• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad Breeders

I would never tell anyone not to buy a cavalier. I would tell them not to buy a cavalier from any breeder who isn't doing MRIs, using a cardiologist rather than a vet for heart auscultations before breeding, checking hips/eyes/knees.

I do not tell people not to buy a Cavalier ( although there are days when I seriously wonder whether Cavaliers should continue to be bred ) but I think anyone buying a cavalier should have the risks honestly spelt out to them, and that is why I set up www.cavalierpuppy.co.uk

I will be adding some more information soon.
Faith has now had the mouth swabs done for the new DNA test for Dry Eye/Curly Coat and I will add the report when it arrives. I also intend to add something on understanding pedigrees and how to use the KC Mate Select to see how inbred your dog is, something anyone with a KC registered cavalier can do so easily by just going to http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/inbreed/Default.aspx?breed=6149

though three of mine have SM, two need minor management and have never had other health issues and are now going on 6 and 8. Leo has managed a normal life on gabapentin for 5+ of his going on 8 years; a heart murmur now but no meds for that. Never have had allergies, patella issues, hip problems, and just one so far with serious heart problems (and she has had no other problems, and is nearly 12 -- but this is still a devastating and terrible problem and really she should have had many years ahead that she will not :( ). I fully understand others who have had terrible experiences feeling they would not opt again for a cavalier, and I think there are sad and high risks of serious issues in the breed, but after endless, ongoing consideration of this issue, I'd still (for now!) rather support breeders working to change this than not have this wonderful breed.

I agree we must support such breeders, but I do find it dispiriting that so few well known breeders are whole-heartedly working for change.
High profile health representatives are still registering litters with parents both well under two years of age and not even an eye test done on the mother.

Rather, I have had the experience that would make me argue 1) do not get a cavalier if you are not ready to handle these possible and widespread health issues and 2) that pet owners (and it will have to be them -- they hold all the financial pressure that could force change!) could change EVERYTHING for this breed if they only bought puppies from responsible, properly health testing breeders, avoided BYBs and puppy farmers, and if more went to the club AGMs and voted to benefit the breed so a small cabal isn't allowed to place roadblocks in the way of more seriously addressing breed health issues, starting with personal example of agreeing to abide fully by the club's own best breeding practice advice. When a national committee won't even do that -- proudly and responsibly, to send an important message to all club breeders --then what hope has the breed?

At the Cavalier Club AGM, where that proposal that committee members should breed to their own guidelines was defeated, there was great indignation expressed about a non-club breeder whose brood bitch had produced 4 litters before the age of three.
It was said a committee member would be appointed to scrutinise registrations and pick out breedings that so exploit these poor little cavaliers.

I wonder who will get that task?

Not, I hope, the committee member that co-owns a young dog that sired 23 litters before he was two, and a little bitch that had two litters before her second birthday?

Nor I hope, the committee member who advised a board member here that she should buy a puppy from an 18 month old sire who, like the dam, had never been heart tested, because 'they were from good heart lines'... :sl*p:

AS I said in my Previous Post ,get the Public told ,

DO NOT BUY A CAVALIER !!!!!.

Because of their Horrendous Health Problems of SM and MVD and what the Medication costs to help their Suffering.

What other way is there, none that I can think of.

Bet

I would never tell people NOT to buy a Cavalier. But I do not downplay their serious health issues. I always give them my contact information and tell them they are welcome to contact me if they become seriously interested in the breed. Usually by the time I finish telling them our various ailments and potentially serious issues, they are shied away from the breed....and that's okay. The ones who do contact me, I know they've researched, accepted the risks, and are really interested. I want to help them. There's no reason to make people fearful of the breed but rather to educate them and encourage them to support breeders who do the appropriate health checks. My main goal is to steer them away from the BYBs.

I would not tell people not to buy a Cavalier as they are truly an amazing breed. It’s just I don’t know how I would cope if my three would suffer from SM or the later stage of MVD. It’s not the money or time spend, it’s seeing your dog suffer that would break my heart. That’s why I might not have a Cavalier again.

The amount of people that stopped me with Harley at Olympia asking about Cavaliers. My husband and I spend a lot of time talking to people telling people about the health problems, puppyfarms and irresponsible breeders. As more people that can be educated the better.

I would not tell people not to buy a Cavalier as they are truly an amazing breed. It’s just I don’t know how I would cope if my three would suffer from SM or the later stage of MVD. It’s not the money or time spend, it’s seeing your dog suffer that would break my heart. That’s why I might not have a Cavalier again.
Dillon literally died in my arms when his heart suddenly stopped, due to his MVD. I thought I would never ever be able to have another Cavalier and risk going through that again. :(

I lasted eight months. :-D

Bad breeders

Dillon literally died in my arms when his heart suddenly stopped, due to his MVD. I thought I would never ever be able to have another Cavalier and risk going through that again. :(

I lasted eight months. :-D

BAD BREEDERS

If I can explain why I said what I did.

If the Cavalier Buying Public can be Shocked by being told about the State of our Cavaliers' Health Problems , and less Cavaliers are being sold ,then is it not possible that the Cavalier Breeders who don't care about the Health Problems in our Breed ,when their Income dries up from the Non Sale of Cavaliers ,the ones who do care will be left to try and save the Breed.

I know that when you try to explain to the Public about the Serious Problems the Breed has, their Eyes just Glaze Over when it's mentioned to them to buy Cavaliers from Breeders who are doing Health Tests.

Iv'e been doing this for over 20 years now with the MVD problem

Got no-where .

That is what opened my Eyes to thinking that the only way to try and get the Message across to Folk wanting a Cavalier .is what happened on the Pedigree Dog Exposed TV Program,give them such a Shock especially about CM/SM and how it affects Cavaliers ,that they will have Two Thoughts about buying a Cavalier.

I'm sorry if Iv'e offended some Folk here , but I just cannot see any other way of tackling the Health Problem now in our Breed .

Start with the Cavalier Buying Public , get them told about the Risks of Buying a Cavalier and hopefully some will listen,we all know that if some-one want's a Cavalier then they will buy one, but if it's Hammered home to them that the Cavaliers have Such Serious Health Problems ,such as their Brains Being Too Big for for Their Skulls, that might just work.

It certainly looks as if there is going to no Help for the Cavalier Breed from the Kennel Club's Mate Select Information when they have stated ,for the Cavaliers ,there is no Data Stored for either CM/SM or MVD.

Bet

BAD BREEDERS

It certainly looks as if there is going to no Help for the Cavalier Breed from the Kennel Club's Mate Select Information when they have stated ,for the Cavaliers ,there is no Data Stored for either CM/SM or MVD.

Bet

Hi Bet
I think the reason there is not information stored at present may be that the official schemes are not up and running yet. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong LOL.
Hopefully, when they are in place and fully working, the information will be added.
All the best
Sue

Back