• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Boots? What brand works best?

scrile

Got a question. We have a set of boots for Abby that we use on bitter cold days like today when going out on walks. But no matter how well we fit and strap the boots to her feet, they always start to work loose and she ends up with the soles sticking out in front of her feet to the point where they will eventually fall off. Any suggestions on a good quality boot that will not do this? I have seen some dog boots at a sporting goods store meant for hunting dogs that are much taller and I believe they had some that would fit a Cavalier. Has anyone tried a taller boot?

abbywithherbootson_zps8ebb70e1.jpg

Winter in Chicago has been BRUTAL this year and needless to say -45 F wind chills as are forecasted for tomorrow are no friend to Oliver's paws...and let's not even talk about the salt.

Olie wears UltraPaws dog boots available on Amazon in a size small. As skeptical as I was, these boots have been fantastic! The pup walks kind of funny but no more yelping and crying from salt and ice between the paws and the cold seems much more tolerable to him. And believe it or not, they've never fallen off once, even with my rambunctious little snow pile diver. :)

Hope your love gets warmer tootsies soon!
Breanne

Living in Ottawa temperatures regularly went down to below -30C (~-22F) and Lady cried if she had to walk outside on her bare paws. I tried the insulated boots like in the picture but like you found that they fell off easily. I ended up trying the disposable balloon-like ones at the suggestion of a few people, and they worked well. They're not insulated but they keep the salt from getting in the toes and bare paws off the cold pavement. Lady didn't complain anymore using them. They lasted about 5-6 wears if nails are kept trimmed and filed. I had the orange ones and they were somewhat difficult to get on at first, but they don't fall off.

They're called Pawz Natural Rubber Dog Boots.

I also have used the Pawz disposable boots for my dogs (size small - red) and my daughter uses them for her cattle dog mix who refuses to walk when her feet touch one bit of the ice-melting salt. Oliver won't walk outside on pavement or snow (he just sits down) when it gets around zero degrees so I pop on the boots and then he's fine. They never fall off -sometimes a bit tricky to get on, but worth it.

Thanks for the input. I've been taking her to a park trail where no salt is used, so that helps.

I just bought my dog Charlie some Ultra Paws Traction Dog Boots. They are soft fleece with velcro. They seem to stay on very well, and they are not so stiff.

Back