• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 or 3?

Cavvygirl

What are your thoughts on going from 2 to 3?

Would you also say that introducing a 3rd would need to be done with alot of caution if they were older rather than a puppy or is it safer to introduce a puppy?

Is there always one left out or does it work differently with dog packs?

Hi
Last August we had Poppy (Tri) who was 14 months and Daisy (Blen) who was then 8 months and i decided to add a 3rd a Ruby so during Sept Rosie aged 9 weeks came to us.She has integrated fine and the three get along really great but i must admit that going from 2 to 3 was a lot bigger jump than from 1 to 2 .
Best wishes

Brian m

Nothing is decided yet at this stage it is just an idea that we are putting alot of thought into. ;)

I can't even remember what the jump from 2 - 3 was like! lol

We had 2, then a really oldie permanent foster came along who was very independent. A few weeks after that we became failed transporters and Kevin joined us. Kevin was a mind-his-own-business kind of dog right from the start.

The foster girl sadly died 3 weeks after Kevin arrived, but they were great friends.

By the time we'd got to 3 'properly', everything just slotted in, cos my gang were used to foster dogs already. Tbh, integration got easier all the time and 6 works ok for us - they have particularly buddies they spend more time with, but that's just like us humans really!

:)

i think it will work out the best if their age is far apart.
otherwise...wow!! a lot of work for you

I must admit I am one of those strange people who thinks 2 is easier than 1:eek:

I think my main concern is not the work for me - although I am not niave enough to believe that an extra dog would just train themselves ;) but whether the generally 2 would welcome another one to the pack or whether 2 is a perfect number?:confused:

Wow Misty I definately know that 6 would be too many for me lol

Well I'll tell you in a few days/weeks.. cause our third is coming tomorrow.. I wonder how the other 2 will react though, especially Qwick after all he's already 8.. And Qwebble I just hope she behaves :p She just has too much energy ;)

Well I'll tell you in a few days/weeks.. cause our third is coming tomorrow.. I wonder how the other 2 will react though, especially Qwick after all he's already 8.. And Qwebble I just hope she behaves :p She just has too much energy ;)

Congratulations ! that's great ! I am sure they will get on well !
As far as I am concerned, I think I can't have three now ! too much work ! and not enough time to walk them. And in Paris, that's awful. But my dream is to have the four colours ! so I will wait a few years, until I retire. It must be wonderful to have a lot of CKC !

Luckily I am at home full time so they have plenty of time and attention so a 3rd would be no trouble for us in terms of time its just my boys that I worry about.......if only I could borrow someones dog to see lol!!

Well Ive just went from one to two, and I havent really noticed much difference....

I do keep getting myself a bit tangled up when we're out on walks though... but Im getting a bit better haha! :rolleyes: :dogwlk::dogwlk:

Good luck with it. Im sure it'll be fine! :D

When I foster I don't find it any more difficult to add the third in. It's definitely more work, and we're convinced that we're happy with two. But the introduction, etc with the third has always gone smoothly.

You have given me a bit of an idea Cathy, perhaps we will see if we can help by fostering when we are back in the uk instead;)

I'm just adding my 2 cents...I have three dogs now, and I say 2 is much easier. My oldest is 14, and I will not get another dog when she passes (at least not right away!) In fact, when she does pass...and 6 months or so goes by...and all of a sudden I'm posting about thinking about getting another dog...someone please remind me that I said this!!!! :dogwlk:

I went from 1-10 without any trouble. I find cavaliers so chilled and easy to get on with others. Yes it may take a few days or weeks but they will all get on in the end and even if they dont quite gel they will learn to live with each other as long as they know who is top dog. Good luck.

I went from 1-10 without any trouble. I find cavaliers so chilled and easy to get on with others. Yes it may take a few days or weeks but they will all get on in the end and even if they dont quite gel they will learn to live with each other as long as they know who is top dog. Good luck.

How do you walk them all? :eek:
Im still trying to master walking two at once! :rolleyes:

We've had as many as 12 in the house at one time (lots of fosters). The biggest difference we had going to 3 was that it was harder to take them with us to people's homes and walks became more challenging but certainly doable! And there is lots more vaccuuming going on. And lots more laughter.

For now things are going quite ok..
There is some more work, but then again, a puppy is always a bit more work in the beginning. So for now everything is going smooth
Qwebble and Qnotje already play a lot together, Qwick likes some distance ;)
But he'll manage in a bit ;)
I think he's just afraid it'll be a tornado like Qwebble was/is.. But Qnotje is so much more relaxed ;) So everything will be fine ;)

How do you walk them all? :eek:
Im still trying to master walking two at once! :rolleyes:

If Im on my own then I take two out at a time but only go twice a day so they all get a turn, the older ones dont go as far, if hubby is with me then we take the younger ones 4 at a time. We are lucky as we live behind a big nature reserve and the walks are lovely. Walking them in only as hard as you make it, they know whos boss and that helps.:)

Back