• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello I'm new on line

hillyb

Hi

This site is fantastic - we were lucky enough to inherit a 2 year blenheim early this year and life hasn't been the same since. I have never had a CKC always jack russells who I also love - but Sam is the most affectionate adorable dog I have ever come across. I hate leaving him to come to work and end up going home for a visit at lunch time. I will be on maternity leave soon and as well being excited about the baby I am looking forward to more time with Sam. We have only one main problem and that is he wasn't house trained before he came to us and still pees regularly when we aren't looking - if anyone has any useful tips I would love to hear from you.

Over and out

H

Welcome! With a baby on the way you have the perfect dog! These guys are so great with kids.

Thanks

Thanks - its lovely to be on board with like minded CKC lovers - some of my friends think I've lost it over Sam as they are not as into dogs... He is great with my nieces and nephews so no worries there....

Chat soon

H

Hi and icon_welcome !!

Check out the recent threads on housetraining -- there's also a post about this in caring for your cavalier in the FAQ section. In general I recommend Shirlee Kalstone's book "How to Housetrain a Dog in 7 Days" -- it also discusses the older, not completely trained dog. Getting him housetrained will of course be a priority, I'd imagine! Usually what he needs is consistency and also some major praise (and a treat) every time he goes outside.

The easiets way to get the Kasltone book is to order it from your bookstore or Amazon almost always has it in.

icon_welcome to the board.

You must be looking forward to your new arrival. I have 2 children and Chloe is great with them and their friends. You couldn't have a better breed of dog to be part of your family. I hope the house training gets better soon and Karlins advise helps you.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the welcomes

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the welcomes - wish I could send you a photo of Sam but unfortunately don't have that facility - but I am very biased and think he is gorgeous and handsome - he has the brown spot on the top of his head and runs like a show dog.... We have had him for 7 months now and been to the vet 10 times - we only had him 3 months and I was enjoying taking him for walks in the morning and evening - one evening out of nowhere a big mongrel jumped on him and nearly killed him I was hysterical trying to get the dog off my poor baby - anyhow very long story short it was horrific - he had to have surgery and a drain - he was so brave and bounced back incredibly - I on the other hand was a bag of nerves and I'm now very careful about where I walk him and tend not to walk him on my own so much - I always bring a stick now too and when I see a big dog coming pick him immediately.........

Anyhow just wanted to share that with you - thanks again for all the welcomes...

Hilary

icon_yikes That is my nightmare, worrying about something like that happening. I am glad he is doing so well. I hate it when other dogs aren't under the control of their owner... I keep an eye out for larger dogs too. I find harnesses are good for walking then as it gives you something you can grab quickly if you need to lift them up too. Especially for wiggly puppies!

I know it was horrific - as he was so helpless and I was trying my best to get the other dog off him - the owner eventually arrived on the scene I know she got an awful fright too - I was roaring Sam was in shock and the next thing she walks off with her monster and leaves us - to end this horrible story she rang all the vets in our area the next day and tracked us down and paid the bill which was decent but never left her name - if I had my way the dog would have been put down as he is a danger to society ......... Sam does have a tendency to look like a fluffy rabbit as he is sparky and cute so now we are super aware of his vulnerability !!!! Chat again soon

Hilary

Hi Hilly and icon_welcome

Poor little {{{{{{{{Sam}}}}}}}} hope he is now OK and the experience hasn't terrified him of walks. Maxx has 3 times been attacked by horrible dogs :D I have each time managed to get them away before any real damage was done but he almost lost one of his gorgeous eyes to a vicious cat icon_yikes .

Hilly I really don't think you'd have anything to worry about with Sam and a new baby - I've never known a Cavalier yet who didn't like children :D . Saying that, Maxx tends to take sanctuary in my bedroom when my nephew's noisy toddlers arrive for the day :lol: He loves my friend's little baby though and always has to sniff him all over then lick his feet LOL The baby thinks this is hilarious as it tickles so Maxx does it all the more :lol:

Hello

What is it about having a cavalier - we met a lady the other day on the street with one the same as Sam we ended up chatting for about half an hour like old friends - it was great and lovely to chat with people with the same love for their animal as some of my friends look at me as if I have two heads sometimes.

Sam actually heads for the vet tomorrow for the snip we have been meaning to do it since we got him and now have it all booked and ready so I hope he won't be too down in the dumps tomorrow evening. I would love to have bred with him even once as he is so gorgeous however it is not to be.

Has anyone seen Courtney Cox from Friends in the magazines lately she has 2 CKC's Harley and Hopper and recently they were staying at the Ritz Carlton in the doggie suite - they are both gorgeous not as goregous as my fella (I am very biased).

Hope everyone well out there and all dogs in good form - they always are aren't they.........

Hilary & Sam in Co. Wicklow

Hilly

Welcome! :D Glad you found this board. I'm sure you'll find it very informative.

Back