• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Would you get a CKCS Puppy?

Rosewoodsteel

I love Cavaliers and deeply miss our sweet little guy. I really have no interest in getting any other breed. But, I have to admit, after reading all of the information on MVD, SM, etc., it has me a bit scared. My boy was relatively healthy; maybe our new pup won't be. The breeder I have selected truly has the best interests of the breed at heart. All of the health tests for the dam and sire and pup by the appropriately certified health professionals, etc. The "grand" parents MVD clear at age 5. With the exception of MRIing for Syringomyelia, I believe everything within reason has been done (MRIs are just so damn costly here in the U.S.).
So, with all that you know about the breed, would you get a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy now?

If I were 10 years younger I wouldn't hesitate to bring another Cavalier puppy into my life. The other dogs would be thrilled.

Mvd has never been a serious issue with any of my dogs, fortunately, but my beloved Rebel was SM symptomatic for the last 4 years or so of his life, which we both coped with well for the majority of the time. When pain levels increased I either tweaked his pain relief or the vet was able to add something to the cocktail.

I am sorry that MRIs are so costly in the United States, but there again, however much testing is done there is still no guarantee that SM will not be present.

Last edited:
I think getting a puppy of any breed carries risks. Many Great Danes die of heart failure at the age of 6 or 7. Flatcoat retrievers are prone to cancer. German Shepherds get degenerative myelopathy and hip dysplasia. Etc. etc. You can only do the best you can to minimize the risk, as you seem to be doing with your new puppy. Not just with dogs, risk is part of living - think of getting married, having children, starting a business... It is the people who don't health test, who breed too many litters, who con their customers into thinking they are getting a healthy pup, who increase the risk for all the rest of us who do the right thing - and unfortunately there's not much we can do about that.

Kate and Ruby

I have only had 1 CKC and he is a joy. Fortunately, he is healthy (other than a patella issue). He came from a respected breeder in Texas and is presently 4 years old. Right now, I have 3 dogs. I'm about 10 years from retirement, and should I ever get another dog, I would want a CKC due to their disposition. My only concern is whether a CKC needs other dogs or humans around them all the time. Bosco is fine with the other dogs for company, and latches on to me when I get home from work. I often wonder if people with just 1 CKC are with their dogs all the time. I could see where a ckc could get very lonely.

Like everyone here I adore Cavaliers they are simply the best little dogs.....However I am very conflicted about getting another one. Leo was brought from a health conscious breeder who did all she was supposed to regarding breeding. It didn't stop my little guy developing heart disease and dying at the age of just 9 years.

I know some are lucky and have their dogs for many years but my experience is all I have. I don't think I'll get another cav but who knows what happens when people (or dogs) come in to our life.

Until I had Aled I had never had more than one Cavalier - before Aled arrived, Oliver had been an only for 7 years. The plus with having one is that they are easy to take everywhere with you, and because they had quite a busy life (training class, going to meetings, visiting friends, going on holiday, long country walks etc) they never had any problems about being left on their own for up to 5 hours in emergencies. For most of the time I have worked part in an office and part at home, and people seem quite happy to have one well-behaved dog at meetings in the office - or at church! I don't think any of them was lonely and they didn't go mad with excitement when meeting other dogs - Aled, my rescue, was the most sociable!

I weigh up this question all the time -- both for rescues and puppies! -- and have to say I always come back to cavaliers. I hope to have a new puppy from a fantastically responsible, testing breeder in the coming year, as my gang are almost all seniors now and I've lost three now of my original gang. The newbie rescues I've added in have all been older/elderly dogs, bar one who is 2.5 and likely has CM or SM or PSOM causing a few mild issues but easily managed right now. My SM dogs have all reached at least age 11... all I've lost were struck down by MVD :( . I just detest MVD, as much as I hate CM/SM. But... my heart is just so much with cavaliers, and I think supporting responsible breeding creates a future for this wonderful breed.

And yes: agree with above posts on sometimes being easy to forget that genetic health as an issue for other pedigree and crossbreeds, too. We've got a new rescue Newfoundland (must post pictures!) with severe hip dysplasia at just age 7.5, needing daily NSAIDs. I am sure the breeder never tested for this basic issue in the breed. :( I've friends with other breeds and their own health issues too. A responsible breeder is a must in any breed and there are too few.

Your breeder sounds great. SM/CM and PSOM would still concern me a bit with them being so prevalent in the breed.

In some ways, I think it is a blessing that I have dog allergies, because it made weighing this question of whether to get another Cavalier much easier for me when Lucky passed away. My allergies are so bad that there was no question - I needed a breed that would not aggregate my allergies as much. That said, I will always adore Cavaliers and if some day the health of the breed improved and their lifespan improved *and* my allergies disappear ... then I would love to have the joyful disposition of a Cavalier in my house again.

That said, I am so thrilled with my little Lhasa Apso Caroline. She is such a character and she loves Sparky so much. She's brought such a fun dynamic into the household and she & Sparky get along amazingly well. I chose a Lhasa because I've had them previously (loved them and no allergic reactions) but also because they are an ancient breed that is generally healthy and has a longer life expectancy. Losing Lucky at just 9 years old was devastating for me.

Back