• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First time dog owner

Chema

Hi,

I recently purchased a cavalier as the first dog I've ever owned. She's adorable and I completely love her! Unfortunately, she has been diagnosed with chiari, as well as several other significant conditions. We took her for an MRI after noticing strange behavior (scratching, shoving her head into the sofa, running her ears along the side of the sofa, biting her back leg). Recently, she started hopping a bit as she walks. She's only a puppy- 7 months now!

This board has been very helpful to me in learning about SM/chiari. I'm glad it exists!!

For now, she is on omeprazole and we just started gabapentin. I'm hoping it will help.

icon_welcome

Hi.
Sorry to hear your pup is going through this so young. Too many on this board have been through this but the good thing is there is tons of advice and support here.

Yikes, that's a rough situation. I wish you and your pup well.

I had to put my beautiful fav girl down at just 2 years old due to SM (and it's taken me about 2 years to come to terms with it too). There is a lot of information on here about treatments, and help for SM. Best of luck, some dogs can do well long-term with meds.

Back