• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rory is having SM surgery this Friday...

rory

Despite my best efforts to control this disease, Rory continues to progress. Scratching, biting feet, twisting, etc. all with increased frequency.

So I decided to schedule the surgery, as I feel it is his last chance to beat this disease. He continues to progress so it's either do the surgery (despite the less than ideal statistics for success) or watch him deteriorate until he starts having screaming "episodes" and can't walk and his quality of life is so poor that I have to put him to sleep. I had so hoped he'd be one of the lucky ones who never progress past an occasional scratch, but it seems we are not so lucky. I know there's a good chance for recurrence of the symptoms, but I'm going into this with my eyes open. And if I didn't do the surgery, I'd always wonder "what if...." So, surgery it is.

I had scheduled it for right after Christmas, so he could enjoy the hoolidays with my family and all the family dogs, but ever since I scheduled the appt last week, he has been getting worse much faster. I felt I was seeing something funny going on with his back legs and had the vet check his reflexes and he is definitely weak and showing decreased reflexes on his back legs - especially his right. That was it. I called the neurologist and asked how fast we could get him in. The surgery is scheduled for this friday, the day after Thanksgiving.
Cancelled all other plans and booked flights up to Seattle for Rory, myself and my husband. Dr. Harrington will perform the surgery on Friday, 10am.

Please think good thoughts for my little boy, and a little strength for me. Thank you,
rory's mom.

Good luck Rory. Thoughts and prayers for you and your mom. We will be waiting for updates on your recovery.

A hard decision but I think, for you and for Rory, the right one. Remember that the statistics are that only about a fifth to a fourth of dogs have any recurrence of symptoms and progression of SM after surgery, according to both Dr Curtis Dewey and Dr Clare Rusbridge, so he has a great chance of a much more comfortable future.

You have my full support as always. You made the right decision, given his age and how everything has progressed these past few months. Stay positive, and I'll be thinking of you both on Friday.

Good luck with your finals today, too, I'm sure you'll feel better once those are out of the way.

XOXO
Jen

I dont know what to say~ Please know that you'll all be in our thoughts here, and we wish you a safe trip and a quick recovery for Rory.

Best of luck, my dear. I think you've made the right decision. You will be in my thoughts and prayers this week. Please keep me updated...

As I told you last Friday, if anybody can make it though this, it's Rory. He has the biggest heart on the planet. And if anybody deserves to make it though this with flying colors, it's you two. As I have said time and time again, Rory is so incredibly lucky to have a mom like you. Take care, sweetie... please call me if there is ANYTHING that I can do for you...

Hi Kendall
I am so sorry, this must of been a very hard decision for you but I
am sure the right one.
Rory is one in a million and he is very lucky to have such a educated
mommy. Your love shines for him as his does for you, I will pray
for you both.
Rory has a beautiful personality Kendall such as yourself.
We will be thinking of you both, please keep us posted.

Kendall,

My thoughts are with you and Rory for this Friday (and for the recovery period afterwards) ..... He's young and you're doing the right thing for you guys and your quality of life .....

Here's to a great Christmas season for you + Rory ......

Please let us know how he gets on ...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx

All fingers and paws crossed for you and Rory. Sounds like you are doing everything possible for the little guy. Know we are all pulling for you two.

JaneB

Big hugs and positive thoughts for you all today. Hope Rory soon recovers from his surgery. SM is an evil disease that our babies most certainly do not deserve.

icon_heartthrob xxxx icon_flowers

Rory
We are all thinking of you today.
Praying for you, and Mommy & Daddy.
You are a very special boy and I am sure I can speak for most,
We have all grown to love you.
Love
Linda & Dudley In Toronto

Back