• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Leo

meljoy

Leo collapsed on Thursday night, I took him to the vet and they kept him over night. They scanned him Friday morning and the cardio vet called me to say his heart had deteriorated very badly since his last scan in April.
They upped his meds and said all we could was see if this helped. After a long chat with the vet I said I wanted to bring him home....he wasn't a fan of the vet and I wanted him to be here with me and my girls.

He passed away quickly and peacefully with me at 5 am this morning. He was 2 days short of his 9th birthday.

I am devastated and cant stop crying. The house is empty and there are reminders of him everywhere.

I will post a little memorial about him when I can think a bit straighter.

Thanks to all who have given their support over the years since he was diagnosed with MVD....you will never know the help it gave me.

Mel x

So sorry to hear about your beloved Leo. Thinking of you and your family at this sad time. These dogs just wrap around our hearts!

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your boy Leo. I am sure that he had a wonderful life with a caring owner who was with him right to the end. Sending you my condolences and sympathy xx

I am so very sorry Mel and to your girls as well, I know this is so very hard for you all, Leo was wonderful and he had such good care with you. Gentle hugs to you all.

Mel, I know there is nothing I can say to ease your pain. I feel it too. You loved Leo so much and he loved you in return. It is wonderful that he was with you, at home, when he took his last breath.

Run free sweet Leo, RiP.

Oh Mel, I am so sorry - Leo seemed to be doing pretty well, so his sudden deterioration must have been such a shock. It's not just the huge gap he leaves, it's sadness that he didn't have longer to enjoy life, to love you and be loved by you. This horrible, horrible disease. Reading about Leo reminded me of Aled, and my tears are for you, and everyone who loses their Cavaliers too soon.

A big hug :hug:

Kate

Thank you everyone for your kind words they mean so much....

It helps to know so many people care...my phone hasn't stopped all day......and neither have my tears

Oh Mel, just seeing this now. I am so very sorry -- it must have been distressing to have him go through a collapse; the same happened with my Leo too. Your Leo has been a member here along with you for so many years. I feel such sorrow to lose these old friends, even if I never met them in person. Thinking of you and of course you will know that everyone here understands your grief and loss.

Oh dear this is too awful. I am so sorry for your loss and I am yet another who understands your grief only too well.

After the tears have run their course will come the happy memories of the love you shared with each other.

Karlin and Flo
Thank you so much for your kind words. Despite my grief it really helps to have people who understand. I have had so much support from friends and work colleagues its humbling.

I'm sure in time I will be able to think of Leo and laugh and smile.....he made me do that everyday.

Again, thank you xx

Dear Mel,

I have not been on the forum for a long time, but Kate told me the sad news and I just had to come on to say how sorry I am. These dear little dogs, we love them so much and they take a bit of our heart when they die.
RIP Leo xxx

Mel.
I have not been able to access the board for a couple months and am now reading this and want to extend my condolences from across the pond. I have been reading about Leo since I joined this forum and am so sorry for your loss. He had such a wonderful, caring owner. I hope your sorrow is soon filled with warm memories.
Diana

I am just now seeing this. I am so sorry for your loss. My Lucky passed away last week. I understand what you are going through. I've been crying a lot too {{hugs}}

Thank you Lani and Wolf.
Its been, and still is horrible. I cried again last night....I don't know why but I was thinking of him and had another weep.
Lani I read about Lucky and was so sorry for your loss. I was thinking of all the wonderful photos you posted of your beautiful dogs.

I had no idea when I got Leo how his loss would effect me....I'm grateful I have such wonderful memories of my time with him.

Mel xxx

I hate to say this Mel, but 9 months on from losing Oliver and Aled, I still cry if I think about them. I love Ruby, my new Cavalier, but she has a nice habit of crossing her front paws when lying down and a few days ago I thought 'Aled never did that', and away I went again. And poor Ruby still quite often gets called Oliver-Aled-bother it, Ruby! I'm not sure the grief ever goes away - you just have to put it in storage in order to get on with life and to be fair to any other dogs you have. And then you have it all over again with them :(

:hug:

Kate and Ruby

I hate to say this Mel, but 9 months on from losing Oliver and Aled, I still cry if I think about them. I love Ruby, my new Cavalier, but she has a nice habit of crossing her front paws when lying down and a few days ago I thought 'Aled never did that', and away I went again. And poor Ruby still quite often gets called Oliver-Aled-bother it, Ruby! I'm not sure the grief ever goes away - you just have to put it in storage in order to get on with life and to be fair to any other dogs you have. And then you have it all over again with them :(

:hug:

Kate and Ruby

Thanks you Kate. Its nice to know I'm not the only one and what I'm doing is not out of the ordinary.
Ive had a few people ask me when I'm getting another dog. My answer is I cant think of it yet as the only dog I want is Leo and any other one I get just yet I will want to have his characteristics and personality and that's not fair on either me or any new dog I bring into my home....

Of course I'm not ruling out that one day when its right there will be another little dog sitting on my lap filling the gap Leo has left. And I wouldn't be surprised if when that day comes I think of Leo and the tears will come again.

Mel xx

Its been, and still is horrible. I cried again last night....I don't know why but I was thinking of him and had another weep.
Lani I read about Lucky and was so sorry for your loss. I was thinking of all the wonderful photos you posted of your beautiful dogs.

I had no idea when I got Leo how his loss would effect me....I'm grateful I have such wonderful memories of my time with him.

Mel xxx

Kate is so right. The tears never stop comming, they just change over time. Sydney is gone now
3.5 years, and there are days that all I have to do is look at his picture and just cry. When we decided to get another dog, just 7 months later, we knew we wouldn'tbe able to handle having a bBlenheim, we thought it would be too painful. So we got our little Ruby, Bella. She is as different from Sydney as night and day. Then, of course, came Milo, and he and Bella both have different personalities.

Like Kate says, you love all of them unconditionally and each is special in their own way. Sydney was my first dog, my heart dog. He left a large hole in my heart. Bella and Milo haven't replaced him, but they did help me feel happiness again and I am so glad I have them in my life.

When the time is right, your heart will let you know. You'll be able to love another with all your happy memories of Leo.

Just seeing all your comments I realize that I am not alone in what I feel about losing Jasper, it has been over a year now in August, and I still get upset, he was our first family dog - our introduction to cavaliers, I know we have Ollie and we got him when Jasper was 10 years old, but it was still so hard, they had different personalities, although over the year we keep saying Ollie is changing in his habits in what Jasper use to do, all I hope is he lives to such a good age as his little mate. Joyce it`s hard to believe that you lost Sydney over 3 years ago, time certainly goes by fast.

Back