• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teddy and 'Campylobacter'

Lynne

Hello everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Campylobacter at all?

Weekend before last Teddy started to have runny yellow poo. We immediately put him onto white food (rice, chicken etc.,) and monitored his fluid intake etc., but the runny poo continued. At times like water, at times like diarreah, gloopy and a bit of mucus. On atleast three nights in the first five days we were up with him every two hours at night so he could go outside for either a poo, or to attempt one. By mid week we took him to the vets as he didn't seem to getting better. They gave him a thorough check over. Not sore in the belly, no temperature, no swollen tummy etc., generally a happy little boy except for the runs.

We had taken in a sample, so they sent that off for testing. The test has now come back, and he appears to have Campylobacter. They want to put him on a course of antibiotics for 10 days, although they have said that it is an antibiotic generally used in humans not dogs and we have to sign something to say that is ok.

Teddy is actually getting a little better since taking the test in, and his poo is firming up, not as yellow and can actually be picked up now rather than scraped up. In himself he appears to be completely normal, he isn't weak, or having other problems.

I, however, have had stomach cramps since about the same time as he started. At first I thought it was coincidence, but now Im wondering if it has anything to do with it? Although I certainly havn't been drinking out of the same muddy puddles as him :)

Anyway, long story, short question - any thoughts about this human antibiotic idea?

Also, just wondering when we ought to try to re-introduce his normal food back into his diet - he can't surely stay on rice, chicken, fish, cottage cheese and pasta forever?

All the best
Lynne and Teddy

Hi Lynne-

I've never heard of campylobacter. Bosco had giardia as a young pup,and it sounds similar. I remember what a mess it was, and how it took some time for him to be fully cured. Ask vet about when to return to regular food. You don't want to be second guessing yourself if you introduced it too early.

Hope Teddy is feeling better soon.

Joan

I am sure the antibiotics are safe for your dog, or the vet would not recommend it. Often this is necessary to kill of the nasty bacterias and stop the cycle.

If they tested for this, they will be suggesting an antibiotic they think most effective, so would think this is fine.

Regarding meals -- a good question for your vets -- just ring them and ask. :) I am sure they will be happy to let you know when to start to move him back to a regular diet.

And yes: you could have caught it from handling him -- you might wish to speak to your own GP. Don't take his meds though! -- and be sure with antibiotics to complete the entire course you are given for him (not to do so contributes to the dangerous situation we have now in which bacteria are getting resistent to antibiotics).

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/campylobacteriosis.htm

Hi All, well we have now finished with his anti-biotics thank heaven. His poo has now gone from yellow to a lovely dark brown but it is still quite soft (not runny though). I hoping that once the effects of the AB's have cleared, it might return to his usual consistency. Crouching over to spoon a sample into a little pot was entertaining though. His last sample has now gone off to be checked, so fingers crossed on that one. Thank you everyone for your replies.

Now that Teddy is off the antibiotics, you may want to look into giving him some yogurt or kefir. It is full of the healthy type bacteria that the antibiotics probably killed off in his intestines. Often this is helpful to firm up the poo. I only give our Sophie a plain low-fat or non-fat yogurt; nothing with sugar or flavors. (she is especially fond of the Greek type yogurts that are so popular now. )

Hi Waldor,
Thats a great idea. We had been giving him some Pro-Kolin, but thats an expensive thing and not really for every single day use, only for when he first started being poorly, so we were wondering about that (thats why we were thinking of adding more fibre to his diet too - but thats on another thread). He would love yoghurt - we always have the 0% Greek Yoghurt at home - its such a great alternative to sour cream (for us, not Teddy). How much would you suggest a day? He is now 1 year (and 1 week) old and is about 6.7kg in weight.
thanks again
Lynne x

Back