• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How often should you wash your dog??

Aly

Hi I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on bathing your cavalier, my puppy gets muddy whenever he goes out for a walk in the fields, I currently bath him no more than once a fortnight with sensitive shampoo but could do with bathing him more often as he gets dirty easily and has a terrible aim (and often gets a dirty tummy).

Will bathing him more often be detrimental to his skin/coat?

Cooper and Nina each get a bath every other week. If they get muddy in the rain or snow, I have to rinse their feet and tummies after a walk.

Maya gets a bath once a week if my schedule allows and every 10 days or so if I am really busy. She sleeps in my room so I am more sensitive to her odor.

Over-bathing your dog is bad for their skins, as they get very dry, and shampoo removes the natural oil from the coat. I bath my two adults about twice a year, slightly more often when I was showing Oliver regularly in his younger days. If they get muddy, I rough towel them dry and then brush out the mud when it has dried. If they get smelly, you can use a dry shampoo or an odour remover. Plain water from the shower or in the sink won't do any harm, if you have the time to be constantly drying dogs, and is usually enough to wash off mud. But please don't grab the shampoo bottle too often :)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I bathe Fletcher completely about every 6 or 8 weeks. I'm one of those OCD cavalier owners who brushes my dog daily- it's easier to manage for me. For in between spot cleaning I use a damp clothe and try not to use shampoo. With Fletcher is not mud it's Mr. Monster dropping stuff on him. Yesterday alone he dropped a milkshake on his back and somehow managed to drop glue on Fletcher's head. This is what happens when your dog is always following your busy 6 yr old around.

Figured a late reply here is better than not replying. I washed Luke a few weeks ago, because he had gotten into packets of hot cocoa, and had the powder stuck all in his hair (yes, my nearly 6 year old did this right after coming home from some intense exercise, most of it stuck in the carpet and he didn't really eat much thankfully). Prior to that, I think he might have been last washed at the end of August. He was getting a pretty big title in Flyball, and I knew I'd be wanting photos and video and I didn't want him ratty looking. Maybe he has been washed between those two, but I don't remember doing it. I do brush him most days, and I've rinsed off his feet in the sink or wiped him with a damp cloth when needed.

Back