The rear end rescue blog - an anal gland surgery diary

Facts before surgery

Rate this Entry
Date of surgery: 31st of January 2012.

Besides all the regular checks at the vet, there have been 2-3 severe infections for both Molly and Éowyn. Both had the last time a huge abscess, and both the vets we have had, have recommended surgery. We wanted to wait, mainly because of two worries: What if they become incontinent afterwards? And what if they don’t survive the operation? The vets convinced us that it is a really small risk; and to calm myself down, I decided to write a blog to follow their surgery and – hopeful – recovery.

Molly
Female Ruby, born 30-09-2006. Weight: 8.2 kg/18 lbs.
April 2009: Infection with 10 days of antibiotics + wearing cone. Two vet visits (first and check-up).
Winter 2010: Infection with 10 days of antibiotics + wearing cone. Two vet visits (first and check-up).
April 2011: Infection with 14 days of antibiotics and pain killers. She had also developed a huge abscess, which caused her a lot of pain, until it burst and then healed. Four vet visits (first acute at vet hospital; then check-up the day after at her normal vet, then the abscess burst, and we had to prolong the antibiotics, and finally the last check-up).
September 2011: Ordinary vet check; had her anal glands expressed there, too.
January 2012: Precautionary check-up, to make sure she was fine, before we put her in the dog pension for our vacation. There was a lot to express out, and it had been a matter of days/weeks before another infection had developed. The vet and I finally made the decision for surgery.

Éowyn
Female Blenheim, born 21-10-2008. Weight: 7.2 kg/15.8 lbs.
July 2010: Infection with 10 days of antibiotics + wearing cone. Three vet visits (first and check-up).
October 2011: Ordinary vet check; had her anal glands expressed there, too.
November 2011: Infection with 14 days of antibiotics and pain killers. She had also developed a huge abscess, and as she is a robust little girl, she doesn’t complain, until she is in severe pain. When I took her to the vet hospital (a Sunday noon), he got so concerned that he had to give her anaesthetics without having time to call in a nurse. I brought her home afterwards, and she woke up at home. It was a really horrible experience. Four vet visits (first acute at vet hospital; then check-up the day after at her normal vet, then then another check-up, but she hadn’t healed enough, and we had to prolong the antibiotics, and finally the last check-up).
January 2012: Precautionary check-up, for same reasons as Molly’s. There was some to express, but not as much as Molly. However, after the last experience, the vet told me it would be a recurring problem at least once a year, and we decided to have her operated, too.

Submit "Facts before surgery" to Digg Submit "Facts before surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Facts before surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Facts before surgery" to Google

Comments