• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Three month old Puppy with diarrea off and on.

Karen Rawlins

Hi, I have a new puppy named Winston. When I got him he was on Purina Pro Plan for toy breeds. He got along fine. I transitioned him to Blue for puppies and he started getting diarrhea.I also found that milk bone brand treats made it worse. So I tried the boiled rice and boiled chicken for a few days and this seemed to help. Then I put him back on the Purina Pro Plan and things improved. I would give him little pieces of boiled chicken for treats and so now the diarrhea has returned. Mostly at night. Vet suggested yogurt every day and am trying that. My other Cavalier, Churchill had digestive problems and I ended up making his food and he did well on that. Any suggestions.

Sorry your little one is having tummy issues. I feed Bella and Milo Merrick grain free dry food with a little yogurt for breakfast. For dinner I add some chicken or salmon mixed in. I also give them a spoonful of plain pumpkin as a treat, which will help settle an upset stomach. They also get a doggie biscuit at lunchtime, Instinct brand. They both do really well with these and haven't had any issues.

I think Blue is high in protein, not 100% sure on that, but sometimes food high in protein can cause stomach upsets. Hope this helps and that Winston starts feeling better.

Hi, I have a new puppy named Winston. When I got him he was on Purina Pro Plan for toy breeds. He got along fine. I transitioned him to Blue for puppies and he started getting diarrhea.I also found that milk bone brand treats made it worse. So I tried the boiled rice and boiled chicken for a few days and this seemed to help. Then I put him back on the Purina Pro Plan and things improved. I would give him little pieces of boiled chicken for treats and so now the diarrhea has returned. Mostly at night. Vet suggested yogurt every day and am trying that. My other Cavalier, Churchill had digestive problems and I ended up making his food and he did well on that. Any suggestions.

Many, many cavalier pups have sensitive tummies. Sometimes it is even the stress of going to a new home (or the holiday excitement) that throws off the digestive tract.

First, I would cut out all treats. He doesn't need them at this point.

I feed my cav Blue/small breed/ckn-rice and Blue is a good quality food. If you want to switch from one brand to another, you do it very slowly, and introduce the new food in a small portion as you gradually cut down on the original. You don't mention how old the pup is, but he may be ready for adult food (puppy food is higher in fat).

YOu didn't mention if the vet checked his stool for guardia or other parasites. That could cause diarrhea as well. Provided that parasites are not involved, just decide on what you would like your long term food to be and introduces slowly, and no treats (the yogurt actually does not sound like a solution to me).

Good luck. I went through months of loose stool with Bosco when he was a pup and mainly it was due to guardia, which is often not detected in stool samples. Good news is that this does pass, and he is fine today..

Good luck with your pup.

JOan

Back