• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nine Cavaliers Die When Left in Hot Car in South Carolina

Words don't fail me but I cant print what I think of this man....:mad:

Its not exactly rocket science is it?

Its good to keep reminding people though I guess

I heard this on my way to work this morning. This is so wrong on so many levels. Justice would be to leave him in a hot car with no windows open for three hours! Grrrrrrrrr......

The most frightening aspect to me is that he is a doctor, and really should know better...

I was horrified to read this: the 64-year-old man brought six dogs that he thought were passed out to Mount Pleasant Emergency Vet to be examined, but the dogs had been dead for some time, as rigor mortis had already set in on five of them. - Did he really not know they were dead? He should be struck off and never allowed to have dogs again.

Those poor dogs :(

What a tragedy. This man needs to be evaluated. He should know better, but doctors are human and he probably has mental health, dementia, or addiction issues that cloud his brain. (It is frightening that so many doctors, surgeon and support staff are drug addicted <<not in recovery>> and operating on us.)

I struggle enough when I hear that people leave their own children in hot cars here, to die, and say they forgot their child was in the car?

I also could not understand why a doctor could not tell a dead dog from an unconscious dog. I’ve been in the presence of deceased humans and dogs, and although I’m not a medical doctor, I did not have any difficulty in determining the status. Ironically, had he not taken the bodies to the vet practice, he would not have been arrested because no one in authority would have known.

I did some googling and easily discovered that these Cavaliers were show dogs, some quite successful in the ring, and found some of the registered names.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140813/PC16/140819755

From the article:

Each felony count is punishable by up to five years in prison and carries a minimum sentence of 180 days.

....left and soon showed up at Veterinary Specialty Care, an emergency veterinarian's office not far from the hospital, according to an incident report.

He opened the back of his Ford and showed the staffers six of the dogs still in their carriers, the employees later told the police. He thought they had passed out, according to the affidavits.

But the workers examined the dogs and told him that they were dead. Rigor mortis had already set in for five of them. The veterinarian staffers directed him to a local crematory, then called the police after he left.

The affidavits identified the nine as: Money, a 5-month-old Blenheim; Lucinda, an 11-month-old black and tan; Drayton, a 2-year-old Blenheim; Madeline, a 4-year-old ruby; Shelby, a 4-year-old ruby; Katie, a 5-year-old ruby; Butler, an 8- or 9-year-old tricolor; Freddie, an 8- or 9-year-old Blenheim; and Willis, the 8- or 9-year-old Blenheim.

They all had experienced "excessive and unnecessary pain and suffering" before they died, which accounted for the felony charges, the police said.

"Of course, it was shocking," said Mitch McCullers, vet at James Island Veterinary Hospital. "We were all very upset."

Though the owner had cooperated with the investigation, Mount Pleasant Detective Logan Fey said during the bond hearing that the town "takes cases of abuse and neglect very seriously."

"If needed," Fey said, "we will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

I personally think he knew they were dead. As Pat said, if he didn't take them to the vet hospital then he wouldn't have been reported. I see comments about how much they loved their cavaliers and I'm not doubting that but words fail me. I feel bad if I run into the gas station or leave my car on if Elton is in the car. You don't run into work for 2-3 minutes. Pat, I too did some digging and it's very close to home. This person was not Ella's breeder but where he is from is close to where I got her. I just have a feeling that some of these lost ones might be related or play with her siblings, etc. makes me very sad.

I agree with you, Anniemac. He knew they were dead. What kind of doctor can't distinguish dead from alive, especially after rigor mortis has set in?

Back