• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bump/boil/abscess/cyst on tail?

dandelos

We first noticed this bump/boil/abscess/cyst on around mid-point of Skippy's tail several weeks ago. We've monitored it periodically since then, and it does not appear to have changed since then. It's not rock hard, and does give a little when you push it, almost like there is either some very soft tissue or perhaps liquid/pus in it. Also, pushing it does not appear to discomfort Skippy.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I am planning on bringing him into the vet this Friday to get his anal glands expressed, and if necessary, I can set up an appointment with the vet to check it out.

Here is a picture -- it's not the best, but the bump is near the middle of the picture, if you can see it.

OREXUef.jpg

It definitely doesn't look like an ordinary wart, especially if it feels soft. I would definitely get the vet to have a look. My Oliver has what looks like a similar but slightly larger lump at the base of his tail, which must have started as small as Skippy's but is just above his anal gland and was easy to miss; last week it perforated and got infected and was messy. It's not necessarily malignant and has healed well, but we're keeping a sharp eye on it. Better to come across as a fussy owner than miss something that needs to be watched!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I had something similar about 6 weeks ago with my younger cavalier, he had a small yellow lump appear just under his right eye, I decided to be safe and made an appointment, by the the time I had the appointment it had started to weep a little. The vet said it was nothing to worry about, he could remove it even though it was so close to the eye which was my worry, I could either make a decision then or go away and think about it. I decided to go away and think and I was so glad I did as later that same day, this thick yellow curd like liquid came out and it has now completely gone. My other older cavalier also has had a couple of cysts of his body that have gone over time.

Thanks guys. Just got back from the vet. During the initial examination she felt confident that it was more of a cyst rather than a tumor because it felt like it had liquid inside of it. She then brought Skippy into the back room to puncture the bump -- based on the discharge she confirmed that it is a cyst, and said it probably built up due to it being close to one of his oil glands. She sent us home with a tube of anti-septic to apply to the puncture 2-3 times a day for a week (we will have to keep draining the rest of the cyst ourselves periodically).

That is good, when my older cavalier had one we went to the vet and she punctured it, but did say it may come back but it never did. I felt sure recently the experience with my younger dog with the bump was a bit strange when the vet said it had to be removed:confused: I am so glad I decided to wait.

Back