PDA

View Full Version : Two puppy farm bitches in Limerick

Karlin
6th July 2005, 08:35 PM
These two girls need foster or homing in Ireland. If UK rescue wants to become involved, I could work to rehome Grace to the UK, who might have a harder time finding a home over here. Mitzi will likely find a home more easily (I am tempted!).

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com/law/crueltycases.htm

I have offered to take Mitzi in for foster when I return from the US on the 17th; I am guessing she will likely find a home before then though through LAW. I am trying not to think of adding a third cavalier though I have wanted a B&T! :p

Cathy T
6th July 2005, 09:31 PM
Reading these stories just breaks my heart! I just don't get how anyone can treat a living, breathing being like this. As far as those kids kicking puppies on the railroad tracks!! icon_furious

Karlin
6th July 2005, 10:30 PM
The people at LAW deal with some pretty grim stuff. There are some poor areas of town where the children can be horrific to animals -- just plain ignorance I think and you can imagine the lives the kids must lead if they take it out on animals. The pound in Limerick also does not work at all with rescues and has one of the highest kill rates in Ireland -- very few dogs that go in ever get reclaimed or rehomed. :cry:

I hope Grace can find a special home with someone. I think this is the condition that one of PatB's cavaliers had. Both appear to have had horrible lives and yet they are so friendly. Poor Mitzi with her nails growing back into her paw pads! icon_yikes :cry:

fuzzie bear
7th July 2005, 09:02 AM
God, I feel soooo sick...

If I was at home a bit more, I'd gladly take them in...

When I was talking to the ISPCA in Northern Ireland, they advised me that there are at least 54 puppy farms that they know about in Ireland... and that really scared me !

Maxxs_Mummy
7th July 2005, 08:55 PM
Oh those poor darling girls :cry: it really breaks my heart to think that anyone can get away with treating them like this :cry:

If only my hubby would let me get another.... Our house would be far too noisy for Grace though, with two teenagers and their mates always in and out :roll:

I really hope that some wonderful human will have a good enough heart to give them both the love and the care and attention in a wonderful home that they deserve :)

What really gets me is that the authorities must know what goes on at these evil breeding places yet they still licence them grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Karlin
8th July 2005, 09:11 PM
Well folks looks like I am going to try out Mitzi as number 3 here... icon_banana She is going to spend some more time with Grace in foster first as they are both adjusting to life around people and dogs right now. We shall see how it goes.

:lol:

I am told she is a total character, acts like a puppy though going on six, and wants to play and play and is full of affection. Loves kids and other dogs. They also say she is very pretty and not like the usual farm dogs; I suspect she may be a dog from a dceent breeder that ended up in this particular hell. Will need housetraining and the rest! And I don;t dare tell my mom. Will have to tell people I am 'just fostering'... :lol:

rory
9th July 2005, 02:28 AM
oh, I'm so excited for you and little Mitzi, Karlin! She's a doll!

Will you keep the name or change it? I see that they just gave her this name when they rescued her so I'm sure she's not attached to it yet.

Nicki
9th July 2005, 04:41 PM
Karlin I'm so excited for you. icon_banana icon_banana

Really hope it works out and that Mitzi can be yours forever. She's such a pretty girl and sounds a real character. I'm sure she will blossom with your love and care, and with having two wonderful Cavalier companions and of course lots of kitties too.

I couldn't anymore on the website, just read about the Cavaliers and I was a wreck :cry:

Really hope someone can take on Grace - she's had such a poor start.

Karlin
9th July 2005, 08:01 PM
I'm trying to be neutral on homing her as very often foster cavaliers haven't tolerated the cats and they were here first... the close quarters means I can;t really wait a lot of time for them all to adjust as it is very stressful to the cats. So I'll see. If nothing else I can foster her for a couple of weeks while she is placed. I realise in retrospect I was really lucky with Leo; he just accepted a house full of cats though he was wary of them for a long time!! :lol:

fuzzie bear
11th July 2005, 02:18 PM
Awww, thats so sweet... we always knew you were going to add a full colour cavalier to the addition... lol

I hope that she has a wonderful life with you and her two new friends....

Karlin
12th July 2005, 05:15 PM
I'm working to help home Grace. Just to an optimist about Mitzi I got a triple coupler for walks from petedge.com!! :lol: yep FB always liked the wholecolours and actually was originally interested in one as my first but they were harder to find and then there wasa litter with jaspar -- couldn;t resist him, the little hamster, at 3.5 weeks when I went to view the litter! :)

rory
16th July 2005, 05:13 AM
Any news on Mitzi??

Karlin
17th July 2005, 11:51 AM
I;m only just back from Calif today so will check and see what is happening with her during the week. I know they wanted to keep them together for a bit. I got my petedge.com three-way lead though for walking! Not sure if it will be of use -- may be too complicated. I'll bring her up here whenever it suits the LAW people and see how she does.

In the meantime I am delighted to say I homed the last two of my five kittens with two sets getting homed together, with is always especially nice. I have two sisters collected two this evening, and then I will be hanging on to the two longhairs til the end of the month when the new owners return from holidays.

rory
17th July 2005, 07:00 PM
Ah, so you got to enjoy our lovely 100 degree weather? ;)

Any luck on the house hunt?

Glad to hear your kitties all have homes! :D Keep us updated on Mitzi. Have you met her yet? I hope it all works out.

Karlin
17th July 2005, 07:43 PM
I was even in Davis as my folks were looking at potentially gettting a condo as an investment... we were out in the 'hobbit' area of west davis; funny I hadn;t been in there since right around when those were built in the early 80s. It is quite a nice development though don;t know if I'd want my address to have a street based on the Lord of the Rings!! :lol:

I saw three houses in Sac I really liked, around Wm Land Park area. Now have to go back and talk seriously to one of my editors here about whether I am going for a bit, or staying here (and they make me staff) then I'll work time away somehow.

The kittens' home nearly fell thru when I discovered one of the 'females' is actually a male!!

Karlin
20th July 2005, 11:33 AM
Latest update on these two girls. Looks like I will get Mitzi up here next week. Grace would love a home with another calm dog! Her eyes are doing much better though her eyesight will not improve, it seems. Wish I could take them together but I don't have the space for four!!

Hi Karlin
Just to fill you in on whats happening
Mitzy and grace are being fostered by one of our members. She has 7 dogs and 6
cats. Mitzy gets along fine with the dogs and no problem with the cats. Ciara
who is minding them lives in the country and the dogs adore the open spaces
running in the fields. Mitzy is a riot she just does circle in the fields
jumping with excitement i guess its after all the time being locked up.
Everyone who meets mitzy loves her.Shes just a real charachter she barks now
for attention.According to ciara she grows more beautiful by the hour!!
Ciara is a vet nurse and doesn't think graces vision has improved much the
infection has cleared up and her eyes look better. However Grace manages fine
she does depend a lot on the other dogs though especially mitzy. What we have
decided at the weekend when ciara is at home all day she will seperate grace
and mitzy and see how grace does. I feel and so does ciara if grace had a home
like we are looking for to go she will be ok. She needs a home with someone
around most of the time and if they had another placid dog that wouldn't mind
grace following them around also.

Mary
20th July 2005, 01:22 PM
Great news Karlin. I do so hope Grace finds just the right home also. She tugs at my heart.

Camilla Berntsson
21st July 2005, 01:55 PM
Oh, what cruel people there is!
I must say that I cried when reading this... icon_crying

I often watch the tv-series from England and US, about Animal police or Animal rescue, and my heart breaks everytime!

We do probably have the same problem here in Sweden, but there is so much hush-hush about it!
We have two different series about Animal Hospital, and they nerev show any dogs without homes, or neglected/beaten animals. I think that it's bad, because we all need to be aware of things, not just put our head in the sand!

I can't believe how cruel some can be! It makes me so angry!!!

Maxxs_Mummy
21st July 2005, 08:30 PM
IT makes us all angry Camilla. Breaks your heart how anyone can be so evil.

Grace would be no good here with Maxx as calm is the last thing i'd describe him as - he's like a six year old puppy - he even wears my friends 6mth old out icon_yikes

Karlin
22nd July 2005, 12:49 AM
Cavalier rescue in the UK has given me a name of a woman interested in Grace, which I have passed along to LAW... icon_crssedfingers that this goes well!

Anita
23rd July 2005, 09:13 AM
:D :D :D Thats wonderful news Karlin, hope for a happy ending and a lovely forever home for Grace.

Karlin
23rd July 2005, 12:14 PM
Well, a change for Grace again. They got a second optinion from a vet who is concerned about her eyes and has put her on steroid drops. They have decided to keep her fostered with the vet nurse and then will try to home closer to Limerick so they can keep tabs on her progress.

Meanwhile Mitzy is being spayed Tuesday then will come up to me once she heals and gets stitches out, probably after the following weekend.