• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Periods of obsessions with chews...

Julia Hyun

Hi, I think this is my first post on this forum! The website has been very useful for my little puppy (just turned a year old!) Merry. :D Ever since he went through is puppy teething stage he's been quite picky about what he chews. It's not that he doesn't like the chews (split antlers, bully sticks, gullet chews, those Himalayan dog chews) but he only chooses the ones that he wants for a certain period of time, during that time it's almost like he is obsessed with the chew. He just sits there and chew, chew, chew! After he's over the chew he has a period of time in which he doesn't like any of his chews, not even ones that he was previously obsessed with. I was curious to if your dogs do this as well and if it's normal or is this just my dog? :confused:

Mine do this. As with toys, sometimes it is a good idea to remove a toy or chew rather than leave it laying around, which can maintain interest over time. Many find that dogs tend to have an initial interest in most toys, then just ignore them, too! May well be too that after a long chew, his jaw muscles ache a bit and he loses interest. Puppies tend to need to chew a lot to build those jaw muscles and then become less interested in chewing things generally (thankfully!), as the muscles and bones mature.

Mine do this. As with toys, sometimes it is a good idea to remove a toy or chew rather than leave it laying around, which can maintain interest over time. Many find that dogs tend to have an initial interest in most toys, then just ignore them, too! May well be too that after a long chew, his jaw muscles ache a bit and he loses interest. Puppies tend to need to chew a lot to build those jaw muscles and then become less interested in chewing things generally (thankfully!), as the muscles and bones mature.

Thank you for the reply! I usually switch out his toys every week or so as he loves the "new" toys but this doesn't seem to work with chews like bully sticks or antlers. It would make sense that as dogs age they loose interest in chewing. The weird thing was he goes through bully sticks like crazy and then doesnt even sniff them for a weeks! He's a silly dog

Back