• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog registries in the US ... UKC?

LindaK

I have read that the only two legitimate registries in the US that recognize the Cavalier breed are AKC and CKCSC. Is this really correct? What about the United Kennel Club? Should I beware of buying a UKC puppy?

Yep, UKC is a bogus registry. I am computer challenged :) and don't know how to link, but if you go on this list, near the end of the main page to "Buying and Preparing for a Cavalier", then to "Puppy Mill/Puppy Farm Bogus Registries", there is a listing of the bogus registries.

From what I have seen, I swear a person could send a photo of a poodle and get it registered as a Cavalier at some of these registries! All these bogus registries are interested in is the registration fee. Stick with the AKC or CKCSC registered dogs.

This is the link:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=216

I think there is legitimacy about the United Kennel Club but not about the United Kennel Club International and other "united" clubs that mimic the UKC. But *I would not go for a puppy with this UKC registration*. People primarily register with UKC for the obedience and agility events and so on. You'd really have to wonder at a breeder only registering puppies with the UKC.

These are the 'uniteds' to watch out for:

<<UABR - United All Breed Registry

UAKC - United American Kennel Club

UCI - United Kennel Club International

UKC - Universal Kennel Club (do not confuse with United Kennel Club)

USKC - US Kennel Club>>

Any good cavalier breeder would ONLY be registered with the approrpiate national registry outside the US, or with the AKC or CKCSC in the US. Even then such regsitrations are NOT a guarantee of a good breeder. It simply means they had the avbility to get their dogs registered with the right registries. You need to thoroughly research the breeder. I do this by checking OFA lists for longevity, good hearts etc; to see what dogs are behind the kennel name; check the online databases to see where their dogs show up and if good breeders work with them; I google to see if the kennel name is even known (eg showing up on show schedules and winner lists); get recommendations, ask to see originals of health certs, and so on.

OOPS! Read that one too fast. Just got through talking to someone a couple days ago about UKCI and had that on my brain. Thanks for clearing that up Karlin.

Bruce, they are so confusing. As far as I understand, the United Kennel Club is considered ok, and people register with them to be involved in their events, but not really for puppy registrations. Personally, I would only go for well-researched breeders with the AKC or CKCSC registration in the US. :) Most of the bogus registries have no events, nothing like that associated with them; some of them that do also register absolutely anything including the cross of the week :roll: and I would guess a tiny few of them ONLY do events in order to legitimise their 'registry' for the benefit of the puppy mills and backyard breeders and maybe make some money off those who own a pugaloo or similar, who now feel they belong to a real registry and 'club'.

I initiated this thread after my purchase. It's too late for me. I had already bought a UKC registered puppy. United Kennel Club.

He's beautiful, and I love him. I've wanted a cavalier for a very long time. Money's been an issue though. I found this little dog on the Internet, and he was UKC registered and affordable.

I didn't understand the difference between AKC and UKC. UKC is second only to AKC in the US, I know . . . so it's very confusing, even if you do the research. The United Kennel Club is legitimate, everyone says, but it seems AKC and UKC have very different agendas. I thought a dog registry was a dog registry, and that they all were concerned with pedigrees. UKC will supply me with a pedigree though, if I decide to apply.

If I had it to do over . . . given my financial circumstances, I might wait for a rescue dog. But I don't know. I have Chester now, and there's no turning back. I love him.

I wish I had started this thread before I bought my Chester . . . But I didn't. Maybe someone else will benefit.

:)

Back