• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do dogs get mad?

MGMom

Just an in-your-opinion type question:

My breeder said that dogs do not get angry or mad at owners. He says they only live in the moment and don't think about consequences. Normally, I believe my breeder is a fount of wisdom, but I think I have to disagree with him on this one. I have seen Scarlett act out just like a spoiled child when she is mad at one of us. When my mother chided Scarlett for chewing on the blinds, she acted as if she had to go out to potty then ran out of the fence and down the road with my poor mother chasing behind calling her name. Although I am sure this was a comedic sight, no one can tell me that my puppy was not mad and trying to get away from the angry older lady who had fussed at her!

What do you think?

I think your breeder is wrong too. Maxx can sulk for England :roll:

I remember when he had a 'bad haircut' and he lay facing the wall for a week and didn't want to know any of us :lol:

They can also get depressed and sad too. In fact, I think dogs have the widest range of emotions of all the animal kingdom.

I agree with Donna, dogs seem to show a lot of emotions. Abbey can seem pouty and mad, she'll also act cold towards me when I reprimand her. She was begging for popcorn the other night and after telling her no, she huffed, got off the couch and moved to the chair across from me. :lol:

Ohhhh boy can Isabella get an attitude when she wants to.

Your breeder is not right on this one I'm afraid.

I completely agree! Darby can definitely throw her little pint-sized attitude around! I work at a Veterinary School, at the teaching hospital there... without question, dogs show a wide range of emotions, from sadness and depression, to frustration and anger at their owners. Sometimes, it can be almost comical when a client comes to visit their beloved pup after several days in the hospital, and the dog sulks and wants nothing to do with them! It's almost like they're saying "How could you leave me in a place like this - where I am being poked, proded, and having my bum violated on a daily basis?!? See if I give YOU any love!" :lol:

Thank you! I feel very validated! :D Scarlett will actually GROWL at me when I ignore her requests. This is not a growl of aggression; it is a growl of sheer annoyance! If she wants in my lap when I am grading papers, she will sit there and GROWL at me. If that doesn't work, she vents by shredding toilet paper in the bathroom! My breeder is very wise, but I know my dog gets mad! LOL

MGMom said:
Scarlett will actually GROWL at me when I ignore her requests. This is not a growl of aggression; it is a growl of sheer annoyance! If she wants in my lap when I am grading papers, she will sit there and GROWL at me.

Jake does this!!! It's not a mean growl...it's a low growl that says "hey, I'm down here...give me attention" either that or he'll slap his paw on me to get my attention.

Maxx makes his growly noise when he wants attention from one of us or he wants to play. He hasn't got an aggressive bone in his body and is a real wimp so it sounds really funny to hear him grumbling - he sounds like one of those growly teddies LOL

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Maxx makes his growly noise when he wants attention from one of us or he wants to play. He hasn't got an aggressive bone in his body and is a real wimp so it sounds really funny to hear him grumbling - he sounds like one of those growly teddies LOL
Chester does the EXACT same thing! I think he's pretending to be a tough guy but if I chide him for the growling he runs up and licks whatever body part of mine is within reach (foot, hand, leg...) as if he's saying "I'm sorry Mommy!"

Silly furbaby.

They are so much alike! I will say to Scarlett, " Don't you growl at me, little missy, " and she will start giving me kisses as if to say, " I was just playing!"

i shouted at jasmine the other day and and her bottom lip dropped and her eyes looked so sad and she stuck her tail really tight between her legs and she would not let me take it out.
her face was too cute for words, but she soon forgot her sulk when i wnet to get her some food.
and i guess her being a girl makes her even more prone to huffiness,cause us women are experts at it :lol:

I agree with you

Our girl Gloria, sulks whenever she doesn't get what she wants.

She plays the piano for treats, some times so often I have to close the keyboard cover.

However, when she plays and plays and doesn't get her treat she gets very disturbed and starts that little growl. At that time I'll usually take to to the kitchen and reward her. If she doesn't get her reward she will hold a grudge for hours.

a piano playing cavalier....now that really makes me laugh i would love to see that.....if you got her some lessons maybe you could have a superstar in the family? :)

Back