coco has a bit of fluid on her right lung, because she has built up a resistance to furosemide, he is trying something different. I can't be, sure but I think he said it was Torasemide and also some Cardalis which is a combination of Spiroloctane and Fortekor, the Cardalis will be topping up what she has already had today.

Even though Coco has not had belly fluid, she is on a low dose of moduret, we had to play around with this a bit because too much made her quite unwell.

Coco is now in an Oxygen tent, he has given her something to stop the irritation of the trachea which will also act a very light sedative.

The main problem with Coco seems to be the mitral valve deteriorating and her heart being so large, so we really are walking a fine line.

At the moment she is comfortable and will know more in the morning.

MomObvious
7th April 2013, 12:34 AM
Sorry to hear. I hope she can rally......she's comfortable right now so :xfngr:

Love my Cavaliers
7th April 2013, 12:43 AM
I'm so sorry. I wish I could take your worry away. I'll be hoping for the best overnight.

pippa
7th April 2013, 12:49 AM
My thoughts are with you and Coco x

Sydneys Mom
7th April 2013, 01:25 AM
Sorry to read this. The hospital is the best place for Coco right now. Hopefully they can get the right mixture of medications and she can come home tomorrow. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

BrooklynMom
7th April 2013, 11:39 AM
So sorry. Thinking of you and Coco.

meljoy
7th April 2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry to read this Tania, Im hoping and praying all goes well for you.

Mel XX

ByFloSin
7th April 2013, 12:39 PM
I have been thinking about Coco all morning Tania. I am sure you will let us know when there is any news.:D

cavie3
7th April 2013, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear about Coco Tania and I do hope she will be well soon.

Tania
7th April 2013, 07:17 PM
I picked Coco up earlier, we have started her on the new diuretic. She is very quiet and was refusing food until around 3pm which meant I was not able to give her the pottasium she needs. Coco loves the sun, I have wrapped her into a lovely soft baby blanket and taken her outside, she closed her eyes and pointed her nose to the sun and gave a little smile.

I will be in a better position tomorrow to know how she is going to be.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Sydneys Mom
7th April 2013, 07:47 PM
So glad she's home with you. The image of you holding her wrapped in a blanket in the sun warms my heart. :hug:

Kate H
7th April 2013, 09:46 PM
Just like my Meg - Cavaliers in CHF have a patience, courage and appreciation of small things that breaks your heart.

:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS Margaret said she had passed on my request to reproduce the flier for the Collection Scheme - please don't even think about it, I've adapted the pdf off the website, so it's dealt with.

Karlin
7th April 2013, 10:18 PM
Wishing all the best for her and for you. So heartbreaking. She is a special little one.

lindylou
7th April 2013, 10:56 PM
hi tania
thinking of you and cooco i know what you are going through because i went through the same with my rowley at the bridge
my heart goes out to you

karen baker
7th April 2013, 11:32 PM
Hi Tania, been away for a couple of days, and logged into to CT, so upset to hear about coco, glad you are together, and supporting each other, god bless you. Karen Ruby and Sadie xxx

daffymum
7th April 2013, 11:33 PM
Dear Tania
So sorry to hear about Coco, so glad she is at home with you .

jasperpaw
8th April 2013, 03:26 PM
So sorry to read about Coco, hope that the new diuretic will help her feel more comfortable and she will be feeling a lot better in a few days, good that she is now home with you.

Charlifarley
9th April 2013, 07:02 PM
Hi Tania, I've been thinking about Coco, how is she today?

Tania
11th April 2013, 10:48 PM
I took Coco to her Cardiologist yesterday. We have been so lucky, he is available on the phone day or night, he has called twice daily to check her progress, depending on how she is her drugs have been tweaked. Coco is on the new diuretic, even though this has helped it has also caused complications.

I have made an appointment for early next week, I have decided it is best to let Coco have her wings. I can't bear the thought of her going through another crisis as there is nothing left for us to try.

Coco adores the sunshine, I am hoping the next few days will be good for her.

Charlifarley
11th April 2013, 11:31 PM
In so sorry Tania you must be broken hearted. I know Coco wasn't with you for long - she was a very lucky dog when she found her way to your home -you've given her a great chance and at least she got the best love, treatment and resources that she could. Enjoy the weekend and hopefully it will be spent in warm sunshine. Take care xx

Sydneys Mom
11th April 2013, 11:42 PM
Tania, I'm so sorry you have had to make this decision. It's heartbreaking. I pray that you and Coco get to enjoy some time together and that the sun shines brightly.

Spangly
12th April 2013, 12:05 AM
Dear Tania
I am so sorry that you have had to make that hardest of decisions. My heart really does go out to you. You and Coco might not have had the longest time together but the time you had must have been very special.
Coco was a very loved and special girl, who found her very own special mum.
May the sun shine very brightly for you all to enjoy together.
With love from Christine and Spangle xx

meljoy
12th April 2013, 12:43 AM
Tania,
Im so sorry to read your last post. i pray the sun will shine this weekend and Coco will be able to enjoy it.
God Bless, thinking of you at this differcult time.

Mel XXX

anniemac
12th April 2013, 01:58 AM
Tania,

I am so so sorry to hear about coco. As people say you are doing the most unselfish thing by letting her go when it's time, it still is hard. It is bittersweet to say I am glad you will have time this weekend to enjoy each other but I am.

Wishing you well and strength during this time.

Kate H
12th April 2013, 06:21 PM
Thinking of you all :hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

cavie3
12th April 2013, 06:22 PM
Just read your last post Tania and I am so sorry to hear that you have had to make this painful decision for all the right reasons for Coco, I hope the sun shines brightly over the weekend and I will be thinking of you all.

pippa
12th April 2013, 09:10 PM
So sorry Tania....

HollyDolly
12th April 2013, 11:15 PM
Thinking of you Tania and Coco. Nanette xxxx

Love my Cavaliers
12th April 2013, 11:30 PM
Hugs.:hug:

team bella
13th April 2013, 03:19 PM
Oh Tania you are very brave and making the decision based on what's best for Coco. Will be thinking of you and sending love. Coco did find a lovely caring home in her final months. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Margaret C
13th April 2013, 07:15 PM
There is no way but down for Coco now. Letting her go calmly and painlessly is the last gift of love you can give your sweet little girl.

I hope she remains comfortable for the next few days while you spoil her rotten & say your goodbyes. She has been a lucky little dog to end her days with the best owners ever.

susandavis1
13th April 2013, 09:07 PM
I am so sorry Tania. Keeping you and precious Coco in our thoughts :hug:

lindylou
14th April 2013, 08:29 PM
hi tania
i have just read your last post and i am so sorry you are letting coco go to the bridge
you have being a wonderful mum to coco
sending you hugs

Nix105
14th April 2013, 11:46 PM
Tania, I hope one day, if faced with the same decision you've had to make, that I will be as brave as you're having to be right now.

Sweet dreams Coco x

Tania
15th April 2013, 09:53 PM
We had a good weekend with Coco, she seems to have bounced back! When she had her blood tests last week her potassium levels had really dropped and is now on quite a high dose which could account for her burst of energy. I am taking her to the Cardiologist before his surgery tomorrow morning to have her re-assessed. Fingers crossed, the angels might not want the competition yet.

Sydneys Mom
15th April 2013, 10:35 PM
I'm crying happy tears for you. There are so many stories of our little cavaliers bouncing back, and I am so happy that she is doing better. I will continue to send love and good thoughts.

wolf23
16th April 2013, 12:44 AM
Fingers crossed for you and little Coco.:lotsaluv:

Tania
16th April 2013, 03:16 PM
The Cardiologist has agreed Coco is too bright and it is not quite the right time. Coco sends lots of kiss's and thanks everyone for all their good wishes.

pippa
16th April 2013, 07:19 PM
So pleased for you Tania more time to share with Coco may the time she has left be long and a joy for you both x

Love my Cavaliers
16th April 2013, 08:44 PM
Cats are not the only ones with nine lives!!

team bella
17th April 2013, 12:17 AM
Fabulous news Tania :) well don coco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cavie3
17th April 2013, 02:20 PM
That's just the best news :D

meljoy
17th April 2013, 05:04 PM
Tania,
Thats lovely to hear

Mel XX

BrooklynMom
18th April 2013, 12:43 AM
The best news. What a roll of emotions!

And they say cats have none lives ;) hugs to you!!

lindylou
18th April 2013, 09:35 PM
hi tania
so happy for you to have more time to spend with coco
sending coco kisses and cuddles from louie and his mum

Autaven
23rd April 2013, 08:32 PM
Just read the thread and didn't want to leave without sending both you and Coco much love and hugs!