• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Accidents after neutering

bimmerguy288

Hi all,

Mickey is about 7-months old. He was neutered on April 16. Before that, I considered him fully house broken. He hadn't had any accidents inside the house for at least a month before he was neutered. We were comfortable enough to let him run around the house when we were around.

But in the last two week, he peed twice and pooped three time inside the house, all happened not long after we took him out, and he ate some of his poop too by the time we found out :eek:. We didn't change his routine or diet. I was chatting with a neighbor today and he said it's common for some dogs to have accidents for some time after they are neutered.

I am wondering what your expereince is in that regard.

Thanks!

Bimmerguy

I am also concerned about the procedure experiencing the same problems with my puppy for the last 3 weeks since the surgery. He was almost fully house trained until the surgery. Now also exhibit the same problems weeing and pooping in the house even though taken out at the designated times outsides. He is now not reliable to even roam a 4 by 6 area within our arms length. Hope someone will respond with their wisdom. TIA

I am going to take a little guess here. I am thinking that the accidents are probably unrelated to the neutering. What I am thinking is that when our puppy is eventually (almost) toilet trained... ie somewhere around 6 - 9 months old, we start to let our guard down. We don't take them out quite as often as we used to, we give them more freedom for longer periods of time, and often in rooms that they weren't allowed in before.

Then with all this new freedom... ooops a little accident. Once a little accident happens in the house, it is likely to continue unless we really get rid of the smell.

So what I would do in your situation, is just go back a few steps. Go back to frequent potty breaks outside, limit access to only a few rooms (preferrably without carpet), reward generously for potty outside, and clean up those accidents with a cleaner containing enzymes. Here in Australia we have a laundry powder called Biozet. I have found this great for cleaning up accidents & not having the dogs go back to that spot.

If all of the above fails, then you've really got to go back to square one with the toilet training.... hopefully for only a short time, to re-establish the good toilet behavour.

Caraline, I'm still taking my 12 month old pup out every hour about 6 six times a day. He just won't do it outside, but will immediately wee upon entering the house. My husband has now taken control of potty over him every hour, no wee means no treats and no playing and back into the crate. He doesn't even mind at all and will not go all day and night until first thing in the morning. Hubby says we will do this for the next several weeks just like when he was a little puppy. Hoping to retrain him to his good habits from the beginning.

I agree with Caraline, doubt that it's related to the surgery.

These are both young pups and not totally trained, it can take over a year, although many are "better" if you watch them.

Pinkpuppy, Pardon my confusion, but what does "every hour about 6 times a day" mean?
Are you just excluding the night time, or do you mean approx. every 4 hours?

Is your pup spending most of his day & night in a crate? (because he won't potty).

I do think the stress of the surgery can upset pups for a brief time, but it should not throw their previous training out the window. IMO.

Also, all dogs are different, our Charley had only two accidents and they were both our fault.
Rosie, at 14 months, still has an occasional accident in the house.

Hope both of your pups are soon back on schedule. :)

I am going to take a little guess here. I am thinking that the accidents are probably unrelated to the neutering. What I am thinking is that when our puppy is eventually (almost) toilet trained... ie somewhere around 6 - 9 months old, we start to let our guard down. We don't take them out quite as often as we used to, we give them more freedom for longer periods of time, and often in rooms that they weren't allowed in before.

Then with all this new freedom... ooops a little accident. Once a little accident happens in the house, it is likely to continue unless we really get rid of the smell.

So what I would do in your situation, is just go back a few steps. Go back to frequent potty breaks outside, limit access to only a few rooms (preferrably without carpet), reward generously for potty outside, and clean up those accidents with a cleaner containing enzymes. Here in Australia we have a laundry powder called Biozet. I have found this great for cleaning up accidents & not having the dogs go back to that spot.

If all of the above fails, then you've really got to go back to square one with the toilet training.... hopefully for only a short time, to re-establish the good toilet behavour.

I am not sure if the recent accidents had anything to do with the neuetering either. Maybe they were just coincidences. But we didn't change anything, not his diet, not how often and when we took him out, not the amount of space we let him run around. He was crate trained. He stays in the crate for the night and for the few hours that we aren't home occasionally. All these recent accidents took place on different spots on three different rugs in the house. Our floors are mostly hardwood. We use Nature's Miracle to get rid of the odor (hopefully). Now we are watching him like a hawk and give him treats again when he does his business outside.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time around vets and dog trainers (and take in a lot of dogs for neutering! :lol:) and have never heard any state that dogs will often have accidents after neutering -- unless perhaps right after due to the stress some go through after visits to the vet (and also, a surgery has stress as part of it too!). Strss or change in environment can often trigger some housetraining regresion -- it regularly happens with my rescues. It won't be a hormone reaction to neutering -- it actually takes about two months for the full effects of neutering to take place for the dog so any immediate problem is going to be due to other causes. A 7 month old puppy would be very, very unlikely to be fully housetrained. Also this is the age at which you get backsliding with every aspect of training -- for a dog it is adolescence and housetraining and obedience issues are very common. Another possibility is that you do have a male and males do tend to start marking at exactly this age. He is still full of testosterone and will be for several weeks yet; and thus neutering won't have had any immediate effect on *helping* this behaviour. This is a time when the owner often needs to retrain a dog that is marking:

http://deesdogs.com/documents/marking _2.pdf

And as Caraline notes, mistakes often start around now because owners do as you have been doing -- they start to let down their guard a bit too early (we have all been there!). He probably had done some other wees too inside that may not have been noticed. Also see the whole section on 'adolescent dogs' here! You can see all the different issues that arise in dogs of this age:

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/behavior.html

Note they say:

By 7 months your male pup has FOUR TIMES the testosterone of an intact 2 year old male.

And:

Months 7-9 - Adolescence peaks. "Middle school." A trying time for parents and owners of teenaged kids and pets. This is as bad as it gets! Statistics show the majority of dogs turned over by their owners to animal shelters and rescues are relinquished at 8 months of age. Hooray for neutering! Second fear imprint period. They spook, startle and bolt at the silliest things. Nuisance barking at every leaf that falls, protest barking, sass barking emerges. Easily bored. Bored pups destroy everything in their path. Brain games, problem solving, train, train, train! Exercise of body and mind is essential. Boys lift their legs. Girls will come in season soon if not spayed already. Status challenges emerge.

I always recommend every dog owner getting one of Dr Ian Dunbar's excellent puppy ownership manuals as they usually have instant and helpful answers to these kinds of questions. :)

Back