• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Syringomyelia symposium

So very heartening

I do not pretend to be a good note taker, if I have got anything wrong I am more than willing to correct these notes.

I will just say how heartening I found two meetings that I attended last week

The KC at their Q & A evening at Exeter was promoting their proposed Breed Mate scheme as the solution to all ills. The whole feel of the evening was different, they had stopped being defensive and denying there were health problems in pure bred dogs. They had stopped making excuses, at least on that particular evening, and were talking about solutions, and the audience of breeders on the whole were accepting of the idea that breeding practices must change

Bill Lambert told me by 2011 they would have a requirement that ABS breeders must take the results of health testing into account when breeding their dogs.

The Griffon Symposium sent me home with a smile on my face. Clare gave a very interesting and informative talk as usual, despite a poorly voice, and gave the news that the Canadian geneticists are putting all of their resources into identifying the gene at this point (and it is a race to the finish line) which is just so encouraging.

I did not take any notes on Clare' talk. There were others there that I thought were doing that, and of course it was a Griffon Seminar, but I did jot down quite a few notes on Jeff Sampson's talk.

..."Inbreeding is an issue"......" Linebreeding is inbreeding"..... "Dog breeds are De Facto like species ( of animals ) because of closed populations and many would be considered endangered species by WWF"

Effective Population Size for a variety of breeds chosen by Imperial College and using the KC database...........

Akita - 45
Boxer - 45
Bulldog 48
chow chow - 50
Rough collie - 33
Golden Ret - 67
GSD - 76
Labrador - 114
ESS -72

The WWF considers under 100 EPS means a species is endangered.
( I understand Cavaliers EPS is somewhere around 65-70 )

Popular Sires......."Fewer than 20% of dogs become parents in their own right, 80% of genetic variation lost each generation"........ "If not addressed will be calamitous for many breeds"......... "sooner or later breeds will lose fertility through breeding depression"...... "We must manage this risk and that inevitably means changing breeding practices"..............."If we don't do anything there is a guarantee that breeds will disappear"

He said how some overseas populations could be a source of some fresh genetic material as they would have developed in different ways and would be a different subset of population ( I doubt whether that is particularly true of cavaliers when so many UK stud dogs have recently been imported worldwide, but I do wonder if some battery farmed dogs may not be free of SM? )

Jeff described how 100 pairs of mice had been bred brother to sister for generations. 90% became infertile and died out. Less than 10% were still okay.

He then went on to give a very enthusiastic presentation of Breed Mate, or is it Mate Select? ( I have written both two names down and I am not sure if there is a difference or they are one and the same thing?)

This, as I understood it, is a scheme which will consider not only the health of the puppies but also the impact of the proposed mating on the breed population. It is proposed that it will automatically incorporate health information from official KC/BVA schemes, information from DNA tests will be added by the end of the year and health information from Club schemes, and health information fed in by owners or breeders ( with vet verification ) will also eventually be added.
Jeff said he hopes it will be no more than 12 months before breeders can input health information via KC website.
All this health test information will "sit beside" the name of a particular dog or bitch together with the other registered details.

Someone wishing to mate their bitch would be able chose likely stud dogs, submit 3-4 names and receive back a report which will show 'traffic lights' that indicate how suitable each dog will be for various categories.

This information will be on an open register, so puppy buyers will be encouraged, by information on the KC website, to go and check if there are any red traffic lights before they buy a puppy from any mating. They would only need the full name of the parents to access this information on the KC website.

At some point there was a mention of encouraging good breeders to join the ABS, so there would, in effect, be a move back to a two tier system of registration. Jeff said the KC like to start with voluntary schemes and the ABS is the route to start, but I got the impression that ABS breeders would definitely be expected, if not actually required, to use this system.
Of course this is the Kennel Club speaking and what they say & what they do can sometimes be very different.

The first release of Mate Select information, which will be the inbreeding coefficient for puppies only, for any breeder of any breed, will be at the end of this year and at Crufts 2011 they will have terminals for breeders to try out the scheme.
The health info. will be added later.

He then went on to EBVs that are for complex diseases such as HD, where there is a mixture of inherited & environmental causes.. The environmental
components are removed. This has proved to be more successful with Labradors (I think he meant than with CKCS) because of the amount of information they already have stored. They have done EBVs for five breeds with HD.

Only 20% of breeders register more than 5 litters a year

SM in CKCS IS a serious problem - Jeff Sampson had heard 60% even 80% of the breed were affected.

A last quote........." In the past we had been reactive, waiting for breed clubs to approach the KC, we are now being proactive and approaching the breed clubs for health information"

Hi Margaret

I, too, was somewhat encouraged by those two meetings, but as you've already indicated, sometimes what the KC say and do can be different things.

It will be a step forward that breeders of all breeds will be able to check on the impact on genetic diversity of a proposed mating. Hopefully this will lead to less emphasis on particular 'good looking' dogs. The figure of 80% loss of genes within a gene pool is frightening to think about.

I feel less confident about EBVs based on Health because this can only be as good as the data that has been fed in. Look how long it has taken to collect health data on Cavaliers just for SM, and after two years the AHT are still not confident enough to allow the program to be used officially. Think of all the dog breeds and all the genetic diseases that they have.

Also, health screening costs money and so long as the schemes are voluntary, many breeders wont bother. It is then left to the puppy buyers to do the research to enable them to ask the right questions and understand the way EBVs work themselves. I did ask the question and got a positive answer from Jeff Sampson, 'Will puppy buyers be able to enter the sire and dam's names themselves and get the EBV scores?' An unequivocal 'Yes'. Was I dreaming?

Labradors will be the first breed to benefit from Hip Dysplasia EBVs, but I hope Cavaliers will be next.

As for the SM DNA research, they are so close now to finding the gene/genes for SM. Held back by the lack of MRI evidence of older SM free dogs to use as a control.

Something Margaret didn't mention is that Jeff Sampson/KC did not rule out an outcross program for breeds which are in very serious trouble, but thought that the solution for most breeds could be found within their existing gene pool.

Carol

Carol

Syringomyelia Symposium

SM in CKCS IS a serious problem - Jeff Sampson had heard 60% even 80% of the breed were affected.

A last quote........." In the past we had been reactive, waiting for breed clubs to approach the KC, we are now being proactive and approaching the breed clubs for health information"

SYRINGOMYELIA SYMPOSIUM

Having read Margaret's Post that Dr J.Sampson mentioned that SM in CKCS is a Serious Problem,also mentioned in other Posts, surely no-one can doubt this any longer.

Also Carol's Post, this is what I have got into Grief for saying for many years,I do so agree with Carol, we Cavalier Pet Owners, do not care about what a Cavalier looks like,whether they are going to win in the Show Ring, only want our Cherished Cavalier to have the Chance of a Healthy ,Long Life.

Has the Show Scene been the Ruination of many Dogs Health Wise?

Bet

I had read elsewhere, in a report by Ruth Mayer, that during a question-and-answer session at the symposium, Dr. Rusbridge said that the location of a microchip could interfere with MRI scans of the dog's spinal column. She recommended placing the microchip lower along the thoracic region.

Do any of those who attended the symposium recall that topic and what else, if anything, Dr. Rusbridge had to say about microchips?

... Popular Sires......."Fewer than 20% of dogs become parents in their own right, 80% of genetic variation lost each generation"........ "If not addressed will be calamitous for many breeds"......... "sooner or later breeds will lose fertility through breeding depression"...... "We must manage this risk and that inevitably means changing breeding practices"..............."If we don't do anything there is a guarantee that breeds will disappear"

I certainly can understand that if only 20% of dogs become parents, then 80% of genetic variation may be lost, but I would think that this is true of any and all breeds. What percentage of all puppies end up being bred? I would think that the percentage is even lower than 20%. Breeders cull (not kill, just do not breed) probably all but one puppy in any litter, and probably 100% of puppies in other litters.

Following a breed standard would necessitate not breeding a large percentage of offspring. If this is bad policy for the future of a breed, then the entire concept of purebred breeding needs to be revamped, for all breeds.

I had read elsewhere, in a report by Ruth Mayer, that during a question-and-answer session at the symposium, Dr. Rusbridge said that the location of a microchip could interfere with MRI scans of the dog's spinal column. She recommended placing the microchip lower along the thoracic region.

Do any of those who attended the symposium recall that topic and what else, if anything, Dr. Rusbridge had to say about microchips?

We were shown different pictures from one scan that showed quite clearly how the 'hole' caused by the chip interfered with the ability to see a syrinx.

I thought the problem was that vets sometimes put the microchips too far up the neck. I understood that it should be between the shoulder blades, Carol may have taken better notes?

I believe that it has also been said that Clare said only breed young to young. I think there is a mistake here, because it seemed clear to me that Clare was saying that under the new BVA scheme dogs can be scanned at a year, but any such 'C' dog if mated, should be bred to an older clear 'A' dog.

Rod,

I think I heard from one of the KC officials that the written breed standards themselves were not so much of a problem in the vast majority of breeds. But the interpretation of them was.

I think what we may well see in the future is more phenotypic variety within those breed standards as breeders select for health rather than type (or current fashion).

So much depends on the breed judges in the show ring and to what extent they will be guided by the advice the KC says it is giving them.

Carol

So much depends on the breed judges in the show ring and to what extent they will be guided by the advice the KC says it is giving them.

Carol

Don't hold your breath - all the judges at Crufts had a meeting with the KC where they were told to judge for health; in one class I watched, the winner never straightened his back legs on the move, and kept them slightly bent when standing. I was with a friend who is an experienced breeder and we looked at each other and said simultaneously 'Patellas?' And I won't even mention the present furore about German Shepherds! It's going to take a lot of courage for judges to get tough when the whole show scene of judges and breeders is so closely interwoven - but I'm sure there are people who can do it - who have GOT to do it if our dog breeds are going to survive. Even the Bateson Report said that dog shows could be part of the solution, as well as part of the problem.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

It's going to take a lot of courage for judges to get tough when the whole show scene of judges and breeders is so closely interwoven - but I'm sure there are people who can do it - who have GOT to do it if our dog breeds are going to survive. Even the Bateson Report said that dog shows could be part of the solution, as well as part of the problem.
Kate, Oliver and Aled

I cannot see how it will work unless the rewards for showing are also linked to health.

Jeff Sampson said that Tibetan Spaniels had been shown to have an increase in their genetic diversity in the 1980s and this was due to imports from abroad.
He did add that breeders said that since then type in the breed had become very varied.

Show breeders will have to compromise on type to get health?
This will not happen unless only health tested dogs are eligible for the highest awards.

Rod,

I think I heard from one of the KC officials that the written breed standards themselves were not so much of a problem in the vast majority of breeds. But the interpretation of them was.

What is the practical difference between how a breed standard is written and how it is interpreted?

I think what we may well see in the future is more phenotypic variety within those breed standards as breeders select for health rather than type (or current fashion).

I don't see any of that happening voluntarily, based upon my observations since the MVD breeding protocol was introduced 12 years ago. What is the new motivation for the same breeders to start selecting mates more for health than they have in the past? The motivation of eliminating early-onset MVD in three generations was not enough to induce a significant number of breeders to actually follow the MVD breeding protocol.

If so much depends upon breed judges, then all is lost in the USA. The AKC breed judges, for the most part, are contemptuous of the CKCS breed standards that conflict with the conventional wisdom of clipped ("neated up!"), teased, sprayed hair, etc. These people try to qualify to judge as many different breeds as possible, to make them more versatile to all-breed clubs putting on shows. So they tend to lump breed standards together, and the Cavalier is truly a breed apart when it comes to certain breed standards.

He then went on to give a very enthusiastic presentation of Breed Mate, or is it Mate Select? ( I have written both two names down and I am not sure if there is a difference or they are one and the same thing?)

This, as I understood it, is a scheme which will consider not only the health of the puppies but also the impact of the proposed mating on the breed population. It is proposed that it will automatically incorporate health information from official KC/BVA schemes, information from DNA tests will be added by the end of the year and health information from Club schemes, and health information fed in by owners or breeders ( with vet verification ) will also eventually be added.
Jeff said he hopes it will be no more than 12 months before breeders can input health information via KC website.
All this health test information will "sit beside" the name of a particular dog or bitch together with the other registered details.

Someone wishing to mate their bitch would be able chose likely stud dogs, submit 3-4 names and receive back a report which will show 'traffic lights' that indicate how suitable each dog will be for various categories.

This information will be on an open register, so puppy buyers will be encouraged, by information on the KC website, to go and check if there are any red traffic lights before they buy a puppy from any mating. They would only need the full name of the parents to access this information on the KC website.
Margaret does this 24-Feb-10 KC news article give some meaning as to what he might have been very enthusiastic about? Note that the EBV Program is mentioned and which could be available for other breeds even in the form of a first stage for some breeds by providing inbreeding and genetic diversity information which the EBV Program does include. DNA testing could also be included in a later stage and remember the stored Cheek Swabs for Cavalier which later could be tested and the information included in the program. The BVA/KC schemes can help gather health testing information and I noticed a meeting later this month regarding SM/CM. and also the proposed BVA/KC Heart Scheme could include inherited heart diseases for a number of breeds and I'm not talking about just MVD. Anyway have a read of this and which I think the KC may want to have up and running by next Crufts where they may want to promote it extensively.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=2947

I hope the site of Barneys chip doesn't interfere if he gets scanned for the project!!

In case of potential scanning I had Cassies put further back, the vet did look at me strangely untill I said the reason for my request.

I also agree health should be taken into account at shows, ( As someone else mentioned the German Shepherds in the show ring look awful to me very painful to look at!!. My sister has one with lovely high hips and to me he looks as they should be!!

When looking for a new puppy I couldn't stress enough to breeders I spoke to that I what was most important to me was a healthy puppy as possible from health tested parents. I've been very lucky with Barney and hope for the same with Cassie.

And yes I paid a little more than I thought I would but if this supports things like MRI scans as a bit of peace of mind it's ok by me!!

Pleased to say that Cassies breeder had two scanned clear last week too!! :):)

What is the practical difference between how a breed standard is written and how it is interpreted?

SYRINGOMYELIA SYMPOSIUM

What is the new motivation for the same breeders to start selecting mates more for health than they have in the past/

Could I answer Rod with a Snide Comment.

MONEY!!!!!

There are now so many Prospective Cavalier Owners who have been made aware as a Result of the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Program about the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed and are now asking searching questions from Cavalier Breeders before they buy a Cavalier .

Thank-fully not all Cavalier Breeders in the Past have not been Health Conscious about their Cavalier Breeding Stock, but a good number have, and we are where we are ,particularly with the MVD Problem in Cavaliers, 50% will have a Heart Murmur at 5 Years of age.

The only Snag I can think about with this New Mate Select Program, is ,what if the Dog Selected for the Breeder ,the Breeder thinks that Dog will have no Chance of Winning in the The Show Ring,What Then.

Bet

I hope the site of Barneys chip doesn't interfere if he gets scanned for the project!!
Hollys was inserted in the side of her neck,can't recall if it was high or low....hopefully,they'll be able to work round it for Barney if it's obscuring the spinal cord.
Good to know Cassie's breeder is scanning and achieving good results.
Sins

Syringomyelia Symposium

In case of potential scanning I had Cassies put further back, the vet did look at me strangely untill I said the reason for my request.

I also agree health should be taken into account at shows, ( As someone else mentioned the German Shepherds in the show ring look awful to me very painful to look at!!. My sister has one with lovely high hips and to me he looks as they should be!!

When looking for a new puppy I couldn't stress enough to breeders I spoke to that I what was most important to me was a healthy puppy as possible from health tested parents. I've been very lucky with Barney and hope for the same with Cassie.

And yes I paid a little more than I thought I would but if this supports things like MRI scans as a bit of peace of mind it's ok by me!!

Pleased to say that Cassies breeder had two scanned clear last week too!! :):)

Teresa

Could I just mention that there is a Proposal for this very same Subject to be put at the Forth-Coming UK CKCS CLUB'S AGM, .

That any Cavalier ,before He or She is made a Champion ,they must be Health Tested first.

I had made a comment on the List ,saying what a good idea this was, unfortunately I received a Private E-Mail telling me to Zip It , that this was not possible, this has to come from the Kennel Club.

I still wonder why the CKCS CLUB Members at the AGM cannot pass this Proposal ,send it to the KC saying that this is CKCS CLUB'S Wishes.

Bet

Re Microchip insertion - I attended a course to learn to do this just over a year ago.

We were told to insert the chip between the shoulder blades - so this is further back and should not interfere with MRI scans. It certainly has not been a problem with the dogs we have chipped and have subsequently had MRI scanned.

Maybe eariler courses taught that the chips be inserted further forward?

It is very hard to chip young puppies - they recommmend only chipping from 10-12 weeks of age in toy breeds, 8-10 weeks in larger breeds. Having chipped 15 week old puppies, I know that even that is quite difficult!

Cassie was 12 weeks and diddy....didn't want to take her out without a chip though...I wouldn't have had it done any earlier though!!.

Re Microchip insertion - I attended a course to learn to do this just over a year ago.

We were told to insert the chip between the shoulder blades - so this is further back and should not interfere with MRI scans. It certainly has not been a problem with the dogs we have chipped and have subsequently had MRI scanned.

Maybe eariler courses taught that the chips be inserted further forward?
In Australia where I am we have Government Legislation Regulations regarding the microchipping of dogs, cats and horses. As a requirement to insert microchips one must become an Authorised Implanter and that means successfully completed training, and yes there is the VBN287 Microchip Implanter Course. Microchips are implanted between the shoulder blades. There is also Government Legislation that dogs MUST be microchipped before being sold or given away, yes each year even heaps of toy breed puppies have been microchipped at 8 weeks of age. In Australia I have heard of some microchips being inserted elsewhere but they were done before there was any Government Regulation and Implantation Courses.

Yes I attended an official course run by vets, and you are not allowed to be authorised until they are happy with your technique - we actually had to take two of our own dogs and chip them, after practising on a cuddly toy.

They also offer free follow up courses for life.

There is also Government Legislation that dogs MUST be microchipped before being sold or given away

This is so sensible I do wish they would pass that here...

Rachael/Cardinia quotes Clare Rusbridge saying: 'The skull shape changes with CM, a dog can have smaller frontal sinuses.'

This raises an interesting question. People assume that the change in skull shape in Cavaliers - especially deeper stops - is the cause of CM. But could it actually be the result of CM altering the shape of the top and front of the skull? Could CM have been present in Cavaliers (as a genetic mutation of some kind?) long before scanning was possible, and over the years led to the deeper stops which have become so common?

Guesswork - but I like starting interesting hares!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back