Diet

Canine nutrition

1. That brings us up to date!

All the blog entries prior to this date have been copied across from the old blogging spot. That brings us up to date, so here is where we currently are at.

Obedience Training

Anybody who had read my earlier blog entries would know that I had planned to have Sonny & Beau going through obedience training together. Beau's training got put on hold until Sonny went through beginners, and then in Class I I linked them up together. It was fun and I think with 2 dogs ...
    Categories
    Diet , Obedience Training
  2. 22nd July 2007 - BARFing Progress

It has been quite a while since I have posted any progress on the dog’s diet (BARF). They have now been on this diet for several months and I am extremely pleased with how it all has gone. The dogs love it too and Sonny who we adopted and was a fussy eater now prances around the kitchen when it is meal time.

I have a great routine now for preparing 2 weeks worth of food and this only takes me 45 minutes.

Because 60% of the meal consists of raw meaty bones, this part
    Categories
    Diet
  3. 27th May 2007 - We're BARFing experts now

Well I have been entering the daily meals here long enough I think. Anybody who is following should have a reasonably good idea of what kinds of foods have been fed.

One question that often comes up for people is how much to feed when you are feeding home cooked, or home prepared BARF (bones & raw foods).

Basically you feed from 2% - 4% of your dogs ideal body weight. However each dog is unique so you just use this as a starting point & then you adjust accordingly.
    Categories
    Diet
  4. 11th May 2007 - Supplements

I've been a bit resistant about using supplement. My thinking has always been that surely if a wide range of foods are fed then supplements should not be required. However, just about every book I've read and just about every emailing list I've been on all suggest at least some supplements. Some are very heavy handed, while other have a light touch. I do try to keep an open mind & not remain entrenched in my own ideas, but this has been sort of the last Bastion for me.

So, Billinghurst
    Categories
    Diet
  5. 11th May 2007 - BARF

BARF - It sounds horrible doesn't it! Like losing your lunch. But it stands for "bones and raw foods"... well most of the time. I think in recent times it can also have some high brow meaning something along the lines of biologically accurate something or other, but I like the bones & raw foods meaning.

So having finished reading Billinghurst's book yesterday I decided to give this BARF a go, so we jumped in, boots & all. In truth we've been doing a sort of BARF sometimes
    Categories
    Diet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast