PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a name

Harry & Heidi's mom
3rd July 2005, 11:22 PM
Hi,

I've found a lovely TRI cavalier and should be bringing him home in about 4 weeks time.

He is currently called Bentley, but can change his name if i want to, so could you give me a few ideas????

:D

Heather

Nicki
4th July 2005, 08:11 AM
Wonderful news Heather, really pleased for you.

Is it the little guy with the undeshot jaw?

I rather like Bentley actually :D

But my shortlist for boys is:

Monty
Tyler
Joshua
Russet {for a Blen or Ruby}

Could you get hold of a baby names book? SOmtimes they help.

If you can post a photo, that would help - then we could see what suits him :D

http://www.dog-names.us/ is a website with dog names - worth a look.

Harry & Heidi's mom
4th July 2005, 08:47 AM
Yes, this is the pup with the overshot jaw, ;)

I like the name Bentley, but my kids arn't so keen on it.

i like the names Toby and Josh...... gosh it is hard to decide lol

I have a pic of him on my mobile, does anyone know if i can somehow get it on my pc??

Heather

Maxxs_Mummy
4th July 2005, 08:53 AM
I'd love to be able to help here but, unfortunately any names I've ever picked for my babies (that incidentally I pick up all bills for and clean up after, feed, groom and love to the ends of the earth) have always been pooh-poohed by my hubby and kids and they've all ended up being called by a name that one of them has picked :x [/b]

Nancy
4th July 2005, 01:50 PM
there are many sites on dog names online , if you need help finding them, let me know and I'll post an address. I've always thought it's a little selfish to rename an adult dog. Just my opinion though.

rory
4th July 2005, 03:38 PM
there are many sites on dog names online , if you need help finding them, let me know and I'll post an address. I've always thought it's a little selfish to rename an adult dog. Just my opinion though.

I'm pretty sure it's a puppy.

You can get the pic off of your phone. Send it to your email, then you'll have the image! then you can put it on an online photo hosting site (like www.photobucket.com) and post it here! :D

I love the name game!!

Cathy T
4th July 2005, 04:54 PM
I love the name Toby. But, my nephew named my parents' goat, Toby and then they had the nerve to name the other one Sabrina, another of my favorite names. I also love the name Charlie but since that's my Dad and one of my nephew's I guess that name is used up!

Harry & Heidi's mom
4th July 2005, 07:39 PM
I've always thought it's a little selfish to rename an adult dog. Just my opinion though.

Hi,

He is a pup not an adult, he is 9 weeks old at the moment.
If he had been ad adult then i would not have changed it :D

Trying to get the pic for you all to see

Heather

Harry & Heidi's mom
4th July 2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/blackbeauty/ATT00015.jpg

hope this works icon_banana icon_banana

Nicki
4th July 2005, 08:13 PM
Oh he's gorgeous Heather, what a sweetie icon_heartthrob

He looks more like a Toby than a Josh though...will have a think for some more names :D

Do you have any special interests that you would like to use names from - cars, flowers etc?

Harry & Heidi's mom
4th July 2005, 08:25 PM
Hi Nikki,

I'm a big Harry Potter fan, but i don't want a "typical" dogs name like ben or sam lol

Maxxs_Mummy
4th July 2005, 09:23 PM
Why not call him Harry then???? :D

Harry & Heidi's mom
4th July 2005, 09:55 PM
hi Maxxs mum,

Does that not sound cheesy tho????? :lol:

although tempted i am lol

Heather

Nicki
4th July 2005, 10:07 PM
Preferably not Hagrid though LOL

Harry is a great name, maybe also James/Jamie after his Father?

Have known a couple of Dudleys - but this wouldn't be my choice :lol:

Sirius or Padfoot?

Nicki
4th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Preferably not Hagrid though LOL

Harry is a great name, maybe also James/Jamie after his Father?

Have known a couple of Dudleys - but this wouldn't be my choice :lol:

Sirius or Padfoot?

OH DEAR the truth is out - I'm a bit of a HP fan myself :lol: :oops:

Harry & Heidi's mom
4th July 2005, 10:11 PM
couldn't call him Jamie, my friends adorable son is called Jamie :lol:

What about Inca?

Harry & Heidi's mom
4th July 2005, 10:49 PM
Edison

Merlin

Bones

DJ

Marbles

Radar

icon_whistling

rory
5th July 2005, 12:32 AM
What about Gryffin?? (Short for Gryffindor, of course!)

OMG - doesn't the new book come out tomorrow?!?!

Oh, you in the UK probably already have it, huh? :(

Cathy T
5th July 2005, 01:33 AM
I actually know a ruby named "Harry Potter"!!

Harry & Heidi's mom
5th July 2005, 02:14 PM
oh cathy don't tempt me :lol:

i asked my kids this morning what they thought of the name Harry, my daughter just rolled her eyes and walked away :lol: :lol: :lol:
then said ok ok we'll call him Josh ha ha ha

Nicki
5th July 2005, 02:16 PM
OMG - doesn't the new book come out tomorrow?!?!

Oh, you in the UK probably already have it, huh? :(

No it's not released here until the 16th...it's already on order from Amazon :lol: :lol: {don't expect me to be around very much for a few days after that, I couldn't put the last one down!!}

I know a girl Cavalier called "Inca"...

I have a Tri pup at the Bridge called Merlin {he only lived 8 days :cry: :cry: }, he was a gorgeous boy though, and I'd be thrilled if you called your Tri baby that too :D

Harry & Heidi's mom
5th July 2005, 02:20 PM
No it's not released here until the 16th...it's already on order from Amazon :lol: :lol: {don't expect me to be around very much for a few days after that, I couldn't put the last one down!!

I have a Tri pup at the Bridge called Merlin {he only lived 8 days :cry: :cry: }, he was a gorgeous boy though, and I'd be thrilled if you called your Tri baby that too :D[/quote]

I've pre ordered my book and told my boss i'll not be in work that day ;)

Sorry to hear about your pup, will ask kids what they think of Merlin, although i keep coming back to josh... or sticking with bentley

Harry & Heidi's mom
5th July 2005, 11:29 PM
well i think i've narrowed it down to 3 names....

Toby

Josh

Harry

Just you guys to vote for your fave cos i can't decide :roll:

Maxxs_Mummy
5th July 2005, 11:37 PM
Harry
Harry
Harry
Harry

& I've just asked Maxx and he said Harry too ;)

Harry & Heidi's mom
5th July 2005, 11:41 PM
so thats 1 for Harry (well 5 really :lol: :lol: )

Mary
6th July 2005, 02:43 AM
I pick Toby. Love that name...it sounds so little boy.

rory
6th July 2005, 03:08 AM
Harry or Toby.

But I like Bentley, too! Maybe the best...

Maxxs_Mummy
6th July 2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe.... You should get another two........ and then you can have Harry, Toby and Bentley ;)

Nicki
6th July 2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe.... You should get another two........ and then you can have Harry, Toby and Bentley ;)

What about Josh too, Donna - I think that means that Heather will have to have 4 boys!! :lol:

Well I like all of those, Toby does suit him - but the others do too. Oh dear I'm not being much help here :oops:

Maybe at your next visit, try the names out and see if he responds to any of them?

Also stand in the middle of the field - or wherever you are going to walk him, and call out each name in turn. If you are embarrased by any of them, then don't call him that LOL. And if any dogs do turn up, then that's going to cause confusion!!!

BonnieB
6th July 2005, 06:32 PM
My vote is for Toby.

6th July 2005, 06:41 PM

Harry & Heidi's mom
6th July 2005, 09:44 PM
i guess i'll have to wait until i see him again before i can decide what suits him, and i won't be getting a 2nd one for at least 2 years icon_whistling icon_whistling

Cathy T
6th July 2005, 10:24 PM
i guess i'll have to wait until i see him again before i can decide what suits him, and i won't be getting a 2nd one for at least 2 years icon_whistling icon_whistling

So she says!!! I had no intentions of getting a second one. Jake and Shelby are 10 months apart! icon_whistling

Harry & Heidi's mom
6th July 2005, 11:02 PM
:lol: icon_whistling

what about Alfie??

Cathy T
7th July 2005, 12:55 AM
:lol: icon_whistling

what about Alfie??

I LOVE that name!

Andrea&Diva´s mom
7th July 2005, 04:01 PM
I really like Alfie but I also like Toby, oh this is hard work :? hehe

but my votes goes to Toby and Alfie :lol:

rory
7th July 2005, 05:24 PM
We had a chalk board and whenever we thought of a name we put it up o n the board. Just looking at it regularly helped. Sometimes a name that originally seemed really cool got less cool the more we looked at it - so it would get erased.

Harry & Heidi's mom
8th July 2005, 09:43 PM
hi Nikki,

I'm starting to like the name Teddy!!! ;)

Lindee
8th July 2005, 11:24 PM
I was considering a pup a while ago and I wanted to name him Willow...Will for short....I love nature names.
The boy I'm considering now is 9 months..so I really shouldn't change his name, right? It's Connor.

Karlin
9th July 2005, 12:23 AM
They quickly learn a new name. A 'name' to them is a wod they know means they should look to you and means something is happening that involves them. Mine also respond in the same way to 'treats' or 'look'... :lol:

Leo's name was Gizmo (though the breeder hated it -- his daughter chose it and he was her dog!). I chose a name I liked and that was close-ish to Gizmo -- same ending sound. He was responding to Leo within days.

I've fostered pound dogs -- we give them names to identify them and give them some personality instead of a number -- and they respond very quickly to a new name. It is like learning a new command for them, they learn quickly that the word means some sort of attention from you.

rory
9th July 2005, 01:55 AM
I agree with Karlin that changing the name is not a big deal for dogs. We can't anthropomorphize them and think they know it's a "name" in the same sense that we hold identity with our name. It is, like Karlin said, a command/word that indicates that you want their attention or that they are going to be getting attention from you.

So many dogs have multiple name changes in life (think of all the strays at the shelter who are given a new name when they come in) and adjust perfectly. :)

Nicki
9th July 2005, 05:44 PM
hi Nikki,

I'm starting to like the name Teddy!!! ;)

It's such an appropriate name for a Cavalier, they are real cuddle monsters so are true TeddyBears.

Teddy is often shortened to TedBear - which he answers too!

I do agree about changing names - they seem to learn very quickly as long as it's associated with something nice, like food or a cuddle.

TedBear was Freddie, which we didn't particularly like. We called him FreddieTeddy or TeddyFreddie for the first 24 hours, and after that he responded just to Teddy!

Harry & Heidi's mom
9th July 2005, 08:12 PM
my daughters teddy is called Freddy, and my son has a teddy called Teddy Edward, so maybe Teddy is the name for us?!? :?

Maxxs_Mummy
10th July 2005, 12:23 AM
I also call Maxx Maxxiemoos and he will also respond when i call him Moo LOL

Very often if I am looking for him I say Mooooooooooooooo where are you? He'll come trotting out from wherever he was sleeping LOL

The kids call him 'fatpig' and he responds to that too - dogs aren't stupid, they know when someone loves them and is going to give them attention LOL

Nicki
10th July 2005, 10:50 AM
Heather, it sounds like Teddy is going to be the name of choice then :D We're honoured icon_banana

Oh dear if this is turning into a discussion about what they are also called as well as their names, I'm going to have to confess...

Rupert was always known as Rupert Poopert Puppy Dog, revised to The Poopster since he's become a veteran :lol:

Needless to say, TedBear is now known as The Tedster :D

Peaches is Peachy-Flops, Floppity Floozle, The Floppet...

:oops:

Maxxs_Mummy
10th July 2005, 12:37 PM
LMAO & I thought I was the only mad one hahahahaha :lol:

Cathy T
10th July 2005, 04:55 PM
Somehow Shelby became snickerdoodle or pumpkin. Sometimes...Miss Pudge!

Jake is just the Jakester.

Harry & Heidi's mom
10th July 2005, 05:11 PM
my neighbour's just got a new dog, a beddlington terrier i think, and it's called DAVE :lol:

rory
10th July 2005, 06:06 PM
Rory is Rorster, Rorschach, Rorrisimo, Rory-Bory, Rory-Balory....

Harry & Heidi's mom
10th July 2005, 08:35 PM
my daughter just asked me if we could call the pup Ty, after the nice man on "extreme makeover, home edition" ....

So much for cutting down the names, the possibilities are growing :lol:

Andrea&Diva´s mom
10th July 2005, 11:06 PM
here are some sides to help you find the right name on your puppy
:lol:

http://www.petrix.com/dognames/
http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/names/
http://www.doggynames.com/
http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/greek/articles.html

LoL good luck ;)

11th July 2005, 09:41 PM

Maxxs_Mummy
11th July 2005, 11:00 PM
We used to have a GSD called Teddy (a girl!) - my oldest who was about 3 when we got her said she looked like a Teddy bear and the name stuck. She went on to become his own personal teddy bear and protector & even let my youngest cut his 1st tooth on her ear :shock:

Sadly, we lost her suddenly at a very young age but I often wonder what she would have made of Maxx, I think she'd have adored him - she wanted to mother every animal & child she ever met :lol:

Harry & Heidi's mom
14th July 2005, 08:36 AM
I "think" we've finally agreed on a name for this little one......

Harry :D

Maxxs_Mummy
14th July 2005, 10:50 AM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I love the name Harry - and his arrival will be just after the release of the new Harry Potter book.....

Harry & Heidi's mom
14th July 2005, 07:31 PM
i know only 2 days until the new book icon_banana icon_banana

15th July 2005, 01:40 AM

Harry & Heidi's mom
15th July 2005, 08:00 AM
my friend said last night that i now need to complete the set....

a ruby called Ron.... :lol:
a Blenheim called Hermione
and a B/T called Draco or Albus....

icon_whistling... no plans to do this tho... icon_whistling

Maxxs_Mummy
15th July 2005, 11:41 PM
Hahaha I want a black and tan called Snape (only because i fancy Alan Rickman something rotten!). And yes, I also fancy a Blenheim called Harry ;)