• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"spoon feeding"

petitchien

Hi all,

I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced / is experiencing what I am..... basically I spoon feed Gizmo literally !!!

He eats his dinner off a fork and I wanted to make sure this is ok to continue (it is cute and even the next door neighbours have been in to see it in action as they couldn't believe it!)

And it's only his dinner that he does it with ....

I think it's a habit which we got in as a treat when he was younger but once he sees the fork he's jumping around you waiting for the food!!
I can't see anything wrong with continuing it as let's face it, it doesn't take very long and I'm sure kids would be much worse .... icon_whistling

So, any opinions???

It could become a problem if he ever has to stay with a friend or be boarded while you're on vacation. Do not expect other people to be willing to spoon feed your baby.

If I were you I would stop the spoon feeding cold turkey and get him back to eating on his own. He may act finickey for a day or two and not eat his dinner, but once he gets hungry enough I'm sure he will have no problem digging into his own bowl. Chester gets finicky sometimes, but if he doesn't eat from his bowl within 20 minutes I take it up, put it in the fridge and give it to him the next day. By the next day he is really hungry and won't be so finicky.

I know you love your baby, but spoon feeding is a bit too much pampering.

Hi,

Well I have to say that we've been really lucky with minders while we're on holidays as we've been 3 weeks away since we got him and there's a queue to mind him... although I am equally aware that this can change in a heartbeat!!
I see what you're saying though and when number 2 comes along this will not really be as feasible as it is now.. and I'm sure our minders won't be as willing to spoon feed two!!!

Will let you know how the cold turkey goes when we decide to start it ......... may be a while as dogs are quick learners and once hungry enough they will eat anyway!!

petitchien said:
Hi,

Well I have to say that we've been really lucky with minders while we're on holidays as we've been 3 weeks away since we got him and there's a queue to mind him... although I am equally aware that this can change in a heartbeat!!
I know what you mean about people begging to watch our babies. I have several friends that vie for a chance to watch Chester when I go out of town. I'm just so grateful that Chester is such a good house guest!
I see what you're saying though and when number 2 comes along this will not really be as feasible as it is now.. and I'm sure our minders won't be as willing to spoon feed two!!!
Some of your friends might be willing, but overall I think it will just be alot easier for everyone if the furbabies ate on their own. It's hard not to spoil them and I have been guilty of the hand feeding, but I decided to stop it in order to prevent future problems with finicky behavior.

Will let you know how the cold turkey goes when we decide to start it ......... may be a while as dogs are quick learners and once hungry enough they will eat anyway!!
Once they go without food for a day or even two at the most I'm sure they will be eagerly gobbling down from their bowls. It will be hard to take the bowls away if they are not eating, but your persistence will pay off and the furbabies will none the worse for wear. They'll be a little hungry, but their empty tummies will quickly convince them thay being finicky is not the best option.

Best of luck to you!

-Monica and Chester

Hiya,

Who wouldn't be queuing up to mind Chester !!! What a doll ....

Will let you know how it goes..... I'm sure Gizmo will adapt quickly .. he loves his food !!! The furball trash can ...... icon_banana

LMAO I love it, a forkfed Cavalier! Actually, Maxx will eat nicely off a fork too but we make him eat out of a dish!

Hi all,

Well with the move to a new house and not having alot of time to sit and spoon Gizmo anymore we just put it in the bowl and he eats out of it now !! that was after a couple of days where he'd look forlorn as if we had forgotten him or why were we punishing him , making him eat from a bowl!!!!

I think the odd time I'd like to still spoon feed him as it's just so cute .....

I missed this thread first time around! I agree I'd be really cautious about encouraging this. They can be incredibly manipulative and can start to play all sorts of games with their food/becaome problem eaters with what starts out as a little game or special treatment. It must be one of the most common behaviour problem questions that comes up on cavalier boards and lists.

Monica's right, this can cause difficulties down the line in ways you don;t now foresee so it's good he's been shifted to his bowl. What is cute in a new dog or puppy to us, quickly becomes un-cute for a friend or neighbour or kennel owner who would have to hand feed a dog on a fork or a spoon while minding him (and your friends may not be comfortable telling this straight to you; I don't know if I'd be able to be that blunt if I wasn't happy doing something like that), much less a vet if the dog needs to be hospitalised (and may cause the dog to refuse food at just the time he most desperately needs it, while ill). Best thing is, give Gizmo the very occasional treat on a spoon or fork for fun if you'd like-- a little bit of chicken or a dog biscuit or whatever, but don't ever let him associate his regular meal with being fed in this way. It's great that you were able to get him to switch back to a bowl fairly easy.

Hi Karlin,

Thanks for the info ...this is something that I find especially good about this board .... Gizmo is eating well from the bowl and there wasn't an issue with changing over which is good! Will only do the very odd treat, as you suggest, in the old way..... I have to say that I never even thought of how this would impact if he ever had to be hospidalised....good catch ....
As for friends though - with our group I can happily say that we always have and shall continue to be brutally honest with each other .. can prove to be interesting at times !!!

I had to spoon feed billy when I first got him, But I think that might have been because he was a rescue dog from battersea where he often had to go without because a bigger dog he shared a kennel with would push him away all the time. and he tought maybe the same would happen here but he soon realised that the food was all for him and noone else now he just gobbles it down so quick and often tells us it's time for dinner.

billys mum,

I'm glad you hear your billy is doing better. I really, really admire everyone who does rescue work and I wish you the best of luck and happiness with your furbabies!

Keep up the wonderful work!

Back