• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice from those who have experience fostering

Emcannon

Hello! I am new to fostering- my first doggie went with his forever family on Friday and I'm having a hard time. Like I cried every day before he left and was a total mess when he left on Friday. I tend to be the type of person who gets attached easily and I am now questioning if foster just might not be for me. I also don't think my senior girl liked having someone competing for my attention.

To make matters more complicated, the adoptive mom just reached out and said her husband is allergic and they will likely need to return him to the rescue organization. My heart breaks for this sweet boy. I probably humanize dogs too much and project how I would feel onto them but I just imagine him being so confused and feeling unwanted. I am sure I would be able to get him back and on one hand I would LOVE that and think that might be better for him instead of adjusting to a new foster home, but selfishly I don't know if I can go through the good-bye again.

Any thoughts, tips, advice on fostering in general and on this specific situation would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello! I am new to fostering- my first doggie went with his forever family on Friday and I'm having a hard time. Like I cried every day before he left and was a total mess when he left on Friday. I tend to be the type of person who gets attached easily and I am now questioning if foster just might not be for me. I also don't think my senior girl liked having someone competing for my attention.

To make matters more complicated, the adoptive mom just reached out and said her husband is allergic and they will likely need to return him to the rescue organization. My heart breaks for this sweet boy. I probably humanize dogs too much and project how I would feel onto them but I just imagine him being so confused and feeling unwanted. I am sure I would be able to get him back and on one hand I would LOVE that and think that might be better for him instead of adjusting to a new foster home, but selfishly I don't know if I can go through the good-bye again.

Any thoughts, tips, advice on fostering in general and on this specific situation would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!

*** Update***
The family has decided to keep the dog and the husband will start taking allergy shots. I'm a little sad but mostly relieved that he won't have yet another transition.

That's great news for the dog and family! I've never fostered, but I can understand your feelings. I don't think I would be able to let go of the dog either and I certainly wouldn't be able to keep all of them. But the people who foster are angels for doing so.

Back