• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

prednisolone side effects

MMM

Millie has cm/sm and has become very weak in her back legs. A week ago she was prescribed prednisolone 5mg daily. I weighed her this afternoon and she has lost 0.75lbs/340g on exactly the same amount of food she normally eats. Anyone else had this, I'll speak to the vet of course but I'm worried.

Why is Millie being given the prednisolone? These symptoms very well could be side effects of this drug.

She was diagnosed with cm/sm and ivdd in July. She's taking 100mg gabapentin and 50mg zitac three times a day. Her back legs have become very weak so the neurologist prescribed the prednisilone.

Last edited:
I replied elsewhere on your question too. I know Dr Clare Rusbridge prescribes prednisalone sometimes to try and see if that will help hind leg weakness.

Here's hoping you get some idea of what is going on with Millie's weight. Just in case it helps others, I'll note here too that losing weight can actually be a side effect of steroids (happened to me on low dose!) even though the more usual side effect is wight gain. I never felt any hungrier either... that said, only a week on them and around a pound of weight loss seems too much too fast for this to be the reason, to me. I know you are working through this with your vet and hope you can update when you know more.

Meanwhile maybe others have a view on the weight loss and prednisalone?

Back