PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new board folks!!

Karlin
11th March 2005, 02:54 AM
Not much here yet but it is up and working. I'll start to fill in other areas over the weekend. If you have suggestions for sections let me know.

You can create avatars and signatures. Avatars need to be linked from an image elsewhere -- on flickr.com or photobucket.com for example if you are using a picture. You need to reduce the picture to the right size -- but you can read the general FAQ section at the very top for further information.

Now it is 2am in Ireland and I am going to bed!!

11th March 2005, 03:16 AM
Wow, almost looks like the old board.

MP

Karlin
11th March 2005, 03:20 AM
It's the default template. Clicking on the PHP logo will take you back to the site index. I need to do a lot of fiddling yet.

11th March 2005, 04:17 AM
Wow, looks nice.

BonnieB
11th March 2005, 04:22 AM
Oops, Guest was me. I had a problem or so re-registering. I'm going to go now and take a look around. I like the signature option.

BonnieB
11th March 2005, 04:40 AM
Oh Wow, Avitars are neat too. Karlin, you did good Girlfriend.

Cathy T
11th March 2005, 04:43 AM
Alright!! Here we go!!

BonnieB
11th March 2005, 04:50 AM
Cathy, we OK girl.

Karlin
11th March 2005, 10:58 AM
I tried to think about all the stuff we talk about regularly that then gets hard to find because *everything* is under, say, 'general'. And create some subsections. I especially thought this would be useful on pictures as there are certain recurring types of pictures that everyone likes to see -- owner pics and puppies for example!

I'm limiting posting ability in the FAQs etc for the moment. I'm also trying to figure out how we can post some documents -- Clare Rusbridge for example has offered to let us put in her quarterly newsletter. Also need to fix that index page -- I know what the problem is; it's just figuring out (remembering!) how to fix it. Once that is fixed then we can let people know more generally that this site is here.

I will have much more time to do this this evening -- right now I'm working on a pile of stories that need to be done for this evening!

MaggieM
11th March 2005, 02:57 PM
Very nice! I really like this one! Except I can't get my avatar to work! *pout* :cry:

Karlin
11th March 2005, 03:35 PM
Maybe it is too large? You should just need to paste in the url to the space provided for the avatar in your profile.

MaggieM
11th March 2005, 03:59 PM
I don't think this one likes Shutterfly... because I can't get my picture of Sophie up either.

Also, I can't get it to keep me logged in once its bookmarked? Ugh :)

Katsback
11th March 2005, 08:23 PM
I love the new board, just trying to figure out how everything works. Look forward to seeing all of your lovely pooches.
Kat

rosalie
11th March 2005, 09:23 PM
Do I need for the HTML option to be off or on? I'm also checking my time. I like to know the time everyone posts.

rosalie

My time is right for central time. GMT - 6

It's 2:25pm right now.

11th March 2005, 11:06 PM
Now my time is off. it"s 4:07 and it say 8:? the main time is off, how do we fix the main time?

rosalie

BarbMazz
11th March 2005, 11:11 PM
:shock: WOW, Karlin... very nicely done! Thanks to Jackie for giving me a heads up about this nice new place.

:)

Barb

p.s. I'll hafta set aside some time to get an avatar up! What a nice touch!

Pat
11th March 2005, 11:12 PM
Bonnie -- will you make an avatar for me tomorrow? You can take a picture of Nominee.......maybe I'll bring Darby too.

rosalie
11th March 2005, 11:19 PM
there must be a time ghost that likes to confuse me :evil:

rosalie

Karlin
11th March 2005, 11:22 PM
You set your own time zone in your profile section (down near the bottom). otherwise default is GMT (which I am on anyway!).

Maggie so you are habing the login problem too. Anyone who hasn't yet but signed up before just now: you need to go to the Tools section of your browser (on top bar), go into 'internet options', then click on BOTH 'delete cookies' and 'delete files' which clears everything. Then I hope the login problem will stop...

Karlin
12th March 2005, 02:20 AM
OK, I've just spent a few hours demolishing all the smilies, and desperately trying to get them to reappear, then eventually finding a batch that worked to replace them... :shock: :?

I like this new set a little better than the standard ones and now have to figure out how to add others...

Next step will be to start filling some of the empty space then replace the php logo with a temporary image til my friend does our new logo... at that point this will look a bit more like a proper board than a template!!

Roberta
12th March 2005, 06:01 PM
Karlin,

Congrats on getting the new board up and running :D It is great to have the avatars and the signature line. Thanks for all your work in making it happen!!

Roberta
12th March 2005, 06:02 PM
Karlin,

Congrats on getting the new board up and running :D It is great to have the avatars and the signature line. Thanks for all your work in making it happen!!

MPB
13th March 2005, 02:05 AM
Karlin,

FYI, I never had a problem with logging on and staying on after the first night.

I would like to see both a Health and Diet section.

Also about avatars. They don't show up in the preview mode. Just wanted to let people know. :)

Karlin
13th March 2005, 02:35 AM
The logging on problem happened to two people and has been reported before on this software but the fix I tried seems to have resolved it.

Leigh Ann
13th March 2005, 02:55 AM
We seem to have the problem of duplicate posts over here, too.

Karlin
13th March 2005, 03:01 AM
What's the duplicate posts problem? I haven't seen any yet... Could be because of anyone who didn't delete out their file and cookie cache then resign in, they are getting logged on twice?

Rosalie did you see how to change your time? You change it in the profile section for yourself, down near the bottom. Also did you figure out how to resize your avatar? I liked that pic you had of the dogpile!

Leigh Ann
13th March 2005, 03:03 AM
What's the duplicate posts problem? I haven't seen any yet... Could be because of anyone who didn't delete out their file and cookie cache then resign in, they are getting logged on twice?

Look up a few posts. Roberta has two identical posts.

Leigh Ann
13th March 2005, 03:04 AM
It is truly bizarre that you cannot edit your own post unless it's the very last post. Any way to get that changed?

Karlin
13th March 2005, 03:09 AM
I think you can edit it but it will say it is edited and say how many times. That's what happens on Bart's board. I can look at the settings and see if that is a value I need to change.

Tomorrow I will set you and Pat up with permissions to post into the FAQs.

Leigh Ann
13th March 2005, 03:11 AM
I am now seeing the edit. I think I was looking at someone else's post. There's something you can't do to your post unless it's the last one. It must be delete. It's weird. I'm used to seeing all the buttons on everyone's messages!

Karlin
13th March 2005, 03:30 AM
Also you can edit your post without the 'edited' line coming up as long as it is the last post, I think...

I believe you can always delete your post but you can tell by looking at the options you are given on the post itself.

Leigh Ann
13th March 2005, 03:37 AM
Also you can edit your post without the 'edited' line coming up as long as it is the last post, I think...

I believe you can always delete your post but you can tell by looking at the options you are given on the post itself.

As soon as there's another post under yours, the X for delete disappears. It's not a big deal, someone can just erase their message if they want it gone. I just think it's weird.

Karlin
13th March 2005, 03:54 AM
Hmmm, may be to preserve the flow of a thread -- as in if you post and then people respond and then you delete your post, it can be confusing to the whole thread; whereas iat least if you delete the contents but can't remove the post entirely it shows there was a post by you, to which people responded...

13th March 2005, 03:15 PM
Hi Karlin,

I've enjoyed looking around your new site. It's brillaint but I can't seem to log in :cry:

Please can you help.

Thanks.

13th March 2005, 03:20 PM
Hi Karlin,

I've enjoyed looking around your new site. It's brillaint but I can't seem to log in :cry:

Please can you help.

Thanks.

Ooops it would help if I said you I was.

Julie m

Dee
13th March 2005, 03:31 PM
Great new site!!! Now I will never get to bed at a decent hour!! Thanks Karlin for all your hard work-it is terrific!

Karlin
13th March 2005, 03:36 PM
Julie you need to register first. If you registered before and now it won't let you log in, you need to delete your file and cookie cache and then return to the site and it will ask you to register again. You do this by going to the Tools menu at top of your browser then Internet Options then click the buttons to delete files and cookies.

If things still aren't working let me know.

13th March 2005, 04:01 PM
Still no Luck!

I go into delete files and cookies, then register again, try logging on and it say's sorry there is someone already registerd with that user name try again.

Karlin
13th March 2005, 04:32 PM
Oh, then you just need to choose a differnet user name. Try an initial, ior a nickname, or whatever you'd like. You can see who else is registered by looking at the memberlist (also in top menu).

Karlin
13th March 2005, 04:33 PM
By the way maybe it is already you! If it is, and you can log in, the you need to tick the box to automatically log in with each visit.

Maxwell&me
13th March 2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the great site....and all the hard work! OOps...let me resize that.... :shock:

Katsback1
14th March 2005, 12:12 AM
Karlin,
I registered,but never got the registration email to validate me. Could you send one, or do I have to try another name. This happened before, but I could not re-register with the same email because it was already registered, but not activated. Perhaps my activation email is going to my bulk inbox which I delete?
Could that be where it is going?, Are you able to initiate an activation email link?
Thanks, Kat

14th March 2005, 12:29 AM

Mary
14th March 2005, 12:53 AM
I didn't need an activation email either. This is a nice new board. It will be nice having 2 to visit and for backup if the other is down icon_banana

rory
14th March 2005, 01:47 AM
No confirmation email either. I just had to re-log on.

Karlin
14th March 2005, 02:27 AM
Kat I replied on another thread to your question...

Paris
14th March 2005, 03:56 AM
I like the new message board, and if I can get my avatar to work it would be just super!! I'm trying again w/ this post...

Julie
14th March 2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Karlin for all your help. It worked first time today. Not sure what went wrong yesterday.

When I get more time later today I will try and get a picture up. More problems no doubt. :?

Julie.

Julie
14th March 2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks Karlin for all your help. It worked first time today. Not sure what went wrong yesterday.

When I get more time later today I will try and get a picture up. More problems no doubt. :?

Julie.

Yes that's made my day. I can't believe I done the photo first time. :D :D :D :D

Julie
18th March 2005, 09:28 PM
Karlin 1 week on and 39 new members to the board with over 500 posts you must be pleased that all your hard work and efforts in getting this web site up and running has paid off.

Well done and thank you once again. icon_thumbsup

Karlin
18th March 2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks and glad people are settling in.

I FINALLY got a stack of stories out of the way so can do a little fiddling with the board this weekend.

Julie
18th March 2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks and glad people are settling in.

I FINALLY got a stack of stories out of the way so can do a little fiddling with the board this weekend.

Don't you ever stop work?

Karlin
18th March 2005, 10:01 PM
Board stuff isn't work... :lol: icon_banana

deb_d
19th March 2005, 01:19 AM
Hi,

I haven't introduced myself, although I know several of you from the other board, and the New Orleans show.

My name is Deb and I have 1 year old (3/25/05) Blenheim cavalier named Patches, she is the "apple of her daddy's eye" :lol:

I live near New Orleans, LA.

The board is great, I like having so many resources available to talk with other CKCS owners.

Karlin, great job icon_thumbsup

Julie
19th March 2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Deb- So you have a birthday to celebrate next week. I hope we get to see a photo of patches on her special 1st birthday. :D