JBH

What Dosage do you give of Lyrica for your SM Syringomyellia dog?

Rate this Entry
Hi I'm switching from 100mg Gabapetin to Lyrica and my Vet was going to use the lowest dose of 20MG 2x a day versus the 100MG Gabapentin 3x day.

Any suggestions?

JBH

Submit "What Dosage do you give of Lyrica for your SM Syringomyellia dog?" to Digg Submit "What Dosage do you give of Lyrica for your SM Syringomyellia dog?" to del.icio.us Submit "What Dosage do you give of Lyrica for your SM Syringomyellia dog?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What Dosage do you give of Lyrica for your SM Syringomyellia dog?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi -- you might want to post this question to the SM forum on the board rather than as a blog post (not sure you realised this is up on your blog and not the board? ). You will get a lot more answers on the general board. But in general -- it is a good idea to start at that dose -- the minimum starting dose -- and see how it works; you can raise it as needed. Most dogs will probably end up on a higher dose depending on weight. I'd also note that only 100mg 3x is a fairly low dose of gabapentin. Many dogs are on 200mg or even 300mg 3x before trying a switch to Lyrica as it is far more expensive. But it is also a smaller dose and only twice daily and works better for many dogs.
    I have just switched from two gabapentin every eight hours to Lyrica twice a day.

According to Clare Rusbridge's report on Tommy the dose is 5mg/kg twice daily and she advised that I started with 50mg, but as Tommy is a large dog ( 11.8kg ) she felt that would not be enough to control his symptoms.
    She suggested that as long as he did not seem to be too sedated I should get him on to 75mg x 2 daily as quickly as possible.

His first 50mg dose had no sedative effect so I increased the second to 75mg and at the moment that seems to be working fine for him.