PDA

View Full Version : Training Issue with Milo

Sydneys Mom
14th November 2014, 04:16 AM
I need advice on how to stop a behavior with Milo.

BellaMia's favorite game is chasing a Frisbee. Milo isn't much interested in fetching, but loves chasing Bella while she's fetching. The problem is, while he's chasing her, he tries to bite at her ears or tail. He's actually taken out a mouthful of hair. Milo is 10 months old, so this is beyond the young puppy nipping. The only time he does this is during play with the Frisbee. It is all in play, but I'm afraid he may hurt her accidentally.

When I see him getting ready to bite, I say NO, then verbally praise when he stops. Its hard to give a treat when he stops as we are all running and playing.

So my question is, is there a better way to get him to stop?

waldor
14th November 2014, 02:14 PM
What is Bella's response to Milo's behavior? Seems like she would put that rowdy kid in his place when she has had enough.

Sydneys Mom
14th November 2014, 03:32 PM
She pretty much ignores it. Once in a while she will just stop playing and sit down. Its just strange because it just happens during this game with the frisbee....no other toy. Other times they run and play together in normal doggie way, you know, barking, growling running and jumping at each other.

I wish she would correct him.

Karlin
14th November 2014, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about it -- this is a pretty common game amongst dogs, and she may well be really enjoying the extra excitement of the chase. Trainers generally say that if the dog that is the target of a particular activity doesn't seem bothered, then it isn't an issue. Our Great Pyrenees siblings chase each other constantly outside, and grab mouthfuls of hair and pull each others' tails. It's their favourite game! The only thing that is better is when our GSD chases the two of them and grabs at them. :lol: Leo used to chase Jaspar like this and it was all part of the game -- Jaspar chased balls and sticks, Leo chased Jaspar. :) Any hair that comes out is likely to just be loose hair. Dogs can play pretty rough (at least, so it seems to us!) in play.

It sounds like this is the frisbee game, with its own special rules between them. :)

Sydneys Mom
14th November 2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I have a lot to learn about the dynamics between 2 dogs. It is fun to watch though!

Karlin
15th November 2014, 02:00 PM
It's an endless path of learning! :lol: I used to get worried about exactly this too, as well as humping behaviour. But so many good trainers say the key thing is to watch how the target dog reacts if there's no intervention. If they don't seem bothered it is because they are part of the play. Leo would grab at Jaspar's ears too and was never interested in the item being chased!

joandesan
15th November 2014, 10:45 PM
It's an endless path of learning! :lol: I used to get worried about exactly this too, as well as humping behaviour. But so many good trainers say the key thing is to watch how the target dog reacts if there's no intervention. If they don't seem bothered it is because they are part of the play. Leo would grab at Jaspar's ears too and was never interested in the item being chased!

I have 3 dogs. Bosco is the largest at about 22 lbs, with Sadie the smallest at 6 lbs. When they play, I was worried about Sadie getting hurt. However, they play on her terms. She will only be the chaser, not the chasee. And when they get too rough, she will let out a sharp bark, which means, "play is over". Not sure how they "understand the rules" but it seems to work for all 3.

Boop (about 12 lbs) and Bosco will wrestle, and Sadie will watch. She doesn't jump in that game at all.