20th November 2005, 05:04 AM
any one seen all the discussions on other forums regarding Greenies.
Seems there have been cases where they block the digestive system and require surgery to remove. They do not completely decompose in the stomach
I for one have stopped using them
20th November 2005, 10:07 PM
Well... there have been these kinds of discussions ever since I first heard of greenies -- one post went around about an elderly chihuahua dying from eating a greenie, about a year ago. However the dog had been fed a Greenie way too large for the breed and it died from a heart attack suffered under stress if I recall, not directly the Greenie.
I guess my own feelings are that dogs die every year from choking on regular old kibble, swallowed the wrong way. Also from eating pebbles, socks, rawhides, chewing sticks, bone splinters etc. I feed raw and understand the potential risks of feeding bones but feel the benefits outweight the risks. I do give greenies on occasion -- both mine chew them down gradually. If I had a gulper or a dog that eats chunks then I wouldn't feed them.
I think it all becomes dependent on one's own comfort level. I haven;t seen enough written on bad points of Greenies to feel uncomfortable about feeding them. I was offered one link to a story but the story was no longer at the link provided so I never saw any of the actual examples of what happened to comment any further.
21st November 2005, 03:13 AM
Just gotta watch them. Shelby is a gulper but has never had a problem with greenies (other than chunks of greenie in her poop :? ). I give them once or twice a week max and watch them while they are eating them.
21st November 2005, 10:53 AM
I never feed Harvey or Chloe any treats as they seam to have dicky tummies and seem to thrive on there complete food anyway but for those who do feed greenies as treets this is what i found about them.......................................A KIRO 7 Consumer Investigation exposes a potentially deadly problem involving one of the most popular dog treats on the market.
Millions of dogs chew on the treats every day, and there's a good chance your pooch is one of them.
Consumer Investigator Wayne Havrelly discovered the danger.
These dog treats are called "Greenies." They're sold in stores everywhere.
But our investigation found Greenies and products like them can pose a real danger to dogs.
Matthew Balkman of Issaquah uses cheese to reward his dog "Beau."
He used to use Greenies, a doggie treat designed to clean teeth and freshen doggie breath.
"The dogs do like 'em. They're tasty; he liked eating them," Balkman said.
But last May, Beau acted started acting sluggish after eating one.
"He wasn't eating at all," Balkman said. "I took him to the vet, the vet monitored him for a day and said there was something obstructing his bowel, 'We need to go in and operate.'"
Dr. Jayne Jensen performed the operation and removed a large green lump from Beau's intestine.
"She handed it to me, asked me if I knew what this is, and I said, 'Yes, that's a Greenie,'" Balkman said.
The package says Greenies are "100 percent edible" but a company spokeswoman told us they are "85 percent digestible."
"That was not 85 percent digestible," Jensen said. "That was not digestible."
Constance Odle's dog Berkley is recovering from the same emergency surgery. But instead of a Greenie, a similar product was blocking the dogs intestine.
"At first, I thought he ate a piece of a toy and when the vet told me what it was, I felt terrible guilt because I was the one who gave it to him," Odle said.
MORE ON THIS STORY
Berkley is the latest of several dogs Dr. Jennifer McBride has operated on after eating teeth cleaning products, mostly Greenies.
"We will see things in abdomens that will dissolve like bones and over time, they will dissolve and go away. But these are mostly indisolvable, so they tend to get stuck more often," McBride said.
Our investigation discovered the results are sometimes fatal.
"I tried to revive her," said Gilbert Wright.
Wright lost his prized show dog, "Pompey of the Desert" after feeding him a petite size greenies treat. He feels an overwhelming sense of guilt.
"And I will feel that ways for the rest of my life!" Wright said.
During our investigation we tracked down nine people who claim their dogs died after eating greenies. We passed that information on to the company.
A warning on the Greenies label says to make sure you're giving the right size Greenie for your breed of dog. It also cautions you to "monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed".
"They don't chew. They don't even have the muscles to chew. I mean, we chew, we do that. Dogs don't do that," said Jensen.
"They also say on their Web site to avoid gulping or sloppy eating but heck people can't even train their children not to do that," said Gilbert Wright.
Company officials with Greenies declined our request for an on-camera interview.
They sent us a statement expressing sadness over all the dogs in our investigation. They say "millions of Greenies are sold and enjoyed by dogs, every week without incident."
And "though injurious incidents are rare, more often than not, the pet is not fed according to our feeding directions."
Gilbert Wright just got a new Pompey, but his heart will always be with the show champion original who won countless awards for agility.
Beau has recovered from surgery and Mathew Balkman feels lucky.
"I'm saddened for the people that have actually lost their pets because we came very close."
Vets say nearly all dog treats, chews and toys can make your pets sick.
They say it's important to keep a close eye on them.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.