• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice about seizure

Tamiryn

Hi My name is Tamiryn and my Cavalier is Daisy. She is a black and Tan. I have been a member for awhile but have not posted. Daisy had a very bad seizure lasting at least 30 min yesterday. I rushed her to an emergency hospital. They stopped the seizure and did blood work and xrays. They did not find anything. Daisy stayed overnight for observation. She had no more seizures and they said she seemed great. This morning my husband is driving her to LIVVS. She will probably have an MRI and see the neurologist. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Tami

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry Daisy's seizure brought you here. I haven't any advise for you, but after Daisy's appointment, be sure to post an update. I sure there are many here who will be able to give advice, and many more who will give support. This is a great group!

My Bl. boy Little Joe is almost 8 years old and has had seizures since he was a young puppy. He has what is known as Idiopathic Epilepsy, i.e. of no medical or physical cause. Joe's is stress related and his fits graduated into the long lasting cluster fits like your Daisy has had. He had been clear of fits for over 3 years and starting to live the normal life of his own choosing when he somehow got hold of some rat poison, which gave him a bleed on the brain and severe cluster fits over a single weekend. He is now stabilised and fit free for almost 3 months, but the fits could return at any time.

Joe's history is a serious one, but just because Daisy has had a single cluster of half an hour it does not necessarily mean that she will ever have another. If there are more, then there are various drugs, Phenobarbitone types for a start, which will either stop the fits from occurring or at least control them; other newer drugs of a different type are also reported to give good results. Your veterinarian will tell you about these after the appropriate tests have been completed.

While you are waiting to hear more there is little that anyone can tell you, except the basics: keep Daisy safe from harm if she fits again, darken the room she is in if possible and turn off any music or speech programmes on the radio or tv. If she has more cluster fits, these are dangerous and it is essential that you get her to the vet. immediately after she has recovered, unless you can get her there safely while she is fitting. You need not protect her tongue because dogs do not swallow them while fitting and do keep clear of her head and mouth if you can, because she may injure you because of convulsive snapping and biting during the fits.

The other golden rule at any time is to never, ever, give an epileptic dog any form of Evening Primrose Oil because it is fit inducing in either dogs or animals with epileptic dispositions.

I hope she is OK a d you are able to determine a cause. This doesn't sound like episodic falling syndrome as 30 minutes is very long, but you might want to read a bit about that, as perhaps the nature of the seizure matched EFS? It would not show on blood tests but there is a genetic test for EFS.

Incidentally one of the experts on EFS and epilepsy has said that both are more common in wholecolours (rubies and B&Ts). Almost every cavalier I've known of with either EFS or epilepsy is a ruby.

Thank you everyone for your concern and advice. Daisy's MRI was good. They did not see anything of great concern. She had mild CM but the neurologist said that it would be unusual to not see CM at all in a cavalier. I was happy it wasn't considered severe. So they gave her Levetiracetam for the seizures. Thank you so much Flo for your post as I think they called it idiopathic epilepsy also. The only thing I'm somewhat still concerned about is the Dr called a little while ago and said the spinal tap was not completely clear. However he did say that after a bad seizure like Daisy had there can be some change in the spinal fluid. He said its unlikely that she has inflammation in the brain but he can't rule it out. I am supposed to keep an eye on her and report to him any neurological changes I might see. Any that seem asymetrical. It was a very bad two days. Daisy and I are best friends. I was really worried. I feel somewhat better now. She is very sleepy and not herself but they said that is probably due to the anesthesia and medication so I am watching her carefully. Please keep us in your prayers. Thanks again

Back