PDA

View Full Version : The whites of his eyes

LindaK
26th January 2006, 01:42 AM
The whites of Chester's eyes are kind of pinkish, not really white at all. I noticed it the day I got him (two weeks ago,) and they're still just as pink.

He's seen the vet, but I didn't think to ask about it when we were there.

Am I being silly to worry? Should I call the vet again?

rory
26th January 2006, 02:07 AM
Are his eyes bothering him?? Do they seem itchy or irritating? Any discharge?

LindaK
26th January 2006, 02:20 AM
No, they don't seem to be bothering him, but yes, there is a discharge. I thought the discharge was the normal cavalier thing. I've been wiping his face every day with a damp washcloth, hoping to keep any discoloration away.

rory
26th January 2006, 02:29 AM
Yes - eye discharge can be common in Cavs. Reddish staining discharge is normal (and annoying)!

But any greenish discharge or yellow discharge may indicate infection. It may just be the normal color of his sclera (the white). Not all have bright white scleras. There are blood vessels that normally run there that may alarm you if you're not aware that they're normal. Shouldn't look terribly "blood shot", but there is some normal redness and capillaries.

rory
26th January 2006, 02:30 AM
Here is some info including a picture:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_eyes.asp

LindaK
26th January 2006, 12:02 PM
Thank you! I guess I won't worry too much, but I will ask the vet next time.

WoodHaven
26th January 2006, 03:42 PM
How old is Chester?

sramirez
26th January 2006, 07:57 PM
Make sure the vet does a teardrop test - my Sophie is on daily eye medicaiton for Dry Eye Syndrome. She is an 8 year old 'tho and had the symptoms when she came to live with us last year.

Sheri

LindaK
26th January 2006, 10:37 PM
Chester's 5 months old.