• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leash leading

Moviedust

Cedar is 12 weeks old, and from the moment she was put on a leash for the first time, she always wants to carry it in her mouth when she's walking (this is a leash attached to a standard collar). She drops it when she's ready to do her business outside, and if she's playing about she forgets about it. It's only when she is walking beside someone that she holds it (unless of course she's naughty and chewing on it!). It looks like she's taking the human for a walk the way she holds it. She doesnt pull on it or anything. She just holds it in her mouth.

Anyone know why she might be doing this? Anyone know how I can get her to stop? (telling her "no" & "leave it" have not been successful.)

Well you could switch her to a harness (here on this board we have fallen in love with the Puppia harness :) -- read about them here: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ). That would move the lead to the top of her back where it is not easy for her to pick up and carry. Once she kind of 'forgets' how she used to do this she will probably stop.

Alternatively you could let her carry something else like a toy. I have seen many dogs who actually carry their folded lead, or a toy, while they go on walks. Obviously though you wouldn;t want her off lead, carrying her lead!

I'de recommend trying a harness; many vets consider a harness much better for small breeds anyway as their trachea can be damaged, and some of the neurologists working on syringomyelia are now recommending ALL cavaliers should really be on harnesses as the strain on the neck may contribute to the development of SM in dogs that had a mild form. So a harness is a nice investment for dog health and happiness all around! Plus the Puppias are so darn *cute* ... :)

I read the posts about the harnesses. If it prevents conditions from worsening, then certainly the are the way to go. I've also heard that, with the coats cavaliers have, that some harnesses (not the puppia ones, i wouldnt imagine) can get snagged in the fur.

Cedar is so tiny yet; She barely fits a collar! Plus, from what I've heard here, the harnesses are pretty expensive. With Cedar growing so quickly, she'd probably outgrow the harness. Are the puppia harnesses adjustable for size? I've seen several people at the boards have trouble sizing them.

I forgot she is still so little! I just got a little cat /puppy harness at the petshop, fairly cheap, for Jaspar and that lasted til he was about 6 months or so. I have always used harnesses of various types and none has ever caught on their coats. I don't recommend leaving them on when you aren't walking Cedar though -- they could get caught when a dog is playing and thay could rub off hair if they are wearing them constantly.

I used the step in harness then from www.petedge.com and those only cost about $5; I like those too and they are easy to put on and off. I used the medium for a 15 and 16.5lb cavalier but they would likely have fit in the small as well, at least the smaller fellow.

Back