• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello again!

Tempest

I just wanted to do a quick post to say hello and introduce myself as I joined quite a few years ago but haven't posted for ages :p I'm hoping to find a rescue Cavalier to join the family and thought this would be a good place to start :p

Our previous rescue dog passed away about 5 years ago now (he was a springer/collie cross) and now I'm teaching part time rather than full time having a dog has at last become an option againb*n*n*

I've always had rescue pets (we currently have 2 rescue cats who haven't lived with a dog before) and I want to go down the rescue route rather than going to a breeder (plus I definitely don't want a puppy :lol:) I know it might be a long wait to find an adult, cat friendly Cavalier in rescue so I thought I should probably start the search sooner rather than later and this seemed like a good place :p

Hi Tempest

Whereabouts do you live? (Which continent for a start!) If you live in the UK there are several rescues that take adult Cavaliers out of appalling conditions in puppy farms. However, they usually (and rightly, in my experience) insist that they must go to homes that already have a dog to help them adjust to normal home life. At the same time, they do occasionally have Cavaliers who come from different backgrounds - last year, for example, I adopted a 6-year-old rescue who had been a pet and whose owner got too ill to care for her, and she does fine as an only dog. There are also smaller, local rescues who care for Cavaliers who come into the local pound as lost or abandoned. So you may find that you don't have to wait as long as you expect - it's a matter of luck and keeping an eye out.

Of course, if you live in the US I won't have been any help at all, but there are other people on this forum who will be able to point you in the right direction!

Good hunting!

Kate and Ruby

Hi Kate - thanks for the reply :D I'm based in the UK (I live in Essex) so your comments definitely apply :D I don't think we'd be able to apply for an ex breeder as we don't have an existing dog and are only planning on adopting 1.

It's good to know that Cavs do appear from time to time so I thought if I regularly keep checking rescues websites hopefully at some point a cat friendly one will appear who will be happy with my part time working hours :D We're not in a rush though so are prepared to wait as long as it takes :)

Hi Kate - thanks for the reply :D I'm based in the UK (I live in Essex) so your comments definitely apply :D I don't think we'd be able to apply for an ex breeder as we don't have an existing dog and are only planning on adopting 1.

It's good to know that Cavs do appear from time to time so I thought if I regularly keep checking rescues websites hopefully at some point a cat friendly one will appear who will be happy with my part time working hours :D We're not in a rush though so are prepared to wait as long as it takes :)

Upi aren't likely to be too far from Battersea Dogs' Home Tempest; they have a website listing some or all of the dogs they have for rescue, so perhaps you should have a look there to start. Getting yourself approved as a suitable home would be a good idea too, so that when a suitable dog comes along, you will have already completed part of the process.

You could start off the same process with Southern Cavalier King Charles Club's rescue too and perhaps the Eastern Club. The more feelers you put out the better I would say.

If you are on Facebook, you would find it useful to look at www.facebook.com/CavalierRescueUk
They act as a kind of clearing house for Cavaliers in rescue, lost and found. The Cavalier clubs seem to have very few dogs coming to them - when I was looking for Ruby I put my name down on all the surrounding club rescues but in a couple of months had heard nothing from them. Ruby is from Many Tears, based in Wales but fostering dogs all over the UK (Ruby was fostered in Southampton, while I live in Coventry!); most of their Cavaliers are from puppy farms, but Ruby was from a pet home, her owner had got too ill to care for her and she was rehomed just after her sixth birthday, so I was allowed to have her as an only dog. It's really just a matter of luck whether a suitable Cavalier comes up for adoption - you can only spread your net wide and see what comes up!

Good hunting!

Kate and Ruby

Thanks for the links - I am on Facebook so have added that Cavalier one in :) I did email Southern Cavalier rescue and they said I'm out of their catchment area but have got myself on the waiting list for the Eastern group - I think they said they are based in Lincolnshire so they're a but of a trek away. I've noticed Pro Dogs Direct seem to have Cavs from time to time so am keeping an eye on their website - I'll check Many Tears too but I don't think we'll be a suitable match for an ex puppy farm dog due to our working hours and not having an existing dog.

Back