• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi Everyone

Norah

Hi Everyone,
I'm Norah and am living in Co. Meath Ireland. I dont have any dogs at the moment but circumstances have changed for the better and now i am in a position to get a dog which is something I've wanted for a long time.

I have spent endless hours researching on the net and talking to peope who have CKCS's and have decided this is the dog for me!
Would anyone be able to let me know about any reputable breeders in Ireland (I'm willing to drive to most parts of the country!)

There's lots of CKCS's for sale i.e. in newspapers etc., but I would like to buy from an established/ reputable breeded especially since this will be my first!!!! I have contacted the IKC already.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking You
Norah

Hi Norah,

my sister is from Co. Meath too. Im also a new member. look forward to the chats. :)

icon_welcome Norah,

Bonnie's breeder is in Newbridge, Co. Kildare. He obviously wont have another litter yet but if you want his details, pm me.

Lorraine.

Thanks everyone

I've been looking for about 6 weeks now (but not in the right places) and cant wait much longer!!!
I'm very excited about getting this dog, it took weeks to convince my boyfriend to get one. He is mainly a cat lover (but also loves dogs), we had a kitten for almost a year who unfortunatly got knocked down outside the house recently. I cant go through the heartbreak again. I'm hoping that with a dog who wont be able to get out unless we take him/her out this wont happen. I know the dog wont live forever but it wont be out playing with the traffic!!!

Lorraine I'd love to get those details off you, the breeder may be able to let me know of anyone else who will have puppies soon.

Thanks a million

Norah

icon_welcome

I searched for 3 months before I found my breeder, and then waited for 5 more months before I got her...

Not the greatest cavalier, but as a pet she was adorable!

Good luck to you!

Welcome Nora!
I understand how hard the waiting is! Cavaliers are extra special and fairly rare compared to other breeds so unfortunately the waiting is part of the whole deal.

Have you also checked the Cavalier Connection Message Board? I also recommend a Yahoo! Group called Cavaliers Naturally. It has lots of breeders on it and you should have some luck there. You will have to join the group first, and it is an EXCELLENT list. I've learned tons about feeding and vaccinations and other health issues. It's primarily a list about raw feeding, but they are happy to discuss any sort of other Cav-related issues. I will go ahead and post right now to see if there are any breeders near you and I will let you know the results when I get them.

Good luck!

Thanks all

I went to see one tonight but unfortunatly it wasn't the right one for me. I did however get 2 more names of other breeders so it wasn't a wasted journey.

Very excited now that I've seen one. Oh my God they are tiny at 8 weeks old!!!! Didn't realise just how small they would be.

Thanks again for all the help.

Welcome to the board, Norah.

It is REALLY important to get a reputable breeder and NOT just one with IKC registered puppies. The registration alone doesn;t mean much (just as a driver's license gives no indication whether a driver is a good driver). I'm not sure where yoou were steered by the IKC, hopefully they had you call the breed club and ask to have the contact for the person who keeps track of the puppy register. You should NOT buy from a breeder who is not on their official list, mainly because plenty of backyard breeders and puppy farmers (who breed indiscriminately) get IKC registrations for their puppies. Good breeders list their litters with the club. Don;t trust recommendations for other breeders unless the original breeder came with a good recommendation from the club itself.

You at the very least want to ask what the heart history is for the breeder's dogs -- if they don't know, don't buy from them. Unfortunately very few Irish breeders breed follow the established guidelines for mitral valve disease (who can read more about this in the Health Issues section) but at the very least I'd want them to know the longevity of the sire and dam's lines, which is an indication of when they get heart disease (almost all cavaliers will ultimately die of congestive heart failure due to MVD so you want the longest-lived lines possible).

Do not buy from any breeder offering more than two breeds, and be sure to spend some time looking at poictures of puppies and adults so you get a good idea of whether your puppy actually looks like a cavalier -- yes, you do get some awful examples of the breed. Expect to pay at the very least, around euro450 for a puppy or higher. Do not ever buy a puppy out of the papers or Buy&Sell -- no reputable breeder needs to advertise in this way; many have waiting lists for puppies. So it's a matter of doing good research, being sure you are opting for a reputable breeder (a good indication is if they actually show their dogs), and being willing to wait for the right puppy. The need to get a puppy *now* is what creates a huge market for the puppy farmers and the backyard breeders -- but many if not most of those dogs will live short lives (due to early onset MVD -- maybe only living til 6 or 7) and have health problems good breeders breed carefully to minimise. If you go to the IKC website www.ikc.ie and click on Buying a Dog you will find the breed club contact details. :)

You can check on whether a breeder shows their digs by googling the name of the kennel (eg Moorfields) and seeing what comes up in show results. If nothing comes up, then call the breed club and ask if they know the name. If not, don't buy from them.

Thanks Karlin

I have my name on one waiting list but the puppies wont be for sale until sometime in November.

I have spoken to the woman who holds the registrar of breeders and she has been very helpful. There is a show on the 1st of october near Dublin Airport and I will be able to speak to breeders there (No puppies for sale) and will also be able to see what to look for when buying.

Thanks again
All advice greatly appreciated.
Norah

Norah,

Karlin speaks very wise words indeed (as she always does :D ) . I personally waited 18mths to find Maxx and then had to wait another 2 months before I could bring him home at 15 weeks.

If I had another I would definitely go back to the same breeder :D Good luck in your search :D

Back